Internet For Laptop.

Neeranam

As usual when in this sub forum, I have to say that I know nothing about computers.

I'm getting a new laptop this week and wonder about getting the best internet connection.

We're going to the beach next month and I want to sit on my deckchair and use the internet.

Would I be best to buy a new phone, that I can attach to the laptop by cable? Are the phones expensive?

Would it be bettter to buy one of those things(modem?) that you stick into the computer and stick a SIM card into? Are they expensive?

Cheers

NN

As usual when in this sub forum, I have to say that I know nothing about computers.

I'm getting a new laptop this week and wonder about getting the best internet connection.

We're going to the beach next month and I want to sit on my deckchair and use the internet.

Would I be best to buy a new phone, that I can attach to the laptop by cable? Are the phones expensive?

Would it be bettter to buy one of those things(modem?) that you stick into the computer and stick a SIM card into? Are they expensive?

Cheers

NN

Hi Neeranam,

If you do not have a Wireless Connection (WIFI) i would take the option to use GPRS via Bluetooth. You need to have a bluethooth Dongle for your Laptop cost about 300 THB (or Bluetooth is already installed) and a Mobile Phone that has bluetooth as well. Then get yourself the Cheapest GPRS Rate it is currently from AIS (i think) but i prefer Dtac (because speeds are better) . next you try it out at home....connect your Laptop via Bluetooth & Mobile phone to the Gprs Network. Speeds are not great but you may get up to Dial up speeds.

Hope that helps,

rcm

A lot will depend on the laptop that you are getting... most new laptops have WiFi and Bluetooth. WiFi will serve you well if the place you're serving has the service. If you are going to be somewhere where you need to connect by cellphone, you would do well to get a phone with bluetooth capabilities (provided your new laptop has it also). This would allow you to connect to the net through the cellphone with no cable.

An Aircard (one of those things(modem?) that you stick into the computer and stick a SIM card into) is an expensive way to go. They are about 10K baht. You can get a good phone for this money (or less!)

I cross posted with RCM- said about the same thing he did!

Depends again on the phone... but most will let you talk and surf at the same time. You might notice a slow-down of internet speed while you are talking, but you will remain conected.

I have two different laptops, a Dell E1505 and a Compaq Presario X1050. The screen on either one of them cannot be viewed well when out in the bright sun. Hence taking it to the beach and getting internet service would be the least of my troubles.

Does anyone else have this problem (not being able to see the images on their screen while out in the bright sunlight)? I've read somewhere that some of the higher-end models have a light sensor to tell them to transition to a black-white screen when in the sunlight. Is this true?

Edited by Gumballl