Is Pattaya really cheaper than Phuket ?

I have been going to Thailand off/on for almost two decades. Lived in Thonglor, Bangkok, for three years. Then a few years ago I moved to Jomtien. I don't have experience  living in Phuket so I can't say anything about Phuket. A few times when I went to Phuket I did not compare prices. I spent like a tourist. I liked the Jomtien area because it has a quite beach  where I can sit in the evening and drink a few beers and eat some food when I want. I can go to Pattaya for bars, if needed get ladies just as easily as in Bangkok. I have access to some good hospitals, like Bangkok hospital Pattaya and its sister outlet Jomtien Hospital.  I Have access to a few large malls for shopping when needed. Bangkok is only 1200 baht away using taxis or 110 baht away using  the bus. I have a motorcycle that I use only in the back alleys and now I could use bolt for going to any  place in Pattaya for less than 100 baht ($3 USD). Not as crowded as Bangkok. Have plenty of agents to take care of my retirement visa. Pre-covid I stayed 6-months in Thailand, 3 months in US and 3 months in Spain for almost 10-year. Now I am staying in the USA till last September. Planning 6 month stay in Thailand and 6-month stay in the USA, with a break of three months in between the two places. Going to Thailand on a tourist visa next month. Over all, now I like Pattaya compared to Bangkok. I'm not a country person. All my adult life I spent in Silicon Valley. I like small US university towns and I already have a house in a IL university town and a condo in Las Vegas. I  don't like to stay in ISSAN, though my GF has her mother's house in Rasi Salai (inside the town) with a large piece of land where i could build a house, if I wish. She has also inherited a large land in Kolar, outside the town. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 7:13 AM, Peterw42 said:

Yes, more expensive. At least 10-20% across the board. If a coke is 20 baht in pattaya 7/11, it will be 22-25 in Phuket. All those little 10-20%s add up.

I didn't notice that much until I went there with Thai wife and she started pointing out the differences. 2 years later she still talks about MK "Gold" restaurant, which is basically MK restaurant with a premium price tag.

And the food in MK Gold isn't as good as it is in normal MK restaurants in Pattaya

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:08 AM, Kenchamp said:

And if you do rent or own a scooter you will also be "systematically raped" by the Phuket cops who set up checkpoints all over the place targeting farangs

That's the Thai way they do business, in Hua-hin happens the same with the police, however sinds covid I do'nt have seen them yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

That's the Thai way they do business, in Hua-hin happens the same with the police, however sinds covid I do'nt have seen them yet.

Bullpie, they stopped those without helmet and checked paperwork. In Hua Hin they stop locals as well.

I lived there for 3 years and was only fined for red light crossing once because I crossed a red light, never fined for no helmet or anything else.

• Like 1

It seems most people are saying Phuket is more expensive than Pattaya, the question is why?

Is it because of supply and demand so market forces or is it because they can get away with it?

If its so expensive why do people go back? I know the beaches are better there, but would that be enough to make people pay more for hotels, meals, entertainment etc?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

It seems most people are saying Phuket is more expensive than Pattaya, the question is why?

The "why" has been mentioned before if I'm not mistaken.

2 main factors:

- Phuket is an island far away from the main commercial hub (Bangkok).

- Phuket is totally corrupted (crooked transportation system and police).

As for the future, I'll be interested to know as well...