Thailand on 170,000 baht a month

LaosLover

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Lots of meditation etc in and around Bangkok. What's a Buddhist vibe to you, shaving your head and wearing an orange robe?

For me, being around Buddhist people is like taking a Xanax. I'm not a Buddhist and have no desire to fight an endless Uber-like battle about its many faults.

"Did you not know about Grab? No? Welllll, then I suspect there's something quite fishy going on in this post and I will get to the bottom of it".

Hookers and bad drivers. Not very buddhist.

Thank you, Dali Lama. Where will I find the deep, gong-banging spiritual vibe I long for? 

Wait, I am already receiving a virtual telepathic transmission from you. The answer is: Phuket or Chiang Mai.

I think you should really look at Portugal.

19 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

170,000 baht is it enough? 555555

Not by my accounting, it is a little shy.......200k a month is a little more like it, 5 star restaurants, and why does he limit himself to 50k for rent in Ari of all places.  He needs to check out Silom and get himself a Penthouse at The Rivers...he can then eat at all of the great places around the river and even do some high end shopping at Icon Siam, but then he might find he needs 300k a month.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not by my accounting, it is a little shy.......200k a month is a little more like it, 5 star restaurants, and why does he limit himself to 50k for rent in Ari of all places.  He needs to check out Silom and get himself a Penthouse at The Rivers...he can then eat at all of the great places around the river and even do some high end shopping at Icon Siam, but then he might find he needs 300k a month.....

Stay at the peninsula full time.

1 minute ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Are you going to make it rain 1000s or 20s ?

The post reads like a true troll story with the supposed questions and so on. No body gives a flick how much money you have unless your wishing to be robbed on the street when you pull out that wad of 1,000 Thb, and wave it around.....

• Thanks 1

1. Do you think you can hire a driver in downtown Bangkok and just go anywhere you want to go? Did you ever consider the maddening traffic and how  it can take at least 1 hour to move 1 km?

2. The cost of living in any major city downtown is going to be much, much higher. Where 170,000 is great in Isaan, 170,000 in the heart of Bangkok, to do what you want to do, is not enough for the things you claim. Those that think it is enough are relating it to living in a 1 room flat and eating off the street. There are many restaurants where you can spend 3000 thb per person, if you want to be a big spender.

3. Do you ever check the air quality in Bangkok? Do you really think an air purifier in your place is going to save you? Come on man. Bangkok was built for 1,000,000 cars and there are currently over 12,000,000+. In the past 10 years, the air quality is Bangkok is super poor and getting worse. I would never consider living there for that reason because I don't want to die early. Do some research of your own. Air quality index so far off the charts it is maddening. One walk down the street and you will be hacking and coughing for days.

4. Hospitals, medical care, dental. All much higher in the center of Bangkok.

5. Gyms and teachers of course are going to charge more, their cost of living is high as well compared to areas outside of the city.

6. Your claim to want to see temples? What happens when you see all the temples around Bangkok in one week?

7. Bangkok is one giant concrete palace. That means it is much hotter than anywhere else. Walk 5 minutes down the street and your shirt will be drenched in sweat.

8. Crime and scams much higher in Bangkok.

Although there are some individuals with unique attitudes on TV, one thing is for sure. Many of these folks have LIVED in Thailand for years and they know what they are talking about. Those that have never LIVED in Thailand and only visited are in for a rude surprise.

If you were smart, rent a place for 2 months in the heart of Bangkok. You will learn all you need to know before committing long term.

bangkok.png

Edited by KIngsofisaan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

1. Do you think you can hire a driver in downtown Bangkok and just go anywhere you want to go? Did you ever consider the maddening traffic and how  it can take at least 1 hour to move 1 km?

2. The cost of living in any major city downtown is going to be much, much higher. Where 170,000 is great in Isaan, 170,000 in the heart of Bangkok, to do what you want to do, is not enough for the things you claim. Those that think it is enough are relating it to living in a 1 room flat and eating off the street. There are many restaurants where you can spend 3000 thb per person, if you want to be a big spender.

3. Do you ever check the air quality in Bangkok? Do you really think an air purifier in your place is going to save you? Come on man. Bangkok was built for 1,000,000 cars and there are currently over 12,000,000+. In the past 10 years, the air quality is Bangkok is super poor and getting worse. I would never consider living there for that reason because I don't want to die early. Do some research of your own. Air quality index so far off the charts it is maddening. One walk down the street and you will be hacking and coughing for days.

