Thailand on 170,000 baht a month

LaosLover

28 minutes ago, samtam said:

In all seriousness THB170K is not that big a budget, depending on the amount you want to pay for rent. THB50K for a 1 bedroom flat in Bangkok is doable, but it would lessen your options in the quality, facilities and location of where you want to live.

I own my own 250sqm condo in CBD Bangkok, so I do not pay rent, but I spend about THB90-100K per month on normal living expenses, like maid, management fees, utlities, transport, incidentals (tipping), groceries. I rarely eat or drink out, but I buy at one of the top grocery stores for food and drink.

Bangkok is not a cheap city in which to live at a high standard of living. There are of course many permutations to scale everything up or down, depending on how much you want to spend; that is everyone's choice.

Exactly.  Living on 20 to 30 k a month seems like a very low level life just surviving, not living.  

170,000 b is just about right I think to have a very good life here.  After all, isn't that one of the goals of living, to be prepared and plan to live a good enjoyable life?

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

Where did you live in bangkok? 
when I lived in bangkok it was really clean and modern, was nothing like I thought it was. Looked like a first world country to me

Everything is nicer and cleaner in bangkok, more stores, higher quality stores, better internet, better restaurants, better condos, more safe, plus all the girls in bangkok looked like super models

Footpaths are full of rubbish. Malls r great. Nightlife is good. Food is good. 

Bkk is great at night. Daytime its <deleted>.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Exactly.  Living on 20 to 30 k a month seems like a very low level life just surviving, not living.  

170,000 b is just about right I think to have a very good life here.  After all, isn't that one of the goals of living, to be prepared and plan to live a good enjoyable life?

I spend 3000 baht a day in bangkok on holidays. Good time. Thats 90k a month.

18 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Wha? Where am I?

Is this a thread about Burmese women? I donn' unnnerstannn'.

Or do I? Not unnnerstann'ing is my self presentation to the world. I hope it's passing for piercing wit.

My attitude is that I am grateful for falling into dumb-posterior luck with a hot housing property and ready to live some version of the high life to whatever level I can. And looking for a little advice, or at least humous you-know-what-taking.

Not the usual bitterness of jaded skinflints.

Would def like to hear about the incremental diffs between 170, 200, and 250.

Is your name Wally by any chance.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Daytrips and scenary

1 phuket

2 chiang mai

3 bangkok

Nightlife

1 bangkok

2 phuket

3 cm

Food

1 bangkok

2 cm

3 phuket

Air quality

1 phuket

2 cm unless feb to april burn

3 bangkok

Total scores

3 pts,2 and 1

Phuket 9

Bkk 8

Cm 7

Scoreboard has spoken

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Footpaths are full of rubbish. Malls r great. Nightlife is good. Food is good. 

Bkk is great at night. Daytime its <deleted>.

Was very clean (streets, stores, malls, roads) where I stayed in pleonchit, even nicer than Toronto where I’m from in many cases. If you care more about cleanliness Siam/pleonchit looks like the more professional, quiet area. 

Edited by dj230

2 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Was very clean (streets, stores, malls, roads) where I stayed in pleonchit, even nicer than Toronto where I’m from in many cases. If you care more about cleanliness Siam/pleonchit looks like the more professional, quiet area. 

Spend a year in malls???

18 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I assume this is a troll post. ฿170k a month (around 4k GBP) is hardly a 'high life' budget, especially in central Bangkok - which wouldn't be a great place to spend retirement.

My wife (Thai) and I have a potential budget of around £6k/month (฿240k) BUT we never spend anything like that. My wife owns a couple of properties (no rent to pay), we can both speak Thai and we exercise in the gym and by walking and swimming. Used to own a Camry but too big for just two people so just bought a new smaller car. Bolt app. if I don't want to drive. We struggle to spend ฿80k a month. Rest normally goes into bank/trackers - my kids will get it eventually.

To answer your question, Uber is very 2020, Bolt is the thing now. Not sure why you would want to keep a driver on a retainer. They will likely be eating or sleeping when you want them. Just use Bolt app.

Not sure why everyone is mentioning about gyms in several posts ????....I use the gym everyday and I'm poor !

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I spend 3000 baht a day in bangkok on holidays. Good time. Thats 90k a month.

Living is different than holiday. We can spend up 15k a day on hotel, drinks and food only when we visiting Bangkok, or any Beach destination for holiday.

Hotel, lunch and 3 course dinner or Buffet at Marriott Goji restaurant with wine and Cognac you getting there. 

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Scoreboard has spoken

Bogus board.  Bangkok has day trips Ayutthaya, Hua Hin, floating markets, Pattaya, Koh Samet, Erawan National Park, river Kwai, I can go on and on.

Much much better day trip options then Phuket or CM.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Living is different than holiday. We can spend up 15k a day on hotel, drinks and food only when we visiting Bangkok, or any Beach destination for holiday.

Hotel, lunch and 3 course dinner or Buffet at Marriott Goji restaurant with wine and Cognac you getting there. 

Living is cheaper

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Not sure why everyone is mentioning about gyms in several posts ????....I use the gym everyday and I'm poor !

