Can you open a bank account as a tourist?

3 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Bangkok

In Bangkok you will require a letter from embassy (not all embassies provide) OR residence certificate.

For RC in Bangkok you need to have made a 90 report, which you will not have on a TV.

Use an agent. 

Check with Siam Legal. 

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, buick said:

not sure where you are in bangkok, but i'd suggest bangkok bank main office at 333 silom road

I'm pretty much certain BB will require residence certificate or statement from embassy (for opening bank account in Bangkok)

On a TV it would need be statement from embassy.

Not all provide that service.

Oz embassy being one. 

Everything is possible with money. There are hundreds of agents who will do it for a fee. If you want to open an account without spending any dime, you can start walking randomly in the scorching sun  and visit all the banks in your ways. Good luck with that approach. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

When I opened my account I just had a Thai friend call a few branches until one said they will open one for me, asked for the name of the person on the phone, went to the branch, asked for the person, got my bank account.

20 minutes of phone calls versus 3-4k baht...

And setting up a meeting with an agent probably takes just as much time, and you might have to travel to a branch across town.

Where? 

The OP is opening account in Bangkok 

When did you open this account 

Which bank.

Without details your post means little.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

When I opened my account I just had a Thai friend call a few branches until one said they will open one for me, asked for the name of the person on the phone, went to the branch, asked for the person, got my bank account.

20 minutes of phone calls versus 3-4k baht...

And setting up a meeting with an agent probably takes just as much time, and you might have to travel to a branch across town.

that sounds good and i hope the OP can do the same.  thai friends can help. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I opened a bank account in Pattaya when on a 30 day Visa On Arrival 16 years ago no problems at all, in and out in 15 minutes. But I think now you need a Residence Certificate from the Immigration Office to open an Account with most banks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, barnsleyman said:

I opened a bank account in Pattaya when on a 30 day Visa On Arrival 16 years ago no problems at all, in and out in 15 minutes. But I think now you need a Residence Certificate from the Immigration Office to open an Account with most banks.

Things have changed dramatically in last few years main reason being money laundering laws 

Also if currently you were opening a bank account in Bangkok and a residence certificate was required you could not obtain one on visa exempt or tourist visa.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also if currently you were opening a bank account in Bangkok and a residence certificate was required you could not obtain one on visa exempt or tourist visa.

Yes, I believe also some banks in Pattaya are refusing to open accounts unless you have a Non immigrant '' O'' Visa in your passport.

10 minutes ago, USNret said:

I did it at the Bangkok Bank at Rama 9 Central mall. No agent, no letter from the embassy. In fact, no visa… I was Visa Exempt. 

were you changing over to a NON O retirement and got them excited with the prospect of an 800,000thb deposit ?  a plan to transfer funds to buy a condo ? or did they just open it w/o any 'enticements' ?  in the last 4 yrs or so, there have been alot of questions on here about how to get an account open (visa exempt or tourist visa).  usually after the OP's have tried several banks w/o success.  maybe you were one of the lucky ones.

i kind of like the buy the insurance option.  you never know, maybe you'll have an accident and cash in on the insurance.  at least you've got a little something for your 3,000-4000thb.  but if you use an agent, you make a contact.  agents can be helpful in the future.

4 minutes ago, ed strong said:

I opened an account as a tourist, through Kasikorn bank, I didnt tell them i was a tourist though. It was 3 years ago and i cant remember what i said but its important to look important. I'm from the UK and dont have a visa or anything in my passport that relates to how long im there for.

My new bank card did not have my name on it, and if you lose it, you just go to the bank and they give you a new one right then, although you do have to pay 200b or something like that and you have also deposit 500b into your new new account when you open it.

Your first para doesn't sound right.  ????

• Like 1