Do you buy meat at local markets ?

I  never buy meat / fish from the markets,  but  i have seen the same thing, (Rats), in a large pattaya supermarket, chewing on top  of the sacks of rice, i passed on the information to the cashier  who   trated it as  a normal every day thing, Im sure with hygiene  the way it is here, i would'nt be surprised if  a few restaurant kitchens around town are'nt infested with the same thing

We've lived in Thailand for 25 years, never heard of an e-coli outbreak from hamburger or from things like romaine lettuce.  Do these things happen in Thailand?......I'm sure they do, but probably not very often.  The latest 'organic' outbreak problem

https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-foodborne-illness/outbreak-investigation-hepatitis-virus-strawberries-may-2022

If you're frequenting the typical Thai restaurant that doesn't wash its dishes/silverware in 170degree F water, then buying your veggies/fruit/meat in the local market probably won't kill you either

Nope - left out in the heat & diesel fumes for untold days....Flies buzzing & landing while a useless fan holding swinging empty plastic plastic bags around in semi close proximity to dissuade them..

Rim Ping has a butcher counter, Big C #2, or Makro (last).....

21 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

If you're frequenting the typical Thai restaurant that doesn't wash its dishes/silverware in 170degree F water, then buying your veggies/fruit/meat in the local market probably won't kill you either

Aside from 100s of flies & some rats, giving they endorsement to buy, you'd be hard pressed to find any building, except some hotels & higher end vendors,  that pipe hot water to sinks.

We buy most meats from Makro, and I prefer frozen if practical, and especially seafood (shrimp/salmon).

Ground beef, always buy frozen.  Picanah freshly 'thawed', along with pork tenderloins, and about the only 'fresh' land critters I buy.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

We buy most meats from Makro, and I prefer frozen if practical, and especially seafood (shrimp/salmon).

I find the fresh meat section of Makro not all that fresh, frozen is OK.

The pork shops are the place to buy meat, they always run out in the afternoon.

Fresh meat delivered every morning.

One of the homes in my village sells meat at markets.

Their home and the 3 houses around them smell of rotting meat/blood 24/7.

No refrigeration, meat kept in plastic bins with a bit of ice overnight.

No way I would buy meat from a market.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I don't buy meet at the local fresh market. My gf buys seafood there. Most of the time it's ok. Sometimes the mussels are not so good. It seems she accepts that as a fact.

I buy meet most of the time in Foodland and it seems they know what they are doing.

I saw in other big well knows supermarkets that they take chicken meat out of the sterile package to dump it on ice in trays where the customers walk along (and maybe touch it and maybe it get's warm). After I saw that I will never buy meet in those places again.

And then there was this well know expensive farang supermarket. The employees took cold cut out of the refrigerator and placed it on a warm table in front of the refrigerator. And in the evening I saw that they took the same items from the table and put it in the refrigerator again. What a stupid idea. I also won't buy anything like that anymore in that supermarket. 

Fresh meat in the supermarket is at least a week old, from farmer to wholesale to shop...

Fresh meat at the market is more fresh and they prepare what they know they will sell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No problem. There'll be enough left over for the customers and once cooked there should not be any issues. Most of our meat comes from the local market and it's even better when it's delivered directly to our gate on the back of a (covered) pick up, butchered that same morning.

I've never had problems due to dodgy food.

I buy from the Betagro booth.  So , yes, I buy meat from my local market. But not from the smelly tables with flies.  The Betagro booth keeps everything clean and refrigerated.  Also the seller takes care not to touch money and meat on the same surface.   glove on for meat.  glove off for money.  I don't bother much with fresh seafood in chiang mai though.

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Not too off putting, rather see that than blue bottles/blow flies leaving eggs to turn into maggots

I was stationed in Morocco during the late 60s.  I had to attend an orientation lecture soon after I arrived.  The audience included a number of newly arrived wives. 

At one point, the lecturer was discussing buying meat and veggies at the local outdoor market.

He declared: "Never buy hanging meat that DOES NOT have flies around it!!" 

Why?  Because vendors, knowing how foreigners hated flies, would spray the hanging meat with insecticide.  Vegetables as well.

"Just trim off the outer meat and feed it to the dogs."

• Sad 1