You have proper gym, and you have something someone call a fitness room with Poor laid out equipment. 

Where you find proper gym, rent is useally at a  bit higher end.

If budget is 50k it should have a proper gym in the building. But if location and higher end standard is important with two bedrooms, then 50k might not be a lot. Long time since I searched prices now, and 100k was not unusual for good location for an 80m2 +- appartment

Edited by Hummin

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Bogus board.  Bangkok has day trips Ayutthaya, Hua Hin, floating markets, Pattaya, Koh Samet, Erawan National Park, river Kwai, I can go on and on.

Much much better day trip options then Phuket or CM.

Ayuth boring

Hh boring

Floating mkts tourist trap

Pattaya is nightlife, they r a couple

Samet is too far for day trip

Erawan is too far for daytrip

River kwai is ok but avg compared to boat tours in phuket

0/7

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You have proper gym, and you have something someone call a fitness room with Poor laid out equipment. 

Where you find proper gym, rent is useally at a  bit higher end.

If budget is 50k it should have a proper gym in the building. But if location and higher end standard is important with two bedrooms, then 50k might not be a lot. Long time since I searched prices now, and 100k was not unusual for good location for an 80m2 +- appartment

Why do u need gym? Go for walk or swim.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Reading about an early retiree, late forties, who relocated from the US with wife and teenage daughter to Lisbon and easily gets by on the equivalent of B85k/month. Nice 2-bed apartment, dine-out more than dine-in, utilities on par with Thai prices. A lot cleaner than anything on offer in Thailand too.

"I want to go to Lisbon. With a teenager. It's great"

-Yeah, but I don't. This is like if we had a thread about the Beatles and you're demanding, "What's wrong with hammers? I read about a guy who loves hammers. With a teenager". 

The only best guess I can make is that you really like Lisbon. With a teenager. And I hope you get there.

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Maybe its just me 

Yeah, it's just you. Another passive aggressive moaner with no specific complaint who wants to contribute, but has nothing to say -and admits it up front with his weak, agreement-seeking maybe gambit.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

What about Singapore?

I want a Buddhist vibe and a dash of sanuk. Only one place on earth offers it.

I woke up last night thinking about the guy a few pages back who warned me about getting killed -execution style- for having a laugh here. Next post from me: Somalia -Is 170K enough?

And then there was the shrewd Sherlock who said, that I'd now outed myself on the board as a rich person and I would rue the day. I'm guessing I am now facing execution, done, one hopes, execution-style.

This complete dementia is about an older couple who have the nerve to want to have a thousand baht plate of prawns and to go to school. These Stallone's are tersely  reassuring each other, "Not on my watch".

Sadly, I'll forget the many, many people here who threw down their goofy trump card of, "Uber you say? Ha! What about Bolt, Huh? Huh?". It was great that so many of you got your little moment in the Internet sun.

21 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

What about Singapore?

I rader Live in KL instead. Best culinary affordable city I have been to, and great driving as well infrastructure. Just a day trip away from Thailand or Singapore.

19 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Wha? Where am I?

Is this a thread about Burmese women? I donn' unnnerstannn'.

Or do I? Not unnnerstann'ing is my self presentation to the world. I hope it's passing for piercing wit.

My attitude is that I am grateful for falling into dumb-posterior luck with a hot housing property and ready to live some version of the high life to whatever level I can. And looking for a little advice, or at least humous you-know-what-taking.

Not the usual bitterness of jaded skinflints.

Would def like to hear about the incremental diffs between 170, 200, and 250.

If you think the high life is 170k baht a month  you definitely deserve to be on aseannow

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

I want a Buddhist vibe and a dash of sanuk. Only one place on earth offers it.

I woke up last night thinking about the guy a few pages back who warned me about getting killed -execution style- for having a laugh here. Next post from me: Somalia -Is 170K enough?

And then there was the shrewd Sherlock who said, that I'd now outed myself on the board as a rich person and I would rue the day. I'm guessing I am now facing execution, done, one hopes, execution-style.

This complete dementia is about an older couple who have the nerve to want to have a thousand baht plate of prawns and to go to school. These Stallone's are tersely  reassuring each other, "Not on my watch".

Sadly, I'll forget the many, many people here who threw down their goofy trump card of, "Uber you say? Ha! What about Bolt, Huh? Huh?". It was great that so many of you got your little moment in the Internet sun.

Not much buddhist vibe in Bangkok. Anyway.

Go and report back.

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Sydney Australia is just a day trip away from Manhattan, but it's a long day.

Some people like travelling by motorbike or car, and even go for longer weekend trips. So why not

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Not much buddhist vibe in Bangkok. Anyway.

Go and report back.

Lots of meditation etc in and around Bangkok. What's a Buddhist vibe to you, shaving your head and wearing an orange robe?

For me, being around Buddhist people is like taking a Xanax. I'm not a Buddhist and have no desire to fight an endless Uber-like battle about its many faults.

"Did you not know about Grab? No? Welllll, then I suspect there's something quite fishy going on in this post and I will get to the bottom of it".

• Like 1