Alleged Estonian drug dealer on Interpol’s red notice list caught after hiding for four years

snoop1130

424812-696x522.jpg

An alleged Estonian drug dealer on Interpol’s red notice list was arrested in Pattaya after being on the loose for four years, according to Chonburi Immigration officials. 

Pol. Col. Thanawat Poonsawat, police chief of the Chonburi Immigration Center, and other relevant officers arrested Janno Ojaste, a 39-year-old Estonian alleged drug dealer on  Interpol’s red notice list issued on February 1st. The suspect was wanted by the Estonian police for alleged large drug possession and distribution. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The Chonburi police, in collaboration with the Investigation Immigration Division, conducted an investigation and discovered Janno “hiding” on Soi 5 near Pratumnak Rd, Pattaya, Bang Lamung, Chonburi. On May 17th, he was apprehended by police for having an expired visa that had been ineffective since December 8th, 2018.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/24/alleged-estonian-drug-dealer-on-interpols-red-notice-list-caught-after-hiding-in-pattaya-area-for-four-years/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Just yet another example of why 90 day reporting is pointless - only the good guys ever bother doing it. I've yet to read a story of anyone on the red notice list being arrested when turning up for his nonsense reporting 

Why would you think that? You do not think that the system is telling them about the ones that do not make the reports. it might even be that they check a list of people, that do not report, and after that send out requests to arrest the ones with warrants or suspected illegal activities when seen. Why would they otherwise find and arrest this guy? Did he run up to a police and state his name, illegal occupation and asked to be arrested?

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

He has hid in plain sight for the last 3 years with a mask on covid has been the crims savior ????

Take that mask off and the smart car is gunna git ya

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why would you think that? You do not think that the system is telling them about the ones that do not make the reports. it might even be that they check a list of people, that do not report, and after that send out requests to arrest the ones with warrants or suspected illegal activities when seen. Why would they otherwise find and arrest this guy? Did he run up to a police and state his name, illegal occupation and asked to be arrested?

Obviously Mr G you do THINK that the system is telling them, and that they MIGHT be etc.

But do you know this for a fact.?

Certainly the information is there on the system if they have the time or inclination to monitor it. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, rott said:

Obviously Mr G you do THINK that the system is telling them, and that they MIGHT be etc.

But do you know this for a fact.?

Certainly the information is there on the system if they have the time or inclination to monitor it. 

No, I do not know at all how they work. The only thing I am referring to is general functions in systems that have been in use for long time. I chose to do that, instead of just looking down at police and immigration that so many on this forum chose to do. I see no reason coming to, and living, in a country just to look down on authorities just because things work different than in my home country. If I thought that was so good, then I would have chosen to stay there. A thing many complainers and haters here should heed the advice from.

Instead we can say, nice job. They caught the <deleted>! They got one drug dealer off the streets in Thailand. If that has to do with 90 day report system, tip from the public or solid police work? Never mind, as they are the ones that finally arrested the piece of 5h1t.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, I do not know at all how they work. The only thing I am referring to is general functions in systems that have been in use for long time. I chose to do that, instead of just looking down at police and immigration that so many on this forum chose to do. I see no reason coming to, and living, in a country just to look down on authorities just because things work different than in my home country. If I thought that was so good, then I would have chosen to stay there. A thing many complainers and haters here should heed the advice from.

Instead we can say, nice job. They caught the <deleted>! They got one drug dealer off the streets in Thailand. If that has to do with 90 day report system, tip from the public or solid police work? Never mind, as they are the ones that finally arrested the piece of 5h1t.

I forgot to put manpower before time etc.

It would be interesting to know how they eventually got to him. Interesting but unlikely. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Likely immigration can print out overstayers names of those that haven’t been reporting or renewed VISAs and not on record to have flown out. 
Cross checking with the landlords mandatory reporting the IDs of residents. 
Should be a piece of cake to find them and a priority for a person on the Interpol wanted list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

I forgot to put manpower before time etc.

It would be interesting to know how they eventually got to him. Interesting but unlikely. 

What manpower before time?? Delusion?

Also what is unlikely? They already have him, and that is what is important.

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The RTP get a lot of stick, often unfairly IMHO.

Steady on; I know it's big news when RTP solve any crime, (usually through someone 'confiding' to the police) rather than any investigative procedure.  We're talking about someone who evaded the Kwaistone cops for four years despite an Interpol red notice which makes a nonsense of all the hoops the good guys jump through.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What manpower before time?? Delusion?

Also what is unlikely? They already have him, and that is what is important.

1) I meant to say manpower, time and inclination but I omitted manpower.

2) I said it is unlikely we will ever know how they caught him.

If you had read my posts before commenting my comments would make more sense. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Likely immigration can print out overstayers names of those that haven’t been reporting or renewed VISAs and not on record to have flown out. 
Cross checking with the landlords mandatory reporting the IDs of residents. 
Should be a piece of cake to find them and a priority for a person on the Interpol wanted list. 

The operative words there are can and should.

If they can not, the whole operation is a complete waste of (our) time and effort. 

Thailand... The land of thieves, malcontents, and miscreants ???? Always a great place for international bad guys to hangout and lay low (for years it seems). Maybe not a great place for the well healed wealthy Thailand seems so eager to attract. Stay in your lane Thailand, stick to what you know ????

I wonder why he only got a 4,000 baht overstay fine, and not the 20,000 max.  4 years is a sizeable time over.  One thing IDC does well is incentivize people to pay up and get out.

On 5/25/2022 at 4:48 AM, Gottfrid said:

Certainly better logic.   If anything 'address' reporting should be even more frequent.  

12 minutes ago, swerve said:

I wonder why he only got a 4,000 baht overstay fine, and not the 20,000 max.  4 years is a sizeable time over.  One thing IDC does well is incentivize people to pay up and get out.

That may have been the fine in Court , rather than at an immigration office . 

on estonian police website he is still as searched for

https://www.politsei.ee/et/tagaotsitavad-inimesed/janno.ojaste-1983

For that many years he was probably on a stolen or fake passport, with fake visa and extension stamps, that's why has survived almost completely empty Pattaya for the last 2 years.

Was he still running his business on the dark net?

Large drug possession means in kilograms and with millions euros involved.

Splashing money around, luxurious lifestyle often gives up criminals