my Thai child is covid positive via atk... how and where to get those free anti viral pills ?

To answer you question specifically: 

You call in to the Covid hotline - at some point after that a Dr. will call you back and you tell him the symptoms etc.. the Dr will decided if your child needs ‘antivirals’ (Favipiravir) and sent a ‘care package’ to your house (I’m not 100% sure if they still do that though).

When my Wife and Son (8yrs) had covid, she called it in and a care package was sent. Because there symptoms were mild there as no Favipiravir. 

When my In Laws had covid, they called it in and a care package was sent which included Favipiravir. 

---------

The reality - For Favipiravir to be effective it needs to be taken in high dosage early on. 

By the time any gets to you (via a care package, its not so effective at preventing the onset of serious symptoms for those who may get serious symptoms).

Additionally, the high dosage the hospitals were administering were not good for the kidney / liver - thus that has to be balanced with the risk of getting seriously ill from Covid vs effects from medication. 

Realistically, IF your son has mild symptoms, feverish and sore throat just like any other cold he’s had then just treat it as a cold... he’ll be fine in a day or two and testing negative again in less than a week. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Realistically, IF your son has mild symptoms, feverish and sore throat just like any other cold he’s had then just treat it as a cold... he’ll be fine in a day or two and testing negative again in less than a week. 

That's what happened with our entire family.  

Our 3 year old and 8 year olds ended up with mild fevers for 2 days and we within a week were perfectly fine.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Good advice and in line with the best medical advice.

Having said that I've noticed that middle class Thai parents almost always seem to take their Covid affected children to hospital/clinic and are then invariably prescribed with several drugs sometimes antivirals as well.The option of having them recover under parental supervision at home without medical intervention doesn't seem to occur to them.Obviously if there was any unusual symptom a visit to the hospital/clinic would be justified but in most cases the symptoms are as you describe.

I've been here long enough not to question weird Thai customs openly.But I did mention to a Thai friend that a Covid affected child of a my relative in the UK was treated at home without visiting hospital.I was floored by her reply." What you must understand that we Thais really love our children."

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1