Which water pump for house?

remobb

I am moving into a new house and need to install a water pump and tank. The house has downstairs and upstairs, 2 bedrooms both ensuite, downstairs bathroom and kitchen. Two adults. May add an outside water tap too. I am looking for advise on the size of water pump I would require for good strong water supply. Probably use a 1,000L tank.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Our two story house had a Hitachi water pump for over 20 years it stated leaking but still works I put it to use  over our farm. 

So I bought another similar Hitachi WM P150xx which served our two story house very well. 

I bought it from a Lazada supplier for 4,300 baht some 2000 baht cheaper than our local shops. 

47 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Our two story house had a Hitachi water pump for over 20 years it stated leaking but still works I put it to use  over our farm. 

So I bought another similar Hitachi WM P150xx which served our two story house very well. 

I bought it from a Lazada supplier for 4,300 baht some 2000 baht cheaper than our local shops. 

Many thanks for your reply. Does the P150xx give a good strong water supply especially in the shower?

1 hour ago, remobb said:

Many thanks for your reply. Does the P150xx give a good strong water supply especially in the shower?

Our WM P150xx is for a 2 story house if you want stronger you can buy 3 story high house pump I think it's a WMP200xx there about 6000baht from memory. 

Edited by Kwasaki

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Our WM P150xx is for a 2 story house if you want stronger you can buy 3 story high house pump I think it's a WMP200xx there about 6000baht from memory. 

Great, I think I will go for the 200xx. Not too strong but strong enough. Great help, thanks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, remobb said:

Great, I think I will go for the 200xx. Not too strong but strong enough. Great help, thanks.

Save messing about I ordered from Lazada and it took 2 days delivered by Kerry.

Make sure you get some good installation fittings so joints are sealed up tight cause leaks can be a misery.

• Haha 1

I will be building a new 2 story home soon and I have selected the following Mitsubishi inverter pump (550 watt model).

You can adjust the outlet pressure up to 5 levels.

Not cheap though... retails cost nearly 17,000 baht.

image.png.e945778f2c6bcbf4868f52bcb5bf9b74.png

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Make sure you get some good installation fittings so joints are sealed up tight cause leaks can be a misery.

They certainly can.

I'd be inclined to get the builder to perform a hydrostatic pressure test of all the supply pipework before moving in.

Hate to find a leak behind a wall or under a floor where you need to do some demolition work to get to the leaking joint (where they typically are).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Encid said:

I will be building a new 2 story home soon and I have selected the following Mitsubishi inverter pump (550 watt model).

Is there any specific benefit other than the adjustable pressure settings for such an expensive pump vs circa 6000 for a decent Mitsubishi? I’ve noticed ‘constant pressure' Mitsubishi pumps at a price premium. I don’t really have any issues with the slightly varying pressure as the pump switches on and off on my standard pump,or do they offer any other benefits? 
There appears only a few hundred baht difference in what looks like more powerful motors in the higher spec standard models. I presume these cope better when a number of outlets are on simultaneously. ? Only have single storey but the missus can have several outlets on at once when watering our large garden 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Encid said:

My preference was for the Grundfos SCALA2. The price we paid was slightly less than the Mitsubishi, it has more pressure settings and the maximum pressure available is higher.

The important points for maximum flow are a well designed pipe system as few 90 degree bends a possible and the pipes as large as is convenient up to the outlets. We standardised on 32mm PP-R and dual 45 degree bends that means that it’s difficult to get a leaky joint. We have 1 tank about 5 metres above most outlets, this allows for a low pressure, cold water shower when the power is cut.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, nchuckle said:

I’ve noticed ‘constant pressure' Mitsubishi pumps at a price premium.

You mean "constant pressure" vs "automatic"?

I was also searching around for an answer.

The only related  info I could find was from a very old thread here, on this board.

"The "automatic" pumps have an air bladder and a tank while the constant pressure do not.

If feeding direct to your pipes, the constant pressure is better. If used to fill a tank, the automatic is better.
Both are automatic and both will work fine in either application. The constant pressure are much touchier, so every time there is a slight pressure drop they will cycle on.

The bladder in the automatic allows more water to flow before the pressure drops enough for the pump to cycle on.
If you have a slow leaking toilet, the constant pressure will cycle on and off ten times for every time the bladder type cycles once."

But the answer doesn't spell out why the constant pressure pumps are better if feeding direct to the pipes.

Does anyone know?

On 6/13/2022 at 6:19 PM, unheard said:

But the answer doesn't spell out why the constant pressure pumps are better if feeding direct to the pipes.

They are recommended if you have the standard showers, as the constant pressure doesn’t vary the heat from the shower in the same way that the well pumps do.

Some people don’t mind the variations or realise that it’s their choice of the incorrect pump type that is causing the temperature fluctuations.

if you don’t use instant heat showers the pressure variations are virtually irrelevant, the prices of both are about the same for the same power.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 6:19 PM, unheard said:

You mean "constant pressure" vs "automatic"?

That is a difference that has no meaning as virtually all pumps that are bought for house supplies are automatic (yes I know that there are pumps that are not automatic I have one for a special purpose) and yes I know that Mitsubishi uses that name however Hitachi does not

in general the difference is

water thank under; variable pressure cycle output 

sealed pressure vessel giving virtually no pressure cycling 

different makers different names.