5 year drivers licence expired more than one year….told I need to apply for ‘new’ 2 year licence.

mikey88

Hi..

I’ve been trapped out of Thailand for over 2 years and my 5 year Thai Drivers Licence has expired….(expired more than one year).
I was told that I now have to apply for a ‘new’ 2 year licence.

In other words …start again.

I went to the CHIANG MAI Transport department and they said that I need to register online and view the video. Which I’ve done.

Plus I have a copy of the document they give on completion.

They didn’t give any instructions at all about what I have to do now…..and what other documents I need to take back to the Transport Department.

Anybody who has had to do the video and had to apply for a new 2 year licence…..can you tell me what other documents you needed to take with you to The Transport Dept….?

It would be a huge help…

Do you have a VALID Driving license from your Home Country? If so, then no need for tests.

About the docs required no idea as It's over 10 years ago that I got my License (by showing them my Home Country license)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I must give it to you. You are probably spot on.

It was just a guess on my part and one of a few possibilities, but it was the top of the list.  Have a great evening.

• Like 1

Had same problem. Had to do the color and speed test. Didn't have to take the written, but had to sit though the one hr talk. Showed my expired 5 year Thai license, was given another 5 year. I want to add. my license was over a year expired but not over 2 years.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Obviously he did not want to try and travel during the covid quarantines and so on...

Yes….the stress and the restrictions were too great for me…

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for replying…..the saga continues….I’ve been for the written test at the Chiang Mai Transport and failed twice…..incorrect English in some of the questions…..impossible to understand….

Edited by mikey88

6 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

Thanks everyone for replying…..the sage continues….I’ve been for the written test at the Chiang Mai Transport and failed twice…..incorrect English in some of the questions…..impossible to understand….

Test? Bl00dy hell, wouldn't they accept your foreign licence, or don't you have one?

2 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Test? Bl00dy hell, wouldn't they accept your foreign licence, or don't you have one?

I have a valid Australian licence….but my Thai licence is expired more than one year…

That seems to be the problem…..but it’s so confusing….I don’t really know.

I gave them both my licences and they said I have to do the written test…..I’ve failed twice….impossible to understand some questions….The English is so bad.

A disaster..!!

1 minute ago, mikey88 said:

I have a valid Australian licence….but my Thai licence is expired more than one year…

That seems to be the problem…..but it’s so confusing….I don’t really know.

I gave them both my licences and they said I have to do the written test…..I’ve failed twice….impossible to understand some questions….The English is so bad.

A disaster..!!

A disaster indeed! They've put  you in the position of a first-time applicant, but when I first applied (in Rayong) the UK licence was accepted as not requiring a written test. But that was nearly 13 years ago, so perhaps things have changed. Sorry, can't help further.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, MJCM said:

Do you have a VALID Driving license from your Home Country? If so, then no need for tests.

About the docs required no idea as It's over 10 years ago that I got my License (by showing them my Home Country license)

You have to do the Theory & Reaction Tests (but not Road Test) if starting from scratch with full foreign DL. Then it’s Medical Cert , Address Proof, ID, Longstay. 

Newsflash: Your TDL expired over five or eight years ago mate as it’s only valid here for max. Five years. 
So your back to scratch too ????

On 6/11/2022 at 10:07 PM, bunnydrops said:

Had same problem. Had to do the color and speed test. Didn't have to take the written, but had to sit though the one hr talk. Showed my expired 5 year Thai license, was given another 5 year. I want to add. my license was over a year expired but not over 2 years.

How long ago was that…they seem to be telling me now that “you’re licence expire more than one year…have to do test….”

impossible to get accurate information form the pelple at Transport Department…

Agents should get involved…..But I went to my visa agent and he was no help at all….

13 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

A disaster indeed! They've put  you in the position of a first-time applicant, but when I first applied (in Rayong) the UK licence was accepted as not requiring a written test. But that was nearly 13 years ago, so perhaps things have changed. Sorry, can't help further.

Thanks for trying …appreciate it…

Yes I do….but they say must do test…It’s a mess out there….impossible to get accurate information….

You have to do the Theory & Reaction Tests (but not Road Test) if starting from scratch / 2 year + expired, with full foreign DL. Then it’s Medical Cert , Address Proof, ID, Longstay. 

Newsflash: Your TDL expired over five or eight years ago mate as it’s only valid here for max. Five years. 
So you’re back to scratch too ???? as TDL over two years expired.

Edited by TropicalGuy

I had a March 2016 license which expired March 2018. I should have renewed it winter 2019 when I was here but got busy. Went to renew in Chiang Rai province in January 2022. I had the expired Thai 2 year license, US license and International License. I told the ladies I'd like to get a 5 year license.

I had to do the reaction tests, the written exam but not the road test/driving exam. I had to have a physical form filled out. I may have had my girlfriend's blue book but I cant recall now. Also, I was on a CR-30 visa exempt stamp (30 days) with Covid extension.

The ladies were helpful and nice and I walked out with my 5 year license for motorcycle and passenger car.

If you're having issues with the exam there are several sites on the internet with the questions and answers. Just google them. I also began by reading the Land Traffic Act in english.

11 hours ago, mikey88 said:

How long ago was that…they seem to be telling me now that “you’re licence expire more than one year…have to do test….”

impossible to get accurate information form the pelple at Transport Department…

Agents should get involved…..But I went to my visa agent and he was no help at all….

Mid 2020

• Like 1