Thai resident updating Australian visa with new passport

My Thai partner has a so-far-unused 3 year tourist visa for Australia. Her passport has expired and she's had it renewed, no problem there.

To update the Australian IMMI system she needs to obtain good quality scan of passport cover page and the photo page ... this is clear to her but she's having difficulty with the concept of getting those two items certified as 'true copies'.

Nothing needs translation - simply stamped or signed in English as being 'true copies'. 

We've had much to and fro-ing about the difficulty finding a lawyer to stamp and sign them, x thousand baht required etc.

This stuff is easy-peasy in Australia - official documents like this can be witnessed by a wide range of people - JP, doctor, post officer etc etc ... and usually for free.

Her village is near Uttaradit and she'll be visiting Bangkok soon to stay with family in the Bang Na area. Any clues who can help her near either area?

Anyone got a list (preferably in Thai) of officials who are acceptable to Australian IMMI that i can pass on to her?

Alternatively, an example of somebody's 'true copy' stamp' would be nice.

Australian IMMI (uncharacteristically ha ha) not being too helpful.

I recently needed a verified copy of my Australian passport, l googled "public notary", found one close by, 500 thb.

He also supplied very supportive credentials of his registration

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, norbra said:

I recently needed a verified copy of my Australian passport, l googled "public notary", found one close by, 500 thb.

He also supplied very supportive credentials of his registration

IMG_20220620_164952.jpg

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BananaGuy said:

To update the Australian IMMI system she needs to obtain good quality scan of passport cover page and the photo page ... this is clear to her but she's having difficulty with the concept of getting those two items certified as 'true copies'.

Nothing needs translation - simply stamped or signed in English as being 'true copies'.

I had to do this for my wife 4 years ago. Back then the IMMI system accepted "Self Certified True Copies" so getting a copy notarised was not necessary. After uploading the scanned copies into the system she subsequently received an email from DFAT confirming that the validity of the 3 years visa had been transferred to her new Thai PP. We travelled to Australia a couple of months later under her new PP and there were no problems.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

If she still has her expired passport, just travel with both and they will add the visa to her new passport at the airport in Australia.

No they won’t. Australia dropped physical visa stamps a while ago. Visa is recorded on IMMI computer, not in passport at all.

On 6/20/2022 at 8:24 PM, mark5335 said:

I had to do this for my wife 4 years ago. Back then the IMMI system accepted "Self Certified True Copies" so getting a copy notarised was not necessary. After uploading the scanned copies into the system she subsequently received an email from DFAT confirming that the validity of the 3 years visa had been transferred to her new Thai PP. We travelled to Australia a couple of months later under her new PP and there were no problems.

Believe things have changed, no mention of ‘self-certified’ nowadays … IMMI apparently need certified copy from immigration lawyer or equivalent to JP … but there is no obvious equivalent to a JP in Thailand …

32 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

No they won’t. Australia dropped physical visa stamps a while ago. Visa is recorded on IMMI computer, not in passport at all.

Yes they will.

The visa is electronically linked to the old passport when that is scanned. Having a paper visa makes no difference

My friends girlfriend did exactly that two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, BananaGuy said:

Believe things have changed, no mention of ‘self-certified’ nowadays … IMMI apparently need certified copy from immigration lawyer or equivalent to JP … but there is no obvious equivalent to a JP in Thailand …

Thai Public Notary equivalent to Australian JP

Screenshot_20220621_192243_com.brave.browser.jpg

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

Yes they will.

The visa is electronically linked to the old passport when that is scanned. Having a paper visa makes no difference

My friends girlfriend did exactly that two weeks ago.

So she travelled with a visa associated with an expired passport?

Presumably she entered Australia on her new passport - which was not associated with a visa on arrival?

Sounds risky/lucky.

Congratulations to your friend's girlfriend on her success - maybe she should buy a lottery ticket while she's here!

4 hours ago, BananaGuy said:

So she travelled with a visa associated with an expired passport?

Presumably she entered Australia on her new passport - which was not associated with a visa on arrival?

Sounds risky/lucky.

Congratulations to your friend's girlfriend on her success - maybe she should buy a lottery ticket while she's here!

It has nothing to do with luck, it happens all of the time.

It's pretty much standard practice.

You give the entry officer both passports and tell them the visa is linked to the expired one.

He scans the old one and then calls Immigration who then link the visa to the new passport.