Foreign tourist found seriously injured while trying to park a motorbike in Pattaya

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Pattaya, Thailand - A man that Pattaya police identified as a foreign tourist was found seriously injured by nearby pedestrians while attempting to park a motorbike last night in Pattaya.

At 12:30 A.M Sawang Boriboon rescue workers and Pattaya police were called to an area by a Tesco Lotus and Chaiyapreuk for a foreign tourist who had suffered a serious head injury and was found after apparently trying to stop or park his motorbike.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

It was unclear if the injury had occurred prior to the tourist attempting to stop. The tourist had been given initial assistance by nearby pedestrians.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/29/foreign-tourist-found-seriously-injured-while-trying-to-park-a-motorbike-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

I've toppled over, well, the scooter, more time than myself, but it does happen.  Even with very experience drivers.

Renting to unlicensed, inexperienced drivers of, would be part of it.  As my 1st scooter toppled more than a few times.  Got to remember to put that kickstand down, and properly.  Chalk them up to inexperience.

2nd scooter (USA) even laid on the ground a few times, after years of experienced riding ... ????  More because it weighed near 300 kgs / 617 lbs, so once leaning far enough, it was going to topple.

Not that much of a problem here, <100-150 kg scooters.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

Sanjay?

Looks a Syrian turist. (the scene shows the tourist, identified as Mohammad Akhter..) Name is clearly Arab or Muslim… The translation of his surname means "Good luck" ????

Edited by Tarteso

2 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Mohammad & alcohol ? ????

Makes a change from "Mohammed and the missing gold necklace after a  Close Encounter of The 3rd Gender " tale.

Although need to ascertain the precise cause of the back of head injury to completely rule out a wayward stiletto.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And regarding the head injury, many people still think that: 'Oh I don't need my helmet, I'm only popping down to the shops'.

It's their head. If they want to protect it or not is their personal decision. 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Looks to me as if he thought he'd put the side stand down and hadn't!

It reminds me of an old pilot's clique. 'The flight's not over until the engines are off and chocks are in place'.

And regarding the head injury, many people still think that: 'Oh I don't need my helmet, I'm only popping down to the shops'.

Another sign of a good pilot, seeing him walk around the outside of the plane checking that everything's ok before takeoff. Saw an American Airlines pilot doing this at Birmingham, UK Airport many years ago.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Another sign of a good pilot, seeing him walk around the outside of the plane checking that everything's ok before takeoff. Saw an American Airlines pilot doing this at Birmingham, UK Airport many years ago.

It's mandatary for all pilots, civil and military before every flight.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

When I was ground crew in the RAF decades ago we also did a walk around taking off pitot covers, static plugs, control locks etc and that was before the pilot did HIS walk around. Sometimes we would deliberately leave something not removed to see if he was awake enough to see it.

51 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I would imagine that is a requirement of the airline's pre-fly checks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

After all, what could possibly go wrong when you rent motorcyles out without checking for a license in a place where alcohol flows like water?

Doesn't need to have alcohol involved just inexpiriance .  I was walking on 2nd Road ,Pattaya a few years ago saw guy just renting a bike.  Sat down on it and  then gave it full throtle throwing the bike (rear wheel) into the air. Too many tourists who have never riden a scooter renting them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Doesn't need to have alcohol involved just inexpiriance .  I was walking on 2nd Road ,Pattaya a few years ago saw guy just renting a bike.  Sat down on it and  then gave it full throtle throwing the bike (rear wheel) into the air. Too many tourists who have never riden a scooter renting them.

I agree with you but I have seen enough tourists leaving a bar and jumping on a scooter/motorbike at the end of the night to understand that drink may also be a factor.

I have a full M/C license but I haven't ridden a bike since I sold my last one (about 20 years ago), so I would feel wary getting back on a bike now.

Why some idiots think that they can sit on a bike for the first time in their life and handle the bike to a level that would make Barry Sheene green with envy beats me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I agree with you but I have seen enough tourists leaving a bar and jumping on a scooter/motorbike at the end of the night to understand that drink may also be a factor.

I have a full M/C license but I haven't ridden a bike since I sold my last one (about 20 years ago), so I would feel wary getting back on a bike now.

Why some idiots think that they can sit on a bike for the first time in their life and handle the bike to a level that would make Barry Sheene green with envy beats me.

Yep, agree with you, I passed my test in the army at 16 years old, because it was army I was riding a 350cc at 16 years old, never been on once since and I'm very close to 69 years of age ????

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

From the name I'm assuming he's a fellow Brit.

It's an accident that could happen to anyone, I managed to break my jaw falling of a bicycle, I was perfectly sober and wearing a helmet. My ancient pal broke his hip, after toppling his m/c over when he was stopped in his driveway. Also perfectly sober.

Accidents happen all the time, all over the world, if you're lucky you get up and walk away.

But sometimes the seriousness of the injury is out of all proportion to the accident.

Quite agree. When I was training for my motorcycle licence one of the trainers told me he had come off at 60mph in a country lane, ended up in a field and walked away, couple of years later he come off at about 15mph over a speed hump and broke his leg. Pure luck how you fall.

• Like 1