Fly from Thailand to Cambodia with 250k

Transfer to Thai account under Wise. You can have foreign currency accounts there. Then transfer from Thai account Wise to Cambodian currency. Problem: You need to have any account there:). Exchange rates much more better.

Should work….

Edited by Tom H
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I brought with me 320k baht in 3 bundles of 1k in 2020, then changed to USD at Ly Hour Exchange at their Orussey Market branch. No issues with exit at BKK but I declared in Phnom Penh because it converted to just about 10k USD for which a declaration is required in Cambodia. 

• Like 1

In case you go to Cambo: don't take THB with you but USD. You can pay everywhere in Cambo with USD, you even can get USD out of every ATM in Cambo. They even prefer USD above Riel. Just make you have enough 1 or 5 USD banknotes as often they cannot change. 

• Thanks 1

I'm echoing the above suggestions about the currency. You can get vendors to use the Riel since your change after purchasing things will be in the Cambpdian currency, but you need to take a bunch of $1, $5, $10 & $20.

(It's a really crappy deal with money there)

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

try this one

Thai Currency

If you are taking out cash in Thai Baht currency from Thailand, remember to file the report on departure for an amount of THB 50,000 or more. However those traveling to Lao PDR., Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam are allowed to take out Thai currency not exceeding THB 500,000.

https://thailawyers.com/currency-limitation-how-much-cash-in-foreign-currencies-can-you-bring-into-thailand/

What file ? and report that exactly to who? At airport suvarnabumi?

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

What file ? and report that exactly to who? At airport suvarnabumi?

Try this one,

personally I have never brought any money out, just out of curiosity I googled. 

You should also bring documentation where the money came from, since there could be a chance you have to proof income by wp or abroad transfer. Good luck

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/bringing-currency-in-or-out-of-thailand

8 hours ago, easydoor said:

In case you go to Cambo: don't take THB with you but USD. You can pay everywhere in Cambo with USD, you even can get USD out of every ATM in Cambo. They even prefer USD above Riel. Just make you have enough 1 or 5 USD banknotes as often they cannot change. 

With respect, not as easy these days. As a retiree living in Cambodia, the use of the US$ is becoming slightly more difficult because bank ATMs, although issuing Riels, now only issue 20, 50 or 100$ bills, depending on the bank. My bank issues only 100 and 20$ bills. Another along the street only 100 or 50$ bills.  The smaller denomination 1, 5 and 10$ bills are becoming scarce (being taken out of use) and I find high value Riels (10,000 and 20,000) are more likely to be given in change these days. The Cambodian Government is promoting the use of its own currency and has recently introduced a new 30,000 Riel banknote (7.50 US$)

Cambodia to release new 30,000 Riel bill into circulation - Khmer Times

Of course, when paying in supermarkets and many other establishments, one can use "plastic" or smartphone. Out in the local markets Riels "rule" and the use of 20, 50 or 100 bills from ATMs cause huge problems. Prior to relocating, I used to regularly travel from Thailand to Cambodia and often carried Thai Baht which caused no problems converting to $ or Riels.

I wonder how long before the US$ is replaced by the Chinese Yuan!