Moving marriage extension to new passport.

Hi, i have just applied for a new marriage extension today in Trat, so will get in one month by 11/07/22. My OZ passport ends 23/01/23 bit of a bummer as xmas hols and new year could effect EMS delivery and could take 8 weeks to renew, However apart from that problem, I was under the impression that once I get the new passport, the extension would be just transferred into my new passport, But they told me I have to go all through the process and apply AGAIN . Is this in fact true ?

If your passport has less than 12 months of validity immigration will only issued your extension to the day your passport expires. Then when you get a new passport you will have to apply new extension by the new day it expires.

Prior to August of 2013 they would do the extension for a full year if your passport had less than 12 months.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your passport has less than 12 months of validity immigration will only issued your extension to the day your passport expires. Then when you get a new passport you will have to apply new extension by the new day it expires.

Prior to August of 2013 they would do the extension for a full year if your passport had less than 12 months.

Thanks Joe, so probably better to apply for new passport around mid November ?

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think I would apply for a new passport in October to allow plenty of time to get the new one.

I have applied for new passport 11 months early to avoid losing  a little over a month on my extension when a I apply for it in August. After doing 13 extensions that were all dated in August it would be big change to me.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 6:34 PM, brianthainess said:

You have to make an appointment at the Oz embassy for an interview and when I checked last month there was a 7 week waiting time for that ! Then your passport will take at least 6 weeks, maybe more as apparently the passport office has a lot of applications for new passports now that people can travel overseas again. 

So that would be at least 13 weeks before you get your new passport, November might be a bit late ?

Edited by MikeN
  • Thanks 1