Onward flight ticket required when coming in on visa exempt/visa on arrival

I am a British citizen on retirement OA extension. I will be returning to the UK next week for a 6 week period and then will return to Thailand. I want to change my retirement extension from an OA to an non-Imm O visa. 

I propose not to apply for a re-entry certificate so when I leave Thailand my OA extension will be killed off.

When I return to Thailand I plan to enter on a visa exempt visa and then go through the process of applying for an O visa.

My question is will I need an onward flight ticket which I can show the airline (Qatar) when I depart from London and when I arrive in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance

The answer is of course as clear as mud, London maybe, Bangkok almost certainly not.  It is only at check in that this problem occurs and not consistently, you will get as many "never happened to me" answers as the opposite, but in theory an outbound ticket is a real requirement to enter visa exempt.  In your case it is somewhat likely that your existing extension would get you past the check-in desk, it is doubtful they are fully up to speed with visa/re-entry/extension rules although to be sure though a cheap throwaway (or more expensive refundable) outbound ticket would make things certain.

• Like 1

Actually Qatar air tickets are fully refundable until end of September. So just buy a one-way out of Thailand on QR and get a refund after arrival. They did ask me about a ticket out at check-in after I flew on one-way ticket in May to BKK. I had one to show them.

Or maybe cheaper for you to buy a Qatar air return ticket and just get a refund for the unused part.

In February coming back from Singapore I was asked for a return ticket by Thai airways checkin at Singapore and Thai immigration at Suvarnhabhumi - I convinced both that i was living in Thailand anyway and there was no problem in the end

Coming back from Singapore again last week I bought a one-way ticket for end of June Bangkok-Singapore just in case they stopped me at check-in or at immigration in Thailand again and I did not want that hassle, but in the end no-one asked

So there is no clear answer - depends on the staff you meet at checkin and immigration

Thanks for your answers. I have a bit of time before returning to Thailand towards the end of July to decide whether I risk it or buy a cheap throwaway ticket out of Thailand for my exit out of UK and entry into Thailand.

Thanks again for your considered replies

As you're asking about flying into, rather than flying out of Thailand, I'll move your post to a more appropriate forum.

Strictly speaking you will need to be in possession of details of your travels out of Thailand if you wish to travel visa exempt.

I have seen people having problems at LHR when attempting to travel without a visa and in possession of a one way ticket, I have no idea how strictly this requirement is enforced. However whilst others may tell you that they've managed to fly without a visa using a one way ticket, it would be of little comfort to you if you're denied boarding.

Maybe consider purchasing a cheap one way ticket to a neighbouring country to produce if required. 

• Like 1