Two young teenagers die, one seriously injured after crashing their motorcycle into a truck

snoop1130

1653380718613-696x522.jpg

Two 14-to-15-year-old minors died while one sustained serious injuries after crashing their motorcycle into a parked pickup truck’s rear this morning.

Earlier this morning, May 24th, Pol. Capt. Sanan Kotanon from the Pattaya Police Station responded to a fatal road accident on Sukhumvit Rd, Nong Prue sub-district, Bang Lamung, Chonburi.

Police found a red and black Honda Wave 110 stamped into the rear of a parked bronze Toyota pickup truck.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Police also found three male victims who appeared to be minors between the ages of 14 and 15. The first victim reportedly died at the scene, and the second died on the way to a local hospital. The last victim, however, survived but sustained serious injuries.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/24/two-young-teenagers-die-one-seriously-injured-after-crashing-their-motorcycle-into-a-truck-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

What is the minimum age to get a Thai driver license?

The minimum age to drive a motor vehicle is 18, and to drive a motorcycle is 15. Driving licence is issued and administered by the Department of Land Transport, Ministry of Transport and its branches, land transport offices across Thailand.

Edited by Tarteso

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Once again three underage boys on a bike, unfortunately as has been said many times until the police or courts start handing out severe punishment as a deterrent for these actions nothing will ever change, people know they will only receive a slap on the wrist.

And what about the parents who supposedly should control their kids and not allow them to break the law by letting them play on motorbikes whilst underage ? Guess they and their friends will be sorry for losing a son but at the end of the day they allowed it to happen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

And what about the parents who supposedly should control their kids and not allow them to break the law by letting them play on motorbikes whilst underage ? Guess they and their friends will be sorry for losing a son but at the end of the day they allowed it to happen.

I agree, but this also goes hand in hand with handing out sever punishments either by confiscating the bikes or heavy fines, we all realise that such fines will have to be paid by the parents as 14 & 15 year old's will not have the money therefore in effect they would be punishing the parents.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

The parents should be punished as they are legally responsible for their children.

As I said I agree, so what would you recommend as a suitable punishment other than what I stated ??

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Once again three underage boys on a bike, unfortunately as has been said many times until the police or courts start handing out severe punishment as a deterrent for these actions nothing will ever change, people know they will only receive a slap on the wrist.

My truck is not available to me at the moment so I was out and about on the scooter. I recall being at the lights thinking, why do I have to wear a helmet when many around me aren't bothering... also observing people going through red lights etc etc, ad-infinitum. That is the police being inactive.... there is also the point that kids parents don't stop them doing these things too....  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

As I said I agree, so what would you recommend as a suitable punishment other than what I stated ??

I would say have their bikes crushed but the parents allowed their kids to do it themselves. The only thing that Thais react to is loss of face so just publish in a official but publicly available document, their names and result of their irresponsibility.  Eventually the penny will drop perhaps.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

this morning.

The picture is predawn. 

What were a 14 and 15 year old doing out on a motorbike in the dead of night? Going to an extracurricular study period in preparation for school exams?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My truck is not available to me at the moment so I was out and about on the scooter. I recall being at the lights thinking, why do I have to wear a helmet when many around me aren't bothering... also observing people going through red lights etc etc, ad-infinitum. That is the police being inactive.... there is also the point that kids parents don't stop them doing these things too....  

"..why do I have to wear a helmet when many around me aren't bothering..." Really? You don't know? Maybe to increase you chance of living in case you are hit by "people going through red lights etc etc, ad-infinitum."

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

15 years old for a motorcycle license and 18 years old for a car license.

Ain't there a restriction that 15 years can only drive up to 110cc before they're 18?

On 5/25/2022 at 11:29 AM, Emdog said:

"..why do I have to wear a helmet when many around me aren't bothering..." Really? You don't know? Maybe to increase you chance of living in case you are hit by "people going through red lights etc etc, ad-infinitum."

What do you think... go on, try it for a minute. I have managed 16 years so far.

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What do you think... go on, try it for a minute. I have managed 16 years so far.

Same sort of logic to "I only wear seat belts when I think I'll be in a car crash". Let's hear from the group that didn't wear helmets and were killed and or brain damaged before we draw too many conclusions. By being able to post, I assume you aren't in the nix crowd. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.... cheers

On 5/25/2022 at 10:02 PM, PoorSucker said:

Ain't there a restriction that 15 years can only drive up to 110cc before they're 18?

I thought it was only up to 90cc at 15 which turned out to be worthless as Thailand no longer make or import 90cc bikes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

Same sort of logic to "I only wear seat belts when I think I'll be in a car crash". Let's hear from the group that didn't wear helmets and were killed and or brain damaged before we draw too many conclusions. By being able to post, I assume you aren't in the nix crowd. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.... cheers

I have just said I have been wearing a helmet here for 16 years...  just irritates me to see the locals not bothering all around me. I just know if I took mine off I would probably be flagged down selectively. 

• Like 1