Assisted living for elderly Thai lady

Inderpland

It would probably help getting helpful suggestions if  you provided details.  Cognitive issues or strictly physical?  Does she have a home and a live-in care taker would suffice?   How much can you afford to spend?   Does she need a nursing home environment where nurses are on duty 24 hr/day, doctor on call, etc.?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cnx1204 said:

It would probably help getting helpful suggestions if  you provided details.  Cognitive issues or strictly physical?  Does she have a home and a live-in care taker would suffice?   How much can you afford to spend?   Does she need a nursing home environment where nurses are on duty 24 hr/day, doctor on call, etc.?

She can walk, although with some degree of difficulty. Her hearing is going but so far little cognitive issues. As I said in the OP we're looking for an assisted living facility. By that I mean a place where she can live and get regular meals and have a caretaker present at the facility 24/7, although not necessarly a nurse on stand-by. We haven't really discussed price so all tips/suggestions welcome.

PS. We're definitively looking for a privatly operated place.

Edited by Inderpland

15 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

She can walk, although with some degree of difficulty. Her hearing is going but so far little cognitive issues. As I said in the OP we're looking for an assisted living facility. By that I mean a place where she can live and get regular meals and have a caretaker present at the facility 24/7, although not necessarly a nurse on stand-by. We haven't really discussed price so all tips/suggestions welcome.

PS. We're definitively looking for a privatly operated place.

Then a starting  point is her primary  care giver.

As she is Thai your research  needs to be Thai  based. Her doctor   hospital,  social  worker, community  health worker. As an English  language  forum for expats this might not be the  best place. There is a whole thread about care homes for the elderly but it's aimed foreigners.

21 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Then a starting  point is her primary  care giver.

As she is Thai your research  needs to be Thai  based. Her doctor   hospital,  social  worker, community  health worker. As an English  language  forum for expats this might not be the  best place. There is a whole thread about care homes for the elderly but it's aimed foreigners.

You're stating the obvious but since I'm sure I'm not the only foreigner in this situation I thought it was worth a try. I might have been wrong.

McKean Hospital has one.  Did you try googling  assisted living your area?  I did so for Chiangmai and found some listed.  So Google might be a source for you.

We got literally 24 hour home care for 20,000 baht per month starting when my MIL had limited mobility.   Trained for 3 months on basic care, no real medical training.   No meds involved except pills, no injections.

If doctor visit was required, got ambulance to pick up and return.  Continued on after becoming bedridden and until death at home.   When the care taker wanted time off, a substitute was provided.   Again, this was in Chiangmai.   

Farang across the street had a stroke and was bedridden.  His wife got a similar caretaker who also fed him through a tube in his stomach.  Could talk a little but could not swollow.

Edited by cnx1204
add info about 24 hr caretaker

You may know this but almost all Thai are cared for by family until death - very few use assisted living or nursing homes (so there number is very limited).  As said above the cost of home care, even if provided by non family persons, is normally reasonable.  I have not seen any recommendation of facilities in Pattaya so it may be a hunt and pick search but Google often can help or Google Maps and once found check them out as best you can.  There may not be much choice.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You may know this but almost all Thai are cared for by family until death - very few use assisted living or nursing homes (so there number is very limited).  As said above the cost of home care, even if provided by non family persons, is normally reasonable.  I have not seen any recommendation of facilities in Pattaya so it may be a hunt and pick search but Google often can help or Google Maps and once found check them out as best you can.  There may not be much choice.

I just put 'Pattaya Care Homes' into Google and 4 were presented, 3 well East of town and another South of town. There was actually a lot more than that when I looked more deeply, which was surprising. Nursing services can be found too to care in your own home. 

The OP can hire a live-in, retired government hospital nurse for 10K-15K baht/month to take care of the MIL.

Government hospitals compulsorily retire their nurses at age 45, more affluent Thais employ them to look after their aged ones.

Thanks for the replies. I have lived in Thailand for many years so am aware of the culture wrt the elderly. I have of course done a Google search of possible facilities in the area but recommendations from people who have real life experience is always valuable.

Based on what I've found it seems like a visiting or full time nurse/caretaker is a viable option in our particular situation.

There is no "assisted living" concept in Thailand.

Your options are a full-out nursing home or bring in caretakers.

For nursing homes see this list put out by the British Embassy, includes several in Pattaya

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-care-homes/list-of-care-homes-for-british-nationals-in-thailand

But as she can still walk somewhat, putting her into a nursing home would IMO be premature at this stage.