Anyone help with itchy eyes / allergy

Kenny202

Currently taking one a day allergy pill (Fexofenadrine 180 mg) and keeps the hay fever etc away but still suffering badly from itchy irritated eyes. I have tried Cetrazine and Loratadine also but make me too sleepy. I also use Anti Histamine eye drops that help a little but still pretty bad.

Anyone have the same problem or have a particular eye drop that works well? It's probably not even my eyes that are itchy rather the area around my eyes.

No surprisingly no problem at night. Its a seasonal thing, usually 2 or 3 months hot months. I have had it most of my life, everywhere I ever lived. Been tested twice came back allergic to nearly everything particularly cut grass. And no bacteria on eyelids but after rubbing them all day sure would be which leads to styes etc. Not conjunctivitis either no discharge. And as you say steroidal stuff ok temporary use like a week but I need something a bit longer term. I was hoping someone could recommend some better antihistamine drops. I was having a really severe itch on my right forearm but the Fexafenodrine seems to work great on skin allergies / hives etc. Not so good on the eyes.

Edited by Kenny202

I had very bad allergic conjunctivitis with itchy eyes and used Pataday (Olopatadine) from a Thai Eye Clinic and it was very effective.

I also regularly use Zaditen (Ketotifen) which I source from Chemistwarehouse in Oz ( delivery about 5 days) .

Both are mast cell stabilisers/second generation antihistamines and work like steriods without their inherent problems.

Naphcon A is a decongestant which may be good on an ad hoc basis but will cause rebound if used for more than a few days straight.

OcuSoft is a mild anti-bacterial used for eyelid hygiene. It kills bacteria and the demodex mite that causes itchiness and blepharitis which is a major cause of dry eye. It it has proven very effective in my dry eye treatment.

Allergic conjunctivitis doesn't necessarily have any discharge. Bacterial/viral conjunctivitis can.

Never had a stye though I did have bacteria/demodex mite infested eye-lids.

Edited by LosLobo

Gonna get both of those drops today and try them. I don't think it is my eyes that are itchy though more the lids and areas around my actual eyes. I am surprised the strong one a day (Telfast) or Loratadine (Claratyne) don't help at all. I think Cetrazine is better (Zyrtec) but to me I am just like half asleep or half drunk all day. Life just isn't worth living like that

On 6/26/2022 at 10:41 PM, d4dang said:

I have had allergies for decades in Thailand including itchy eyes. I have used Naphcon A eye drops for years.  Check them out. 

I got some Naphcon A to try it. Eyes have been really good last two days. Do you find it takes 20-30 minutes to take effect? But last for at least 3-4 hours

• Like 1

Usually I get relief in a few minutes unless I waited too long after the symptoms started. Sometimes I use them before being exposed to allergens like when I am mowing. walking in BKK when the smog is bad and the rice harvest up country. I also have chemical allergies which the drops help. Fabric softener, cheap perfume, air fresheners etc.  but these exposures can be difficult to treat and can have different symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear soft contact lenses and have problems sometimes in SEA with irritation.

Opthamologist in Vietnam thought I needed to stop wearing contacts, but I didn't want to stop so she prescribed VISMED  eye drops and I've been using them ever since.

Sold in Thailand as VISLUBE.

Not cheap.

Dara sells them about 10 - 20% cheaper than my local pharmacy, but their price is about 20% more than they sell for in Vietnam.

Worth it to me - solves the problem, and still wearing contacts.

Edited by JimmyJ

Been having runny nose and itchy eyes.  Fexofenadrine 180 mg and OcuSoft, both recommended by the opthamologist helped but still had some eye inflammation.  Need to have cataract surgery, but the doctor doesn't want to do it until my eye inflammation goes away.  Went to Bangkok for a week and stayed in an older hotel that had old carpeting, mold in the bathroom, etc.  Not the cleanest place, but still the eye inflammation and runny nose clearer up within two days.

I guess the eye doctor is right.  It's a cat allergy.  Not getting rid of them and they can't "go outside" as the doctor suggested since we live in a condo.  I guess I'll just stay in a hotel for a few days before my next eye appointment and see if my eyes are clear enough for the doctor to accept me for cataract surgery and I'll stay in a hotel before and after the procedure.

12 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Been having runny nose and itchy eyes.  Fexofenadrine 180 mg and OcuSoft, both recommended by the opthamologist helped but still had some eye inflammation.  Need to have cataract surgery, but the doctor doesn't want to do it until my eye inflammation goes away.  Went to Bangkok for a week and stayed in an older hotel that had old carpeting, mold in the bathroom, etc.  Not the cleanest place, but still the eye inflammation and runny nose clearer up within two days.

I guess the eye doctor is right.  It's a cat allergy.  Not getting rid of them and they can't "go outside" as the doctor suggested since we live in a condo.  I guess I'll just stay in a hotel for a few days before my next eye appointment and see if my eyes are clear enough for the doctor to accept me for cataract surgery and I'll stay in a hotel before and after the procedure.

The Fenafex doesn't do anything for my eyes. For me works well on skin allergies but eyes and sneezing no. Cetrazine the best for that but puts me in a half coma. others say causes no drowsiness at all. But you can't take both. Per the other posters recommendation I use a saline type eye wash with an eye bath in the morning (not tap water) and the Naphcon A. Had suffered for 2 months and went away that day. Try the Cetrazine you might have better luck along with the Naphcon   

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

Do you have a great Eye Surgeon in BKK that you traveled to?

Recommend?

Or having it done in CM and I misunderstood?

Edited by JimmyJ

I have found that the big 3 antihistamines that you mention (Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin) don't always handle my allergies.

I have found that old school antihistamine "chlorpheniramine maleate" sometimes works better.

The big advantage of the 3 mentioned are that they are 24 hour pills and chlorpheniramine maleate is only 4 hours but it works sometimes when the others don't relieve my symptoms.

My allergic reaction is not itchy eyes but nasal congestion and coughing so YMMV.

Chlorpheniramine maleate is inexpensive and has minimal side-effects in my experience, so maybe it would be worth a try for you.