Get around in Pai

ericl

Hello,

Since I can't drive motorbikes, is there any taxi available in Pai ? To go to some famous places like Santichon Village, Pai Canyon, Bamboo bridge.

Thank you !

Edited by ericl

My experience where ever I go, transport is easy to find at once you arrive the location. Should be able to find drivers easy if you just ask around. You have the standard tourist busses, buying ticket at their offices, or someone who know someone at the resort, hotel, bar you visit. Works world wide

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Real Name Hidden said:

Bamboo Bridge near Mae Hong Son is wonderful, but it’s a few hours from Pai.

https://mychiangmaitour.com/su_tong_pae/

Looks nice but you would want to stay in mhs for 2 nights or more. A 7 night cm mhs loop by car be the go.

Most caves and waterfalls are outside town. The small towns are nothing much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Bamboo bridge? Never heard of it. Not so famous.

Hire a car in Chiang Mai.

Kho Kuu So Bamboo Bridge more precisely.  I'm afraid hiring a driver for a day is too expensive for me ...

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Santichon village

Sounds like a tourist trap!

Pai is a small town. The best thing is a cave system 1 hour north. Tham Lot at Soppong.

hire a car in cm. Get a map stop where you want.

There is a spot with a good view just next to this village ! ????

4 minutes ago, Real Name Hidden said:

Bamboo Bridge near Mae Hong Son is wonderful, but it’s a few hours from Pai.

https://mychiangmaitour.com/su_tong_pae/

Yeah I saw it, but I don't plan to go to MHS this time, maybe next time ! ????

6 minutes ago, ericl said:
Kho Kuu So Bamboo Bridge more precisely.  I'm afraid hiring a driver for a day is too expensive for me ...

There is a spot with a good view just next to this village ! ????

Yeah I saw it, but I don't plan to go to MHS this time, maybe next time ! ????

Hire a car, drive yourself.

I am pretty sure if you arrive at any hotel in Pai, the management will be able to set you up with a car and driver for however many days you want. It's a tourist town.

Failing that, if you get off the bus from Chiang Mai in Pai, I will bet my left nut there will be songthaews and tuk-tuks encircling the bus station like crows around a dying sheep.

7 hours ago, treetops said:

How much is it?

I asked one, it's 300 Baht per hour.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am pretty sure if you arrive at any hotel in Pai, the management will be able to set you up with a car and driver for however many days you want. It's a tourist town.

Failing that, if you get off the bus from Chiang Mai in Pai, I will bet my left nut there will be songthaews and tuk-tuks encircling the bus station like crows around a dying sheep.

Thank you, maybe you're right yeah.

Would not recommend going there without your own transport. Unless you constantly want to hire a driver, likely having to pay him/her half or full days due to remote spots.

The city center itself might not be that big, but in that case you would be done after just 1-2 days too. Same as it is in Chiang Rai basically. 

So actually you could rent a car from Chiang Mai from as little as 800B per day, then you can drive to Pai and other places yourself and enjoy it at the most.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Would not recommend going there without your own transport. Unless you constantly want to hire a driver, likely having to pay him/her half or full days due to remote spots.

The city center itself might not be that big, but in that case you would be done after just 1-2 days too. Same as it is in Chiang Rai basically. 

So actually you could rent a car from Chiang Mai from as little as 800B per day, then you can drive to Pai and other places yourself and enjoy it at the most.

The problem is I can't drive. ???? But one solution would be a day tour (with a guide and a group) from Chiang Mai (a bit exhausting) or from Pai.

5 minutes ago, ericl said:

I asked one, it's 300 Baht per hour.

Normally you get a driver for 1000 baht a day and now even less if not to busy, and you pay the gasoline. 

If you do not have enough money, it is better to stay put, get to know someone to share time and cost with, or stay only in Chiang Mai or Pattaya to save your money for longer stay. 

Transport cost money if you are not able to rent a motorbike. 

Organized Day-trips with mini-busses cost often a lot  more money than renting a budget driver.

Thailand is cheap and good holiday destination on budget if you just learn to get around the tourist traps and get to know people who also benefit from you, without exploiting you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Normally you get a driver for 1000 baht a day and now even less if not to busy, and you pay the gasoline. 

If you do not have enough money, it is better to stay put, get to know someone to share time and cost with, or stay only in Chiang Mai or Pattaya to save your money for longer stay. 

Transport cost money if you are not able to rent a motorbike. 

Organized Day-trips with mini-busses cost often a lot  more money than renting a budget driver.

Thailand is cheap and good holiday destination on budget if you just learn to get around the tourist traps and get to know people who also benefit from you, without exploiting you. 

1000 Baht for a private driver a day + gasoline, sounds good. I'll think about it. ????

53 minutes ago, ericl said:

1000 Baht for a private driver a day + gasoline, sounds good. I'll think about it. ????

Excluding gasoline surely possible. Do mind gasoline is now average 50 baht per liter already.

• Like 1