Victoria’s Secret pays $8.3m settlement to sacked Thai workers

webfact

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Off those 1250 laid off workers, I wonder how many were actual employee's and how many were labour hire.

Labour hire are not entitled to severance payments as far as I know.

Agency workers yes.

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yes they are entitled to severance ?

Who pays that, the agency (their employer) or the company they were contracted to (not their employer) ?

Why are you concerned and interested in this topic?

We all know that you work here in Thailand.

In your workplace, do you have poor working conditions, not getting what you're owed, are you concerned about when you get the sack? 

These are all issues with working in Thailand, poor wages and conditions etc, put up with it or get a job where you're from. 

I've worked in many countries and Thailand for a long time. 

Thailand is not the place I'd like to work and get paid in Thai Baht, when I've worked in Thailand I get paid U.S. dollars and working conditions to those of the west. 

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why are you concerned and interested in this topic?

We all know that you work here in Thailand.

In your workplace, do you have poor working conditions, not getting what you're owed, are you concerned about when you get the sack? 

These are all issues with working in Thailand, poor wages and conditions etc, put up with it or get a job where you're from. 

I've worked in many countries and Thailand for a long time. 

Thailand is not the place I'd like to work and get paid in Thai Baht, when I've worked in Thailand I get paid U.S. dollars and working conditions to those of the west. 

Just trying to establish if the 1250 number is accurate or not, sorry if this annoys you.... Rather than a repeat long winded post it might be best if you put me on ignore.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The factory also produced underwear for plus size American brands Lane Bryant and Torrid, owned by Sycamore Partners — but only Victoria’s Secret contributed to the settlement via a loan arrangement with the factory’s owners.

I hope they got a fair severance payment plus interest on salaries owed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You have to be paid in Thai Baht as per Thai law unless you have a legal document consenting to be paid in USD. 

If you were working legally, you will have also have to have paid taxes, and file an annual tax return with the revenue dept.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Just trying to establish if the 1250 number is accurate or not, sorry if this annoys you.... Rather than a repeat long winded post it might be best if you put me on ignore.

I don't block anyone, but I would like to not receive or somehow block the sad and confused reactions I get at times, bloody annoying. 

I'd like these members to reply in a courtesy way as you have done, this would allow me to reply in a professional manner. 

I've been stalked by a couple of members in the past who would continually give me a confused or sad reaction to my comments for no reason, just to annoy. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You have to be paid in Thai Baht as per Thai law unless you have a legal document consenting to be paid in USD. 

If you were working legally, you will have also have to have paid taxes, and file an annual tax return with the revenue dept.

Nope, my company pays my salary every month, no matter what country I work, always in USD. 

My salary, bonuses all in USD. 

My employer provides the necessary work permits for every country I work. 

52 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nope, my company pays my salary every month, no matter what country I work, always in USD. 

My salary, bonuses all in USD. 

My employer provides the necessary work permits for every country I work. 

Offshore worker?

If so, see what I posted above. It still applies to rig pigs (of which I used to be one, now don't have to go offshore as I am the boss). ????

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Offshore worker?

If so, see what I posted above. It still applies to rig pigs (of which I used to be one, now don't have to go offshore as I am the boss). ????

Yes, offshore worker. 

I get paid in USD 

I see USD in my Foreign currency bank account. 

I'm not admin or payroll, I've no idea what goes on back end. 

USD is my salary. 

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, offshore worker. 

I get paid in USD 

I see USD in my Foreign currency bank account. 

I'm not admin or payroll, I've no idea what goes on back end. 

USD is my salary. 

I fully understand what they do as when I worked for companies based in Singapore or elsewhere with Thai subsidiaries that was what they were doing also. Drilling contractors being the worst offenders. 

They have been cracking down on the tax avoidance by expats in the petroleum sector recently, few mates have come a cropper, probably due to everything being nationalised under PTT. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I fully understand what they do as when I worked for companies based in Singapore or elsewhere with Thai subsidiaries that was what they were doing also. Drilling contractors being the worst offenders. 

They have been cracking down on the tax avoidance by expats in the petroleum sector recently, few mates have come a cropper, probably due to everything being nationalised under PTT. 

Yes, offshore drilling. 

My employer pays all my local taxes.

Every year I get a tax payment certificate.

I work legally. 

Some of the smaller drilling companies may do things illegally, no taxes, no work permits etc., not my business. 

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

My previous job I was paid USD outside of Thailand.

But also 50k a month baht to meet the  requirements to get an extension.

Was a great set up as the money paid USD into my HSBC account was 100% savings as the 50k paid baht covered my monthly living expenses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

He must have been lucky ???? I would never ask to be paid with <deleted> US dollars.