Opening. US mobile phone account while living in Thailand

• 9 months later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:22 PM, burlap said:

I actually got a Skype number, but the bank won't let me register it, I get a message saying that they can't verify I'm the owner of the account.

What is the name of the financial institution?

Each has their own requirements.

I'd simply Google the name of the financial institution and SMS OTP.

Many financial institutions support in-app 2FA, Chase and Fidelity for example.

While some contend Google Voice has limitations I have yet to encounter a situation, with every single 2FA requirement, where it is not acceptable.

This topic comes up frequently here so a search will yield a lot of useful information.

I also use UltraMobile, with WiFi calling enabled, as back-up having ported my mobile phone number (I've had for 25 ish years).

Most solutions need local help (SIM activation, GV registration), or can be done on a trip home.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:33 PM, fusion58 said:

I have two Chase credit cards and I never once, in ~four years, been asked to respond to a OTP, whether at home or abroad.

Chase supports 2FA within their app. That's the only 2FA I've encountered with them. But I do have several numbers in my profile, including GV and UltraMobile.

Some (like BofA) support a FIDO security key. I need that for id.me, which provides access to many government resources (IRS, SSA, Pay.gov).

• 1 month later...

You can use AnonymSMS whenever you need authentification codes. This service allows you to rent a private U.S. number for a day or more. It's a simple solution because you don't need a US mobile phone plan and possess a US-based SIM card.