Removing copper from the pool

fft100

I have seen in the USA a product called jack's magic blue stuff which removes copper and allows the filter to collect it.

Has anyone seen this, or anything like it, in Thailand ?   Normal copper stain removers remove the copper but it is still in the water (filter won't trap it apparently) and at some point it will reattach itself to the grout again.  

If I have to use a Thai copper stain remover (and then drain the pool I suppose), does anyone have any recommendations?  Always good to use one that is known to work !

The problem I reported below may be the copper algaecide I used.   Adding lots of chlorine afterwards to try to get rid of the staining may have made the situation worse and turned the stain black.  That would make sense.

All help welcome

I use black algaecide every now and again (deep blue and full of copper). Did you not massively dilute it (at least 9 parts water to 1 part algaecide but ideally much more water) before adding to the pool? Without the dilution that stuff stains very well. I've never had staining even after using a lot of the stuff when well diluted.

You can buy gel such as "CTX Pool Gel Crystal Water" that is good at collecting particles that the filter wont. I've used it a few times placing it either in the skimmer basket or the overflow tank, depending on type of pool.

If the pool is not huge I'd just be tempted to drain and refill. Did mine recently to fix the light brackets. All done in less than a day and <4000 baht for a refill of a sizeable pool.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - I now find black algae easy to remove just by scrubbing a chlorine table over it. Maximum of 2 applications has got rid of everything that I would previously have used black algaecide for.

Edited by Woof999
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't need anymore than point 3 PPM of copper algaecide. Black algae is a result of prolonged high pH.

Using using chlorine pills is a good way of killing it of by rubbing them into the grout lines. However (IMHO) with your other issues on top of black algae it would be much simpler to empty, clean & refill. Don't bother with the algaecide & just keep you pH in range (7.2 - 7.4) 

Just buy a few packs of fine steel wool, and put them where there is a flow of the pool water. Any copper present will plate out on the steel. Probably take a few days to clear.

Copper content is easy to measure with atomic absorption spectrometry, most universities, technical colleges and commercial laboratories have the equipment. The first step in controlling anything is measuring it.

Note: Steel wool, not stainless steel scourers.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Just buy a few packs of fine steel wool, and put them where there is a flow of the pool water. Any copper present will plate out on the steel. Probably take a few days to clear.

Copper content is easy to measure with atomic absorption spectrometry, most universities, technical colleges and commercial laboratories have the equipment. The first step in controlling anything is measuring it.

Note: Steel wool, not stainless steel scourers.

There is a simple re-agent kit you can buy to measure copper.

Forget all the whiches tails and goggledegoop.!

Do a search!

39 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

There is a simple re-agent kit you can buy to measure copper.

Forget all the whiches tails and goggledegoop.!

Do a search!

I guess I had better throw my chemistry degree in the bin.

I've never been too fond of test kits, as I have found from long experience their precision and accuracy leave a lot to be desired.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post your solution to the OP's problem.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I guess I had better throw my chemistry degree in the bin.

I've never been too fond of test kits, as I have found from long experience their precision and accuracy leave a lot to be desired.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post your solution to the OP's problem.

We are talking about swimming pool water not drinking water or pharmaceuticals! ????

Precision is not an issue dealing with .3 ppm

As stated do a search!

2 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

We are talking about swimming pool water not drinking water or pharmaceuticals! ????

Precision is not an issue dealing with .3 ppm

As stated do a search!

I've done a search.

As you clearly do not understand the meaning of precision and accuracy, I'll leave it at that.

Noted you have not given your own solution to the OP's problem of removing copper.

Copper removal? Where from did you get the copper into your pool water? 

Actually, copper sulphate helps to kill algae - instead of using strong chlorine treatment that is very dependent on pH maintenance. 

I am using copper sulphate, diluting a handful approximately once a month, then adding a bit chlorine within a week for a better water clarity and for killing bad bacteria.

With this simple procedure - without bothering to measure and maintain pH - I am having clear water throughout the year.