eVisa maximum validity?

Is it correct that if I'm a citizen of one of the "elegible countries" I can get an eVisa with a validity of 2 months? How long can I extend this evisa at maximum, 1 or 2 months?

I also read about a requirement of needing to have a return ticket to one's home country. Is this strictly enforced, or could it also be a cheap ticket out of Thailand?

A e visa will be valid for the amount of time the visa type you get is valid for.

A single entry non immigrant visa is valid for 3 months and a multiple entry is valid for one year from the day it issued.

A tourist visa is valid 3 months.

A tourist visa requires a return or onward ticket out of the country to apply for it.

If you have a valid visa a return or onward ticket is not required when entering the country.

Thanks, but I find it a bit confusing. I quote:

"A tourist visa requires a return or onward ticket out of the country to apply for it.

If you have a valid visa a return or onward ticket is not required when entering the country."

So I need a return or onward ticket to apply for an e visa? But then once I have successfully applied for such an e visa a return or onward ticket is not required anymore when I enter Thailand?

Are you asking about the validity of the visa or length of permission of stay? Unless an evisa is different I thought a tourist visa has to be used within 3 months of issue 

and allows a 2 month permission of stay that can be extended by another 30 days at an immigration office - no onward ticket required. A visa exemption requires an onward ticket out of Thailand that may/may not  be asked for by the airline before boarding or by  immigration on arrival. A visa exemption can also be extended by 30 days at immigration.

eVisa does not have any specific privileges. It is the same as old apply through mail or in person visa application. Now in certain countries, you can apply for the same visa from the comfort of your home. The visa validity remains the same as outlined by @ubonjoe. Visa validity is not same as the permission of stay. THough a tourist visa application says that you need an exit ticket (or return ticket) for the application, many people have received TB with a one way ticket also. 

My mistake, sorry for the confusion : I'm interested in the length of permission of stay of an e (tourist) visa. Would that be 2 months which then can be extended once with 1 month?

@CartagenaWarlock: what is a TB?

2 hours ago, bodo said:

"A tourist visa requires a return or onward ticket out of the country to apply for it.

If you have a valid visa a return or onward ticket is not required when entering the country."

So I need a return or onward ticket to apply for an e visa? But then once I have successfully applied for such an e visa a return or onward ticket is not required anymore when I enter Thailand?

I find the response confusing as well

1 hour ago, bodo said:

My mistake, sorry for the confusion : I'm interested in the length of permission of stay of an e (tourist) visa. Would that be 2 months which then can be extended once with 1 month?

@CartagenaWarlock: what is a TB?

Almost. A tourist visa will allow you to stay 60 days which can be extended for 30 days.

2 hours ago, bodo said:

Correct. Airline check in people and immigration on artrival will not ask for it.

But apparently the evisa form requires it. Makes no sense now that land borders have opened - one could be planning to leave Thailand  overland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Correct. Airline check in people and immigration on artrival will not ask for it.

But apparently the evisa form requires it. Makes no sense now that land borders have opened - one could be planning to leave Thailand  overland.

That’s a good point I never thought of that.I prefer the old system.I lived quite near a Thai consulate that I would visit in person.All they ever wanted was to put my details on a form.Couple of passport photos,pay the fee then have tourist visa in passport ready to go.Then could book my flight when it suited me.In it’s current form I have less flexibility.

14 hours ago, bodo said:

It does sound confusing.  But you are dealing with 2 different Ministries.

To get the Visa, you apply at an Embassy/Consulate which follows the rules of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MofFA). 

Entering the country  and getting extensions is the purview of the Immigration Bureau (part of the Ministry of the Interior).

To obtain the Visa (MofFA) you must show evidence you have an onward ticket out of Thailand.  Upon arrival, although having the ticket is still a requirement, Thai Immigration seldom if ever asks to see it - in other words, they don't enforce the requirement when entering. 

• Like 1