Quad bikes.

Just a quicky.

Giving some serious thought to buying a quad bike................... mainly to transport me and the dog (maybe the wife as well) to a knock-down out in the rice fields.......I have got to escape the hustle and bustle of Isan village life.

Are there any experts on here who could give some friendly advice?

Wheel size

Power

Make

Insurance

Drive mechanism

Licence- do I need a bike licence or is my car driving licence good enough?

Where to buy (new/second hand?)

All that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

You probably know a quad bike can't be registered to use on the road, but they are for sale...

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/atv-200cc-konik-z200-343225

Oh! I did not know that......so thank you....potentially a major spoke in the wheels.

It is about a km to the dirt track, which leads to the knockdown........we are so far out in the sticks I think I might still risk it.

Cheers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Oh! I did not know that......so thank you....potentially a major spoke in the wheels.

It is about a km to the dirt track, which leads to the knockdown........we are so far out in the sticks I think I might still risk it.

Cheers

A bit risky if you have a road problem........????

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, transam said:

A bit risky if you have a road problem........????

Mmmm......not one for breaking rules......but the quad would solve a few problems......have to sleep on this one......thanks.

you can't get plates/registration for them, there's no category of plate that it falls into

even if you can 'convince' the lto to register it as farming vehicle, you can't take it on main roads so no insurance

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Mmmm......not one for breaking rules......but the quad would solve a few problems......have to sleep on this one......thanks.

You wouldn't have a problem you may able to get CTPL govt insurance which is better than nowt same as EV bikes I believe at least it would show your being responsible.

This is Thailand enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering some of the older vehicles, and very questionable ones out in the sticks, I wouldn't be concerned.  They drive tractors on the road out there.  Not a fan of quads (bikes) myself, maybe a buggy instead.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2787771148196289/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A4e2c0312-4458-49e5-a533-c880980d267a

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1613693205680851/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A4e2c0312-4458-49e5-a533-c880980d267a

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Can these have plates/insurance etc.....or are they in the same boat as the quad bikes?

IMHO if you live out in the sticks, there are only likely to be the local plods, and they don't really care as they live out in the villages as you do.

The Thai guy who lives next door to me has a quad bike and a big old Honda trike and nobody bothers him.

Still it is up to you but as you probably won't be taking it on the expressway or the main highways the chances of even being seen are low.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Can these have plates/insurance etc.....or are they in the same boat as the quad bikes?

Don't know, guessing not though, and more hassle and expense to register, than fines you'd ever accumulate, if any.