US to invest $130 billion to develop emerging Defense technologies

snoop1130

00032ca98x_2022-06-16_17-06-28.jpg

International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) Director-General and Chief Executive John Chipman (R) gestures to US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin at the Shangri-La Dialogue summit in Singapore on June 11, 2022.

AFP / Roslan Rahman

MANILA, Philippines — The United States is investing $130 billion for its defense budget for research and development of emerging technologies.

Based on a transcript of United States Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin’s interview at the IISS Shangri-La Dialogue dated June 11, he said that Washington continues “to invest a sustantial amount” to ensure that the country can respond to any potential conflict.

“We believe that in order to remain relevant, we have to make sure that we're investing in the right kinds of things to support the operational concepts that we think are important in any conflict — that we'll employ in any conflict going forward.” Austin said.

Full Story: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2022/06/16/2188835/us-invest-130-billion-develop-emerging-defense-technologies

philstar.png
-- © Copyright Philstar 2022-06-16

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine if that money would be spend on schools and education in that country...

I think the annual budget for DoD is something like 700 billion.  So relatively speaking I don't think it's that much.  I think it is more necessary now that we have two giant nuclear superpowers acting very aggressively and authoritarian to try help protect the world order.

Edited by shdmn