Opening. US mobile phone account while living in Thailand

I'm an American citizen living in Thailand.  I'm having trouble logging onto my bank account .  The bank wants me to give them  an American cell phone number they can send an authentication code to (SMS). I don’t have an American cell phone account. Is it possible to open one while I'm out of the country?  I have been here for 15 years now, and I have no plans on returning to the US.

• Thanks 1

This was a headache for me as well, I have 2 factor authentication for my bank, can't have hackers logging into my bank, so when I came to Thailand I knew I needed to keep an open line from Canada to receive authentication text messages.

Anyways I used an app, costs like $12 a year for unlimited text/calls, it's voice over IP no SIM card needed, I use this for 2 factor authentication for banks from Canada, sometimes to call some people from Canada as well.

If you're from the states you can try google phone or whatever they call it, they only have it available to American citizens right now, but I think you also require an American phone number to initially sign up, I'm not sure though, maybe you can sign up right now. 

One thing with voice over IP is, sometimes banks block their 2 factor authentication from going to these numbers, which makes it a bit more complicated, usually if your bank has the option to "call" vs "text" then it will work regardless. 

If I were you I'd either 1) call the bank 2) use voice over IP 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2

You can check if T-mobile has their $3 plan (i remember somebody posted here the plan has now  moved to a T-mobile MVNO) and give them a try. Not sure if it will work to register the sim in Thailand or not. I have $3 t-mobile plan and it works in Thailand to receive SMS. However, I got the sim and registered it 20-years ago when t-mobile was just starting out. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, burlap said:

The bank wants me to give them  an American cell phone number they can send an authentication code to (SMS). I don’t have an American cell phone account. Is it possible to open one while I'm out of the country?  I have been here for 15 years now, and I have no plans on returning to the US.

easy, open a CallCentric DirtCheap number VOIP account and take the SMS option for $1/mo for a total of $3/mo

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

USAA sends me the security code to my US Skye Number.  However, I do pay $6.50 a month to have a specific US Skype Phone number. 

I thought about using this option also. But the price was a little high. Now I just use my sister's number and she texts me with the security code every time she gets it. 

• Like 1

I have a Skype phone number but did not opt for the SMS because it said that the SMS service did not include OTP (one time passwords). I think you will find that most, if not all, banks will not send OTPs to a VOIP service.  It has to be a regular cellular carrier.  Some banks will send a OTP to your registered email but not many.  The best solution is to have someone in the US who will receive your OTP when you are online so you can complete the sign-in.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:10 AM, sqwakvfr said:

USAA sends me the security code to my US Skye Number.  However, I do pay $6.50 a month to have a specific US Skype Phone number. 

I also use a Skype US number to receive text messages from my bank and others. I pay an annual subscription - from email confirmation for latest renewal:

Product name: Skype Number, 12 month subscription (+1 ### ### ####)
Total amount: $40.12
Transaction date: May 31, 2022

It is also convenient for my family & friends in USA to call me - when I call them or my banks, etc., caller ID displays my Skype USA Number (a small fee for other than 1 800 calls).  I someone calls me or texts me, it goes to my iPhone (Skype app).

• Like 1

I managed to open a tmobile account by phone, they charged $50 and had to send to me US address; I had it sent over here. Be aware, some banks, especially for new accounts or credit card applications, won't accept Skype, Google Voice, or other VOIP services. They use a third party verification service to see that you have a real postpaid US cell account that is being used in the area where it is billed to. (The Tmobile I got was prepaid so turned out to be useless for my purpose)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

American phone providers have phone accounts you can open with a virtual SIM card.  I believe you can just get one, no contract, month to month. 
Google virtual SIM card American phone providers.  It should come up with a list

I've had a SIM card from T-mobile for twenty years same number although I live here.  Not techno St all it is basically pay as you go once year when I make a visit I just top it off minutes good for a year.  Once a month I call my number to pick up my messages. 

As banking is changing they now ask to send you SMS, I use a Vivo 9, duel SIM, so I switch to that SIM get the code so far so good remember to click " remember this device " 

Problem now T-mobile is ending 3G,  July 1st,  not sure what that means for my phone although with the AIS SIM it indicates 4G,  with the TMobile SIM it shows 3G.

I will hopefully sort it out next month when home or figure out something new? 

Good luck, but that said....thinking you are in a tough spot and possibly out of luck. Never had any success with major financial institutions sending OTP to VOIP such as Skype or Google Voice. These numbers are recognized as VOIP and rejected, in my experience. 

Also if you or someone were able to get you a US Sim Card, am pretty sure it would need to be activated in USA first before sending here. Not aware of being able to activate a US number abroad. And lastly....be certain to get a SIM card and plan that works globally. Some of the inexpensive plans/small companies are restricted to just the USA or North America. 

Please keep us posted if something works or how you solve this issue. 

