Visa exempt after 3 years OA visa

I have been living in Thailand for 3 years on an OA visa and extensions. I now am going back to the UK for a few months and then returning to Thailand. I dont want another OA visa so thinking about coming in visa exempt.(and changing to non O for retirement) I was wondering if i will have any problem at immigration on arrival as obviously i am not a typical tourist which  visa exempt  is meant for. Would it help to tell the immigration officer my plans?  The other thing is would i need to show a return flight out of Thailand (after 30 days) and also the airline might want to see that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

You will not have an issue.

Regarding onward flight (does not have to be return) it should be within 30 days.

Airline may require onward flight to issue boarding pass.

Edited by DrJack54

As Dr Jack says, should be no problem as many have done this recently to relieve themselves from the OA/retirement ext insurance. I will follow this route in August.

A throwaway ticket from Thailand to a neighbouring country , with a date before your visa exempt expires, is your best option .

• Like 1

I used to have a Non-Immigrant O visa (based on retirement), permission to stay on this visa was extended for many years.

This visa expired because I had to stay in Europe longer than expected (Covid pandemic).

I returned to Thailand by plane on a 30 days return ticket, which is proof for Immigration that you can return within 30 days, and entered Thailand on visa exemption: automatically 30 days free.

Don't wait till the last day, because handling can take some time, so during the first or second week go to Immigration with the right papers and apply for a Non-O visa. This first Non-O visa will be valid for 3 months.

After receipt of the first Non-O visa contact airline to change return date on plane ticket, probably better to buy ticket with flexible return date.

Before end of first visa validity apply for the second Non-O visa (on basis of retirement), which will be valid for 1 year; this one can be extended at Immigration in Thailand.

Good luck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toho said:

Don't wait till the last day, because handling can take some time, so during the first or second week go to Immigration with the right papers and apply for a Non-O visa.

You have to have at least 15 days remaining on your stay to apply for a non-o or any other non immigrant visa at immigration.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, toho said:

Before end of first visa validity apply for the second Non-O visa (on basis of retirement), which will be valid for 1 year

Just to tidy that bit up.

It's not before end of first visa validity.

The non O is used. 

It gave you 90 day permission of stay. 

With 15+ days left on that permit you can obtain a 12 month extension based on retirement.

You are not applying for a "second non O visa" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drkenchao said:

is a return ticket or onward air ticket absolute necessity for thailand entry? or.boarding the plane to.thailand? assume you use visa exempt or simply an.O visa to enter thailand? 

It can be required by airline at departure to issue boarding pass.

It would only be asked for visa exempt.

With a visa or reentry permit the airline would not ask for onward flight. 

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

With a visa or reentry permit the airline would not ask for onward flight.

Unless you're flying Thai International, it's doubtful the airline understands that your "visa extension" (i.e., your current extension of stay) will lose its one year validity upon re-entering Thailand without a re-entry permit. But, if Thai immigration wants to see an onward ticket, this observation about airline scrutiny is just a curiosity, but  moot.

2 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Unless you're flying Thai International, it's doubtful the airline understands that your "visa extension" (i.e., your current extension of stay) will lose its one year validity upon re-entering Thailand without a re-entry permit. But, if Thai immigration wants to see an onward ticket, this observation about airline scrutiny is just a curiosity, but  moot.

I stated "visa".

I'm not referring to extension. 

A valid visa could be for example non O-A or ME non O or tourist visa etc.

With a valid visa or reentry permit an onward flight is not required. 

I used the term "visa extension" because this is a term, even used by the US Embassy, to denote that Immigration has extended your permission of stay. Yes, the term is technically not correct -- you can't extend a visa, as it has an expiration date certain, with no renewals allowed. But its wording does denote what's going on, namely, you're being allowed to remain in country longer than your original entry permission.

Anyway, my point is that the airline will see that you've got a permission of stay, possibly as much as 11+ months into the future, stamped into your passport. This will interpreted as a visa extension,  even tho' your visa has expired. My other point -- possibly a reach -- is that the airline clerk will not be aware that you need a reentry permit to maintain the validity of this "visa extension."

Airlines have guidance from ICAO; don't know what they say about reentry permits and trips to Thailand.....

• Haha 1