Toyota service intervals

PJ71

24 minutes ago, bolt said:

ALL vehicles have different stages of servicing

for example in the 1st 5 years they have a higher level, say every 5,000km-10,000km

after they have reached 5 years the serving ratio gets longer.

so to summarise

new 1st 5 years get serviced every 6 months.

then 5 years get recommended service every 12 months

they also estimate the average vehicle will travel 12,000 Km per year.

so even though old and new vehicles travel the same estimated distance per year, the level of servicing is different, its most related to liability with the manufactures.

So instead of saying 'do servicing at 6/12 months', why not, as Toyota say, service at certain kilometerages (don't have miles in Thailand), or a certain time, WHICH EVER COMES FIRST.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, bolt said:

if your warranty has expired its up to you, I'd say 6 or 12 months

do you want to sell it later or run it in too the ground ?

he is doing 1000km a week.

oil changes at 25,000/52,000 is a great way to kill an engine.

In my daily I do 1000km a week and it is serviced at the dealership 10k/6 months which ever comes first warranty.

I also do oil and filter myself every 5,000km.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 8:05 PM, Tuvoc said:

If you're a high-mileage driver then I do think 10,000km is not necessary. For us that would mean an oil change every 2-3 months.  We have stuck to that sometimes, but other times we've gone to 15,000km which I think is totally fine.

Totally fine at 15,000..... I assume you have sent oil samples to be tested.

Or is "totally fine" just a guess ?

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So instead of saying 'do servicing at 6/12 months', why not, as Toyota say, service at certain kilometerages (don't have miles in Thailand), or a certain time, WHICH EVER COMES FIRST.

my Toyota service sticker say both XKM or months (whichever comes 1st)

its actually based on KM, but they limit the duration in case some smarty uses 9,999km and then doesn't bring it in for 20 months

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

An educated guess based on the fact that other manufacturers go this long and even much longer. And that the engine is running nicely at close to 160k km now. But yes I can't see inside the engine to determine exactly what state it is in, other than being confident about it. I see Toyota put some sort of engines flush through it at one service, must be part of their service schedules at certain points to keep the engine clean. On the one hand I hate it that they leave you with the empty oil containers to throw away yourself, but happy on the other hand because I wouldn't have known that they did this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

An educated guess based on the fact that other manufacturers go this long and even much longer. And that the engine is running nicely at close to 160k km now. But yes I can't see inside the engine to determine exactly what state it is in, other than being confident about it. I see Toyota put some sort of engines flush through it at one service, must be part of their service schedules at certain points to keep the engine clean. On the one hand I hate it that they leave you with the empty oil containers to throw away yourself, but happy on the other hand because I wouldn't have known that they did this.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Depending on what engine he has he can safely go 15,000 miles ( 24,000 kilo's)  on full synthetic oil before changing.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

he is doing 1000km a week.

oil changes at 25,000/52,000 is a great way to kill an engine.

In my daily I do 1000km a week and it is serviced at the dealership 10k/6 months which ever comes first warranty.

I also do oil and filter myself every 5,000km.

Why is Thailand so special? On my Norwegian car I do 30K or every 12 months, and here in Thailand, I will change my intervals from 10K or every 6 months as quick my guarantee is up to once a year. 

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Why is Thailand so special? On my Norwegian car I do 30K or every 12 months, and here in Thailand, I will change my intervals from 10K or every 6 months as quick my guarantee is up to once a year. 

Why the difference between Norway or Thailand may I ask. ? 

6 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Explain how i'm being done when i have an itemised bill each time?

You suggesting they're doing unecessary changes?

When Toyota do my 5k service should be 10k. They change the oil with Toyota oil 8lt of Full Syn: Change the Eng: Filter. Clean or replace the A/C filter grease prop, and give the car a full look over. That includes taking the wheels off and clean and check brakes. Cost is always under 2.300BHT + more if I replace the A/C filter. That's what they do for a 10k service. So how comes you pay 5/6k??? Question do you live in Pattaya cos Toyota there always overcharge Non Thais.   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

When Toyota do my 5k service should be 10k. They change the oil with Toyota oil 8lt of Full Syn: Change the Eng: Filter. Clean or replace the A/C filter grease prop, and give the car a full look over. That includes taking the wheels off and clean and check brakes. Cost is always under 2.300BHT + more if I replace the A/C filter. That's what they do for a 10k service. So how comes you pay 5/6k??? Question do you live in Pattaya cos Toyota there always overcharge Non Thais.   