4. Hospitals, medical care, dental. All much higher in the center of Bangkok.

5. Gyms and teachers of course are going to charge more, their cost of living is high as well compared to areas outside of the city.

6. Your claim to want to see temples? What happens when you see all the temples around Bangkok in one week?

7. Bangkok is one giant concrete palace. That means it is much hotter than anywhere else. Walk 5 minutes down the street and your shirt will be drenched in sweat.

8. Crime and scams much higher in Bangkok.

Although there are some individuals with unique attitudes on TV, one thing is for sure. Many of these folks have LIVED in Thailand for years and they know what they are talking about. Those that have never LIVED in Thailand and only visited are in for a rude surprise.

If you were smart, rent a place for 2 months in the heart of Bangkok. You will learn all you need to know before committing long term.

bangkok.png

It is rarely as bad as that picture shows.  I live in BKK near Lumpini Park.  My Air scrubbers keep the house at a pm 2.5 of 2 or less.  The PM 2.5 today was only 72 which is moderate outside and did not agitate my allergies during the time I put in 20km walking.  I have never had a day where I hacked and cough as you indicate.  Are you sure you lived in Bangkok for any length of time.  The same can be said for Chiang Mai during the burning months, and even some of the provinces as they burn the sugar cane stubble and so on.  As far as medical care, of course some places are higher than others but the type of care is better than one will get in a provincial government hospital so you pay for what you get.  I use BNH hospital for all of my needs and that includes Dental.  More to Bangkok than just concrete I am afraid.  Traffic is not always impacted, just during certain periods during the day and then of course around the Ploenchit, Central World, Siam Paragon and MBK mall areas.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is rarely as bad as that picture shows.  I live in BKK near Lumpini Park.  My Air scrubbers keep the house at a pm 2.5 of 2 or less.  The PM 2.5 today was only 72 which is moderate outside and did not agitate my allergies during the time I put in 20km walking.  I have never had a day where I hacked and cough as you indicate.  Are you sure you lived in Bangkok for any length of time.  The same can be said for Chiang Mai during the burning months, and even some of the provinces as they burn the sugar cane stubble and so on.  As far as medical care, of course some places are higher than others but the type of care is better than one will get in a provincial government hospital so you pay for what you get.  I use BNH hospital for all of my needs and that includes Dental.  More to Bangkok than just concrete I am afraid.  Traffic is not always impacted, just during certain periods during the day and then of course around the Ploenchit, Central World, Siam Paragon and MBK mall areas.

You qouted a new profile made for this thread solely

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You qouted a new profile made for this thread solely

Was it a new profile you made.....lol.  It is unfortunate that it is from a possibly suspended or banned member, but I still had to correct this misrepresentations made.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Was it a new profile you made.....lol.  It is unfortunate that it is from a possibly suspended or banned member, but I still had to correct this misrepresentations made.....

Kings if Isaan seems ironic

I have found Bangkok hot, fairly polluted, and with terrible traffic. I accept though it may be fun once you get to know your way around but I imagine you would be living mainly inside. I’ll be honest that I am not into fancy bars and hi so restaurants and night life in general or hi so shopping except for from time to time. Seems an odd choice to go to a highly capitalistic busy modern capital city if you after a sense of Buddhist peace and happiness. Though sometimes if you want to be left alone the most populated places are the best. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

Bro, forget the haters.

I wear a T-shirt, wife beater, that says, "I make 500,000 a day, how you like that?"

Rent a different Ferarri depending on the day, matching the colors of the week.  Yellow, Monday, etc....  I can get you a helicopter, so don't worry about BKK traffic.   

I'm trying to buyout all the rubber companies here to save the planet.   I offered 300 baht, no answer.  

When you are on an overnight bus, tell them about your mansion in Beverly Hills.  I keep 10000 pictures on my intragram account.   Fake it 'til you make it.  I'm 98, still faking it.  

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I have found Bangkok hot, fairly polluted, and with terrible traffic. I accept though it may be fun once you get to know your way around but I imagine you would be living mainly inside. I’ll be honest that I am not into fancy bars and hi so restaurants and night life in general or hi so shopping except for from time to time. Seems an odd choice to go to a highly capitalistic busy modern capital city if you after a sense of Buddhist peace and happiness. Though sometimes if you want to be left alone the most populated places are the best. 

