Roadside assistance available to purchase for used cars?

In the USA there is AAA. A paid for service that helps a stranded motorist (and much more) for a yearly fee. Is there anything like this for Thailand?

I am thinking of doing some traveling by myself around Thailand and I do not speak the language so if the car breaks in the middle of Nakhon Nowhere I would not know who to call.

This type of service comes free with new cars from Honda and Suzuki and I'd guess the others do as well.

TIA

Edited by jmd8800
  • Thanks 1

This is usually part of first class insurance.

But if you break down and ask the locals for help, even if you don't speak the language, somebody will understand you and call somebody to tow you, in my opinion there is not much to worry about.

To not be ripped off just agree on a price before somebody tows you.

• Like 1

IF you break down on an expressway you will get towed off the nearest exit ramp quite quickly. 

From there the Police will help you arrange for a tow company to your dealership or a dealership. 

Credit Card Companies in Thailand often / sometimes come with Auto-recovery *(at least CityBank do) - I’ve used it threes times for a car and once for motorcycle (quick and convenient). 

I’ve even been upcountry (6 hours outside of BKK) and had a blow out, local tire shops didn’t have a the right size tire - A tireshop in BKK sorted out the right tire and sent a set up for me on the bus, they had someone from a local tire-shop meet the bus collect the tires - I changed all 4 tires the next day. 

Of course the tire shop couldn’t fit them (22” alloys) and they had to take my car to another place, I got concerned when they just got in and drove off !!! - I watched my car disappear...  then someone in the shop told me what was going on....  (a good reason to have insurance for the car not just named driver btw !)...  

I’ve digressed, the point I want to make is that when something goes a little awry in Thailand help is always very close at hand....   and because of this I’m not sure if a yearly membership to a nationwide recovery service would be advantageous because the ‘local guys’ will probably always be able to tow you to a dealership / garage cheaper than a yearly membership fee. 

Failing that take insurance with a company such as https://www.roojai.com/en/roadside-assistance/

• Like 1

The insurance companies contract out the work to actual roadside assistance companies like Car World Club or Mondial roadside assistance

Most decent insurance broker, even a 3rd or 2nd class insurance will have a free roadside assistance thrown in,  good for once or twice a year, that should be enough and cheaper than getting an annual membership from the actual roadside assistance companies 

• Like 1