Pilot swaps the skies for the streets! Udon man hit by pandemic delivers for Grab instead

webfact

image.jpeg

Image: Siam Rath

Siam Rath went to visit a commercial pilot from Udon Thani after he made an amusing Facebook post.

Ditthawat Wongkamchan or "Eddie" went to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand to renew his commercial pilot's licence.

But he was dressed in the garb of his new employment - as a Grab food delivery rider.

The clerk said "Are you here to delivery food?"

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Eddie explained that no, he was here to update his licence, a situation that caused some mirth.

Eddie explained that the pandemic meant he couldn't get work in the skies so he had decided to go to Bangkok to get money to support his wife and three children. 

It was a case of needs must for the pilot who has swapped the sky for more terrestrial employment in the last two years. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

One of just a few laid off.  It's a wonder that the big wigs of the airlines keep on pulling in their money while others are booted to the curb...No unemployment compensation to be paid here like in the US.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

One of just a few laid off.  It's a wonder that the big wigs of the airlines keep on pulling in their money while others are booted to the curb...No unemployment compensation to be paid here like in the US.

One of the many benefits of running a boondoggle. 

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I learned a long time ago that we are all dispensable when it serves those that pay us, not that I have ever been laid off.

Best thing anyone working can do is to wake up and escape the cycle, i.e. have as little debt as possible, invest what they have and keep doing it and then when the time is right, break off those shackles and earn your keep via your investments and if that means moving country, so be it, worked for me and was the best thing I ever did.

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One of just a few laid off.  It's a wonder that the big wigs of the airlines keep on pulling in their money while others are booted to the curb

:huh:

Which airline employed him and laid him off??

47 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

:huh:

Which airline employed him and laid him off??

Would have been nice to add it to the story but then you and I both know that defamation laws would crucify him and the OP Poster.

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Would have been nice to add it to the story but then you and I both know that defamation laws would crucify him and the OP Poster.

No, you don't know that he was employed by an airline, and jumped to assumptions. ????

• Haha 1