US INL helps Isaan to fight illegal trafficking

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-06-06T105915.959.jpg

In the past several years, the Greater Mekong Sub-region has seen increasing illegal trafficking activities, especially drugs, which are often transferred via natural routes, with production shifting from Myanmar to the Lao PDR as the criminals try to change their routes.

Pol. Lt. Gen Yunyong Wetchaosot, Provincial Police Region 4 Commissioner said that illegal trafficking has been increasing and it seems to be increasing faster. It started in the northern part of Thailand and the authorities have been mobilising and strengthening their forces.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The north is a mountainous area with many trafficking routes. So, the traffickers started to change their bases to the Isan region, as 670 kilometres of the Mekong River forms its border and the trafficking routes are like a spider’s web, which benefits them.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/us-inl-helps-isan-to-fight-illegal-trafficking/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vandeventer said:

And yet it does very little to stop illegal trafficking at it's own southern border.

I figure they want to fight trafficking in the most pleasant environments first. With summer weather here I imagine the Canadian border is a hot spot of investigation for the next several months.  Kinda of like companies setting up offices in the Hampshires.

My wife and I were having lunch yesterday at a nice resterant in Phon Phisai ( true) and at that point the Mekong looked to be only 150- 200 metres wide. Now using a naval shot line that can have a range of up to 300 mtrs I understand then surely this could become a nightly tourist attraction to transfer "items" from Laos to Thailand. ????