Airline booking. Wording.

overherebc

IF booking for two people and you are quoted a price of $500 for all passengers would mean the ticket is $250 each... 

That what it is supposed to mean if we are being pedantic about the ‘English’... However, these websites are commonly misleading, sometimes I think they are deliberately misleading to ‘suck us in’... (perhaps they are).... 

One thing is for sure.... We ‘double and triple check’ the prices early on before wasting and committing any time to such websites. 

Thus: when searching sites such as skyscanner, instead of running a search for 3 people etc, I run a search for 1 person to remove any potential ambiguity. 

• Like 2

If online, it means the price for the number of passengers you entered in the booking form. “All” can be “1” if that’s what you entered in the booking form.  Assuming you entered “2” though, it is for two people.

The following seems too obvious to say, but one person’s obvious is another person’s surprise, so…

However, cost of outward journey, outward and return journey and (some or all, depending on system) taxes/fees are usually added at three separate stages of the process and any prices are still only an estimate, not an offer, until you get to the pre-payment/ payment stage where the system should automatically hold the bookings for you at that price for a short time.

Most airlines show one price for one passenger

they may show combined for number of passengers, but read the page or check the filter settings 

29 GBP

total 57 

image.png.00ffac6e0cdd174d314fcbd94c06fed9.png

1 hour ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

If online, it means the price for the number of passengers you entered in the booking form. “All” can be “1” if that’s what you entered in the booking form.  Assuming you entered “2” though, it is for two people.

The following seems too obvious to say, but one person’s obvious is another person’s surprise, so…

However, cost of outward journey, outward and return journey and (some or all, depending on system) taxes/fees are usually added at three separate stages of the process and any prices are still only an estimate, not an offer, until you get to the pre-payment/ payment stage where the system should automatically hold the bookings for you at that price for a short time.

It's for 1 passenger no matter how many you 'click' on.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

It's for 1 passenger no matter how many you 'click' on.

Oh, is that an aggregator site? Good to know! If they are looking for you to book through them that’s misleading to put it politely.

I never use those sites except Google to get a very rough comparison. Maybe they are reacting to Google, who do the same but do not say “all passengers” and don’t ask for any personal data - unless you book through them I suppose. I always assumed # of passengers in their case was simply to check availability on that flight and at that price.  But I always found all these sites unreliable - it’s been 50-50 whether the price quoted is actually available from the airline and I don’t really trust them in case I need to change or add/ subtract extras later, or the flight is cancelled or re-routed. I find my flight and book through the airline. Maybe I am missing a trick.

7 minutes ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

Oh, is that an aggregator site? Good to know! If they are looking for you to book through them that’s misleading to put it politely.

I never use those sites except Google to get a very rough comparison. Maybe they are reacting to Google, who do the same but do not say “all passengers” and don’t ask for any personal data - unless you book through them I suppose. I always assumed # of passengers in their case was simply to check availability on that flight and at that price.  But I always found all these sites unreliable - it’s been 50-50 whether the price quoted is actually available from the airline and I don’t really trust them in case I need to change or add/ subtract extras later, or the flight is cancelled or re-routed. I find my flight and book through the airline. Maybe I am missing a trick.

I always book direct with the airline.

Last cancellation, due to Wuhuflu, had fare and air miles returned in about two weeks.

Friends who used agents and travel companies ended up with either FA or minimum cash back.

Edited by overherebc