• Like 1

I have used my Son's mailing address as a US address while also informing my bank (Fidelity), retirement (TIAA-CREF), and three US issued credit Cards of my residence in Thailand. All needed services are regularly handled online. just updated my Apple Face Recognition and so TIAA wants to get additional confirmation to update use with my account ... their sent SMS did not work so I will just give them a call via SKYPE and get things straight. Been here in Chiang Mai over a decade and use AIS phone services including internet, 3BB at home. Upcoming hoped for US trip in 2023 ... AIS Roaming, no problem. I would think dealing with a US phone just complicates things.

3 hours ago, flbkk said:

I managed to open a tmobile account by phone, they charged $50 and had to send to me US address; I had it sent over here. Be aware, some banks, especially for new accounts or credit card applications, won't accept Skype, Google Voice, or other VOIP services. They use a third party verification service to see that you have a real postpaid US cell account that is being used in the area where it is billed to. (The Tmobile I got was prepaid so turned out to be useless for my purpose)

You can try and see if your bank has 2 factor authentication via call vs text, they usually are ok with calling VOIP services with automated messages with the verification code. That is what I have been using, both with my brokerage account and bank accounts in most cases.

There is a way to have a forwarding messaging phone, mainly the iPhone has integrated text forwarding in iOS which is able to sync text messages (not just iMessages) across all devices. If this was your only options you'd have someone set up an iPhone with a SIM card in USA and link it to a wifi source (or use data) and effectively have that forwarding text messages to your phone/computer in Thailand, quite a pricey option.

Another option would be trying to use an e-sim with a US telecom service and paying for international text messages. 

Edited by dj230

I am not 100% sure if it works for USA, but I use an app called CloudSim. It is streets better than Skype, it's a UK mobile number, gets sms no problem. Even the tax man accepts it! They do lots of other countries.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

What bank is it? I faced this problem a few times so I am becoming an expert.

FYI the $3 TMobile sim is now called a paygo ultra mobile sim, only sold in select Tmobile stores.. I had to hunt it down on my last trip, and now will just keep paying the $3 forever.  They will NOT sell it online, but I've seen folks sell this for upwards of $50 on amazon.

Google voice is a good option as it's recognized by Bank of America, other VoIP won't be, it's all bank dependent.

Best option, find someone you know in the US, have them receive the SMS to get. you over the current hump, then have them buy/activate, then mail you the ultra mobile sim (specific one called paygo).    I've tried many of the apps, but the banks know what falls into the voip bank.  There was an online service to receive SMS's on an actual sim and you pay per sms, but I lost that link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 10:42 PM, scoutman360 said:

I thought about using this option also. But the price was a little high. Now I just use my sister's number and she texts me with the security code every time she gets it. 

I actually got a Skype number, but the bank won't let me register it, I get a message saying that they can't verify I'm the owner of the account.

2 hours ago, fredjaidee said:

FYI the $3 TMobile sim is now called a paygo ultra mobile sim, only sold in select Tmobile stores.. I had to hunt it down on my last trip, and now will just keep paying the $3 forever.  They will NOT sell it online, but I've seen folks sell this for upwards of $50 on amazon.

Ultramobile.com/paygo

Sim kit now available on eBay for 13 USD.

I learned about this on the site I link above.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

My U.S employer just announced that they are switching all company phone numbers over to Zoom telephone. No more hand held phones, it rings on your computer. Maybe this will solve your problem? I haven't checked but it could be a solution. 

On 6/14/2022 at 1:11 PM, pookiki said:

I have a Skype phone number but did not opt for the SMS because it said that the SMS service did not include OTP (one time passwords). I think you will find that most, if not all, banks will not send OTPs to a VOIP service.  It has to be a regular cellular carrier.  Some banks will send a OTP to your registered email but not many.  The best solution is to have someone in the US who will receive your OTP when you are online so you can complete the sign-in.

Some U.S. banks will send OTP to your Skype phone number, others will not. For example, I can receive OTP via SMS to my Skype number from Capitol One Bank, but not from US Bank.

Also, I have two credit cards from Chase Bank. Chase doesn’t play the OTP game, and the bank will allow you to use an international phone number as your main contact number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chase definitely sends OTPs.

I assume you do not delete cookies.

That's probably why you aren't so far bothered with that.

Eventually you'll need to delete cache and cookies, and then you'll probably have to receive.

With every login, they give me a choice of calling or texting me the OTP and only use 1 of my #'s (I.e., I don't get a choice of which of my #'s they will deal with).

Very surprised they accepted an Int'l. phone #.

I can't imagine that will work on their banking side.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, JimmyJ said:

Very surprised they accepted an Int'l. phone #.

I can't imagine that will work on their banking side.

my US credit union and ira company wont update to international numbers. now my irs firm ended email and secret questions. i'm locked out of my own ira account and it's tax season. amazon is the same btw, i can't get a response to cancel prime.

my AIS plan is expensive but wont let me call the US and charge me per minute, but i haven't pushed that yet because i really just want texted OTP capability.

Edited by ding
  • Thanks 1