Filming in Thailand

Tayida

What are the laws are filming In thailand? They do Zumba classes on Patong beach nightly and there was a gentlemen filming but to the point of getting in everyone’s personal space, faces and behind them and came close to me and I went up to him and said stop it. He then proceeded to shove his camera in my face and ask who hell I was and I grabbed it away from my face, he claims he was with the dancers, but my concern is what he does with the footage. 

Is this legal here?

Thanks for any help

he cannot film your personal space

also he cannot film any classes without a permission from the teacher and you guys. 

many people think its legal to film in public areas. Yes, it is actually BUT if you film directly or knowingly a place near the public area its actually illegal. 

for example you can film a public area near the police station but if your film is 30min and the police station with details of the building is 25 of this 30 min, thats illegal. because obviously you are not fliming public area but the station. there is probably no punishment but its normal if the cops start questioning you.

so your class is the same thing. Actually if its open yes, he can film but not you guys all the time. Obviously not you and your personal space.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I Worked Freelance for the ABC and the BBC so we were well versed in the law before we set out.

there is no expectation of privacy in public, and anything visible from Public is also legally ok to film.

You can even film the Police at a scene of a crime from a Public area.

Thailand does have a law about getting into peoples personal space, if they feel you are move along a little.

You can not photograph certain Buddha images.

Edited by Madmogwai
  • Thanks 2

On 7/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, Madmogwai said:

I Worked Freelance for the ABC and the BBC so we were well versed in the law before we set out.

there is no expectation of privacy in public, and anything visible from Public is also legally ok to film.

You can even film the Police at a scene of a crime from a Public area.

Thailand does have a law about getting into peoples personal space, if they feel you are move along a little.

You can not photograph certain Buddha images.

That was before PDPA became law (Thai version of GDPR, privacy law)

• 1 month later...