Kanchanabury today?

swissie

Haven't been in Kanchanabury for  6 years. There used to be a road (sorry forgot the name), with many Guest-Houses and Bars, catering mostly to Farang Visitors. (some used to call it "little Pattaya" in the "old days".

What's left of it?  

As somebody else mentioned, Bojangles, plus Aussie Rules, Ting Tong Bar, Tapas Thai, The Tavern, The Monkey Bar and more are open though quiet.   Decent food at both Tapas Thai and Bojangles, though I highly recommend ME Kitchen and Bar which is on the other side of the river, about 5 km away so you need transport, excellent food and riverside location.

not the same as you would remember it mate ..sad compared to 6...10 years ago atmosphere changed            New ugly hotels springing up prices up quality of food down at a lot of places ..it all sounds negative i know but i love the place and the area surrounding it i still go a few times a year ...but not the same... same

Natee The Riverfront Hotel is one of the best I have stayed anywhere in Thailand, although last time I was there the excellent buffet breakfast was changed to table service which was not as nice.

There are enough bars and restaurants open to make a short stay enjoyable.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:17 AM, pagallim said:

As somebody else mentioned, Bojangles, plus Aussie Rules, Ting Tong Bar, Tapas Thai, The Tavern, The Monkey Bar and more are open though quiet.   Decent food at both Tapas Thai and Bojangles, though I highly recommend ME Kitchen and Bar which is on the other side of the river, about 5 km away so you need transport, excellent food and riverside location.

Most mentioned places above, I remember. I guess it helps if a place has been "Family-Owned" for ages. No mortgages to pay etc etc. Can outlast economical downturns better than others. Of course, if an economical downturn never stops, then.....

It’s fairly quiet, busier on the weekends, 10 baht bar is still open, would recommend staying at the phong phen guesthouse right in the heart of everything budget room with a swimming pool, I’ve just moved house here and find it a good balance of quiet thai life but enough foreigners to stop you getting bored with a ton of things to do, overall it’s a very cheap and beautiful province to live in.