Silom changed my mind about Bangkok, best area so far I have been visiting. Before that could not stand Bangkok. Sukhumvit nice hotels and great restaurants  nearby, but horrible area. Silom nice river, parks, shopping rooftops, and decent variety of restaurants in walking distance of 1 km radius

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Beg to differ with you, do the research.

If you live there, you have to tell yourself something other than the truth. Look up the facts.

Here is one fact from 2020 and it has gotten worse since then:

Air quality in Bangkok has only been considered “healthy” four of the first 100 days of 2020. The other 96 days have been either “acceptable” (41), “moderately unhealthy” (33) or “unhealthy” (22)

Bangkok air 'healthy' only 4 of year’s first 100 days; air pollution found to make COVID deadlier | Coconuts

Air scrubbers work when you are out and about in Bangkok?

We are talking about Bangkok, where the OP wants to move. Not Chiang Mai. Why justify other places? Dhaka is even worse!

The OP never mentioned type of care, I only mentioned it is more expensive. Stick to the story please.

Are you saying the majority of Bangkok is not concrete?

Do you even own a car because if you did you would know traffic in downtown Bangkok is ALWAYS impacted.

Ever try to drive from Sukhumvit Road, Soi 4 to Silom around 5 PM? Probably not.

People wanting information concerning their move to Bangkok are much better off with the facts than the needle in the haystack you are trying to pull.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Silom changed my mind about Bangkok, best area so far I have been visiting. Before that could not stand Bangkok. Sukhumvit nice hotels and great restaurants  nearby, but horrible area. Silom nice river, parks, shopping rooftops, and decent variety of restaurants in walking distance of 1 km radius

Actually I like Silom too. I’ll be there middle of next week. My girlfriend likes to stay near the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple. I like the food and easy to get around if not by car. It is nice to have a few days there. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

It is what it is. No traffic problems here.

That's true, except when neighbour finished his lao kai, and need more using his tak tak. Deadly weapon

Edited by Hummin

8 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Beg to differ with you, do the research.

If you live there, you have to tell yourself something other than the truth. Look up the facts.

Here is one fact from 2020 and it has gotten worse since then:

Air quality in Bangkok has only been considered “healthy” four of the first 100 days of 2020. The other 96 days have been either “acceptable” (41), “moderately unhealthy” (33) or “unhealthy” (22)

Bangkok air 'healthy' only 4 of year’s first 100 days; air pollution found to make COVID deadlier | Coconuts

Air scrubbers work when you are out and about in Bangkok?

We are talking about Bangkok, where the OP wants to move. Not Chiang Mai. Why justify other places? Dhaka is even worse!

The OP never mentioned type of care, I only mentioned it is more expensive. Stick to the story please.

Are you saying the majority of Bangkok is not concrete?

Do you even own a car because if you did you would know traffic in downtown Bangkok is ALWAYS impacted.

Ever try to drive from Sukhumvit Road, Soi 4 to Silom around 5 PM? Probably not.

People wanting information concerning their move to Bangkok are much better off with the facts than the needle in the haystack you are trying to pull.

Dude your hopeless. I own a car and motororbike  i have lived in the Silom Area for years, still here. Yes 5pm is backed up bad but so are those times in other major cities around the world, it's commute time...lol. If you don't want to drive, take the MRT or BTS, cheap and easy.  I drive daily and of course living here know the best times to drive the car or ride the motorbike.  Seems your a hater.  Air pollution is everywhere, give it a rest.

Some people have open minds while yours is closed.  We travel around daily, in fact this weekend we drove down to Wat Bang Phli and the l Bang Na Area, visiting the surrounding Areas.  Walked 20km while down there and found some more great shopping. To go 32km took all of 25 minutes, the return home, yes Sunday night traffic, to 30 minutes.  We live of off Rama 4 near the 2 large parks Benjakati and Lumpini, great big green Areas and not far off Sukhumvit.  My bet is you have never been to either 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 11:56 PM, PJ71 said:

Better wine.

a proper apartment too, the real  good ones seem to start at about 170k (based on my internet searches when looking for a place in Lumphini back in Feb)

I had to settle for a 67sqm shoebox for considerably less than that and I have to but my beers from the 7-Eleven to scrape by ????

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

I love Silom too. and Suriyawong. the Suk can go take a long walk off a short pier ????

• Like 1