Are You Taking Vitamin D3?

Stubby

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

As I have been living in Thailand for over 20 years I have been doing a lot of research when I fist came here  I also started taking vit. C in large amounts  as I was getting sick often from the food and the bacteria. I started with 10 grams a day and was running to the toilet often so I cut it down to 5 grams a day and I have never stopped taking it for the last 20 years .I have been in great shape. All my 3 brothers and my sister have cataracts but not me, so supplements do help, you just have to find the one's that's best for you.

I think you mean mg right? But 10mg of vitam C isn't much considering most supplements average 500mg. Or perhaps I've not grasped your message?

10 hours ago, Stubby said:

I think you mean mg right? But 10mg of vitam C isn't much considering most supplements average 500mg. Or perhaps I've not grasped your message?

No, I am talking Grams not MG. Your body does not store Vit. c ,what you don't use comes right out. When it comes out it goes over your kidneys and gallbladder to shrink any stones you might have

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Excellent.  Thank you for your prompt reply.????

100.000 IU of vitamin D day is very high  /  I prefer to follow the advise given on Youtube by UK Dr Campbell        /                   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5g9AVqRsjo                                                                             

10 hours ago, vandeventer said:

No, I am talking Grams not MG. Your body does not store Vit. c ,what you don't use comes right out. When it comes out it goes over your kidneys and gallbladder to shrink any stones you might have

OK, thank you ;)

3 hours ago, fvw53 said:

100.000 IU of vitamin D day is very high  /  I prefer to follow the advise given on Youtube by UK Dr Campbell        /                   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5g9AVqRsjo                                                                             

The vitamin D3 content is very confusing for the layperson. It reads: Vitamin D3 (100000 IU/g) 1.68 mg. (or 168 IU per capsule). I mean, I take 1000 IU per day in a single tablet. So what 100000 IU/g and 168 IU mean in the same sentence, I have no idea. Maybe there's only a super-low dose of 168 IU contained in the product? 

If someone's reading here who's switched on to all these measurements, please let us know.

Edited by Stubby

47 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The vitamin D3 content is very confusing for the layperson. It reads: Vitamin D3 (100000 IU/g) 1.68 mg. (or 168 IU per capsule). I mean, I take 1000 IU per day in a single tablet. So what 100000 IU/g and 168 IU mean in the same sentence, I have no idea. Maybe there's only a super-low dose of 168 IU contained in the product? 

If someone's reading here who's switched on to all these measurements, please let us know.

I am not a medical professional (but I graduated in astrophysics so that I can read reasonable well medical science) :  if you take 1000 IU of D3 per day in a single tablet you should be OK / after a lot of reading I am taking 2000 IU a day combined with 100 mg K2/MK7 to direct the calcium produced by D3 to the bones and not to the heart region/ some people prefer to take 5000 IU of D once a week because D3 is stored in the body and that is also reasonable / I would not dare to take over a long period 100.000 IU of D3 per day because according to the famous Mayo Clinic it can be toxic  /  https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108#:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Who makes them, Charlie, do you know? It says the brand is called 'The Nature' and the bottles are in English, but I can't seem to find any brand info.

Heres the bottle info

SmartSelect_20220622-191339_Firefox.jpg

On 6/17/2022 at 12:05 AM, Hummin said:

First of all, find out your needs by doing bloodwork. 

I order what I need from Iherb.

yes, exactly right--new studies clearly show that continued high doses of Vit D3 can damage the kidneys==as advised, check blood work to confirm deficiency and consult medical professional.

22 hours ago, fvw53 said:

I am not a medical professional (but I graduated in astrophysics so that I can read reasonable well medical science) :  if you take 1000 IU of D3 per day in a single tablet you should be OK / after a lot of reading I am taking 2000 IU a day combined with 100 mg K2/MK7 to direct the calcium produced by D3 to the bones and not to the heart region/ some people prefer to take 5000 IU of D once a week because D3 is stored in the body and that is also reasonable / I would not dare to take over a long period 100.000 IU of D3 per day because according to the famous Mayo Clinic it can be toxic  /  https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108#:

Thank you, fvw53, Ithat's useful ;)

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Heres the bottle info

SmartSelect_20220622-191339_Firefox.jpg

Thanks, Charlie. From what I can fathom, PKFB is a pharmaceutical manufacturing company that makes supplements for the "The Nature" brand, though I still can't find anything on the latter. It's also quite possible that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. That happens quite a lot ;)

On 6/18/2022 at 9:24 AM, Stubby said:

I have seen some incredible deals online, but I was put off by what the lady said about not trusting online supplements.

That's called dissing the competition.. but I agree w/others who think you might want to get blood tests and such... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Thanks, Charlie. From what I can fathom, PKFB is a pharmaceutical manufacturing company that makes supplements for the "The Nature" brand, though I still can't find anything on the latter. It's also quite possible that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. That happens quite a lot ????

