Bangkok Governor hopes to reduce BTS fares, meet anti-corruption watchdog

snoop1130

logo-68.png

Newly elected Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said he is having a busy day today (Wednesday), a day after he assumed office, as he met with representatives of Krungthep Thanakom, a public company which is over 99% owned by the city administration as its investment arm and which is allocated a large budget each year.

Chadchart is also scheduled to meet with executives of the Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand, a non-profit think tank.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The discussion today focuses on the Green Line sky-train project, for which the previous administration wanted to extend the operating concession, due to expire in 2029, by another 30 years, and the fare of 65 baht, which Chadchart and his team hope to reduce. They are also discussing the BRT bus service, which is currently losing about 120 million baht a year, the burying of overhead cables, which are under the supervision of Krungthep Thanakom.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-governor-hopes-to-reduce-bts-fares-meet-anti-corruption-watchdog/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Will he also arrange to pay the 30 billion (yes, billion) Baht that is owed to BTS for operating the Green Line extensions??

Probably...IF the contracts were fair and no corruption was involved.

I think you work for the BTS so you couldn't possibly be biased?

Bangkok ‘Rapid’ Transit (BRT) uses newer buses, providing a comfortable ride. But unless traffic is solved, they sure aren’t fast!

BTS & MRT help with road congestion & are fast transport. But they’re expensive for most people, esp now with raised fares & more complicated ticketing.

More than a decade down the track, BTS & MRT still don’t have integrated tickets!

BTS is a for-private private enterprise (hard to imagine any profit for decades, by which time facilities & rolling stock will have to be upgraded multiple times.

MRT is BMA. From the beginning, they had the good sense to offer senior cards to everyone, not just Thais. However, when topping up my card, they wanted my original passport & I only had a copy; the pink card got it done but wasted 15 minutes at the window…for nothing! (Si Lom MRT station, if anyone in management is reading this.

BTS only offers senior discount to Thais. This is specifically illegal under the provisions of the Thai Constitution forbidding discrimination based upon age, race or nationality. I’ve talked to BTS lawyers & they don’t give a hoot.

So here are my suggestions for Dr. Chadchart:
1) Ban cars, or prohibitively fee-based city entry.
2) (Free, why not) parking facilities next to major stations. We don’t need more malls, we need parkades for public transport users.
3) BTS, MRT & BRT handicapped accessible.
4) Increase numbers & routes of BRT
5) BRT with racks for bicycles. Bike riders ride BRT free.
6) Goods transport restricted hours.
7) More rolling stock, maximum carriages to fit platforms. More frequency.
???? Integrated BTS, MRT & BRT tickets with options for ALL seniors & students.

Look, the goal is to make the capital a livable city, a showcase. Foreigners don’t spend time in Bangkok for its world-class shopping malls. So 9) Bring back street food, affordable to all classes.

10) Lean on the central govt to enforce burning rules. Few cars, mostly electric public transit would greatly reduce our annual air pollution.

11) Bury the cables & get rid of the ugly poles. Sheesh!

My guess is no one will read these sensible, specific suggestions.