I think its reasonable to say they are manufactured correctly by a legitimate  licensed pharmaceutical company . They work well for me ???? been taking them consistently  for sometime.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:43 PM, fvw53 said:

I never said that I took 100.000 IU of vitamin D per day.  I thanked the person for the info I requested.

13 hours ago, Stubby said:

Thanks, Charlie. From what I can fathom, PKFB is a pharmaceutical manufacturing company that makes supplements for the "The Nature" brand, though I still can't find anything on the latter. It's also quite possible that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. That happens quite a lot ????

PM sent.

Hi everyone.

I just received this in my email regarding a docuseries about supplements.  I’m pretty sure they will talk about many of the things mentioned on this post.    I think it’s nine episodes and when it starts each episode is available for a 24 hour period where you can watch and take notes if you wish. When all episodes have played there is usually a binge watch weekend where you can watch missed episodes. The producers of this make their money by selling the videos should you want to keep a record and they state there is no connection to manufacturers nor are they selling any supplements themselves.

I have watched other series by them over the last several years and found them very useful.

In this link there is an introductory video telling you more about it as well as episode summaries:

https://supplementsrevealed.com/ebook-cheat-guide/?a_aid=otto&a_bid=dcda983b

Edited by Harveyg

I have a related question about Vit D3 supplements.

I have taken it for a couple years on doctor's advice.

My labs are in range now for D3, but I don't feel any different and I still get nuisance colds etc.

Anyone have a noticeable difference in the way they feel or in anything other than lab results since taking D3?

On 6/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, KhunLA said:

tan.png

I don't really know how to tell you this, so I'll just spit it out...
The toenails on your little toes somehow got side-mounted, instead of on top.
You might want to complain to the manufacturer. Are the feet out of warranty?

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 4:37 AM, fvw53 said:

I am taking 2000 IU a day combined with 100 mg K2/MK7 to direct the calcium produced by D3 to the bones and not to the heart region

What? No one, including any doctor or other medical professional I've seen here in the US, has ever mentioned that without K2 (what is MK7? Never mind, I'll Google it), the body will channel the calcium to the heart instead of the bones. That's very important info. I've been taking 5,000 IU D3 for at least two years, but no K vitamins.

Edited by PadPrikKhing

11 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I have a related question about Vit D3 supplements.

I have taken it for a couple years on doctor's advice.

My labs are in range now for D3, but I don't feel any different and I still get nuisance colds etc.

Anyone have a noticeable difference in the way they feel or in anything other than lab results since taking D3?

I cannot say one way or the other about the D3 that I take, however, since I started taking vitamin C as ascorbic acid, gosh it must be eight years already, I don’t think I’ve had any kind of cold or flu. I’m 71.

Very occasionally I’ll get a little scratchiness in my throat and I up my vitamin C that same day and it goes away. My daily dose is 2500 mg and if I need more I wait ~1 1/4 hr before taking another 2500.  In unusual consequences I will have to repeat that again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody on this forum has mentioned that most vitamins, when taken in excess, simply excrete from the body through urine or whatever.

NOT Vitamin D.  It is one of the very FEW vitamins that can be toxic, even fatal.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, PadPrikKhing said:

What? No one, including any doctor or other medical professional I've seen here in the US, has ever mentioned that without K2 (what is MK7? Never mind, I'll Google it), the body will channel the calcium to the heart instead of the bones. That's very important info. I've been taking 5,000 IU D3 for at least two years, but no K vitamins.

Just found this one

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8483258/

14 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I'm surprised nobody on this forum has mentioned that most vitamins, when taken in excess, simply excrete from the body through urine or whatever.

NOT Vitamin D.  It is one of the very FEW vitamins that can be toxic, even fatal.

Vitamin D3 is in fact a hormon which is stored in the liver : it can be toxic with a dosage of more tha 50.000 IU or 1250 mcg a day /  look at Youtube what the UK Dr John Campbell says on this issue....he is providing his sources and not selling you anything / in one of his video he says that he takes 2000 IU a day and that is why I do also but I combine it with 100 mcg of Vitamin K2(MK4) to divert the produced calcium to the bones and away from the heart and blood vessels                     (49) Vitamin D dose - YouTube

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Vitamin D3 is in fact a hormon which is stored in the liver : it can be toxic with a dosage of more tha 50.000 IU or 1250 mcg a day /  look at Youtube what the UK Dr John Campbell says on this issue....he is providing his sources and not selling you anything / in one of his video he says that he takes 2000 IU a day and that is why I do also but I combine it with 100 mcg of Vitamin K2(MK4) to divert the produced calcium to the bones and away from the heart and blood vessels                     (49) Vitamin D dose - YouTube

Campbell is NOT a medical Dr his Phd is in nursing education. I would not trust him on pharmaceutical advice, Sheryl is a better source of info!

34 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Most drs dont study much nutrition. Thats what dieticians do.

And most nutrians hype up theoretical evidences before clinical studies have proved anything. 

"Dr" Campbell seems to be more on the fact side than other famous nutritians. So he is a god reference to check out compared to many others in my opinion

• Like 1