No mate i live central Thailand, i'll need to check my receipts, maybe i don't pay as much as 5-6K.

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's time and temperature that gets them, even if it sits there unused - those tires will need changing.

I got about 7 years out of them before changing them.

That's what I'm estimating my tires. Tuna was 5 year old in April, so next year when they get to 6 years old. If they look fine I might push it to 6.5. Toyota has quoted me 29K for four. But I can get 20" rim Dunlop cheaper than that in my local tire garage. 

18 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

No mate i live central Thailand, i'll need to check my receipts, maybe i don't pay as much as 5-6K.

I would suggest you do. As I think 5/6 k is well over the top. Hope it came out OK but 2 snaps of my last Toyota Bill. 1st is final cost second list of bits. Sorry don't ask as I can read Thai. But that was a big service where I changed Air filter and A/C filter + all the other bits it come out you will see it's around 2.880 BHT. I tell a lie it was 2.883. 

IMGP0002 (7).JPG

IMGP0003 (8).JPG

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Depending on what engine he has he can safely go 15,000 miles ( 24,000 kilo's)  on full synthetic oil before changing.

2.8 Fortuna diesel (3 yrs old)

Edited by Tuvoc

51 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I would suggest you do. As I think 5/6 k is well over the top. Hope it came out OK but 2 snaps of my last Toyota Bill. 1st is final cost second list of bits. Sorry don't ask as I can read Thai. But that was a big service where I changed Air filter and A/C filter + all the other bits it come out you will see it's around 2.880 BHT. I tell a lie it was 2.883. 

IMGP0002 (7).JPG

IMGP0003 (8).JPG

I thought it was a bit cheap, there is no air filter. The bigger amounts are....

Oil ............................1,445

Oil filter....................200

A/C filter.................430

Tub of grease.......139

Air filter......................?

Lazada cheapy is about 500bht, so a Toyota, I would've thought double that....

28 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I changed syn oil & filter at 15kkm in my 3.0 Vigo, never burned oil, sold at 11.5 years old, it is now 15 years old and still no probs.....????

The Vigo has a timing belt, your 2.8 has a chain, good to keep oil in a good shape. If mine, it would be every 15kkm...

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought it was a bit cheap, there is no air filter. The bigger amounts are....

Oil ............................1,445

Oil filter....................200

A/C filter.................430

Tub of grease.......139

Air filter......................?

Lazada cheapy is about 500bht, so a Toyota, I would've thought double that....

Well I must have changed the air filter the time before. I have so many old bills, and as I don't read Thai I just did my best in replying to a post that said he paid 5/6k BHT for his service. So one was for a tub of grease that must have been for greasing the prop they don't normally charge for that. I'm being done. Thank for the read out anyway. I'll ask next time I'm in Toyota for the A/filter price, but I doubt it's double. Whatever not a bad price for 8 LT of full Syn: oil. I though it would have been more. 

46 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

If it was my vehicle with full synthetic oil doing high kilometers on mostly highway cruise motoring I'd change every 20,000 kilos and change the oil filter at 10,000 and top up loss from removing filter. 

Driving town work start stopping I would change at 15,000 k. 

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Think of it in the same vein as going to your doctor, he draws blood and then runs tests to see what your body is doing.

same for an oil analysis, the results will tell what is happening inside your engine.

excessive diesel in the oil..... your injectors are leaking.

excessive metal in the oil ..... your bearings are getting hammered.

etc etc etc.

Its not rocket science and trust me, you <deleted> an engine and try and claim on warranty.....the first thing the dealership will do is have the oil tested looking for reasons to void a claim.

oil analysis benefits.

An interesting read, they quote miles so just multiply by 1.6 for Km before you send off your oil to be tested.....????

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/oil-change-truths/#:~:text=Davis says that educated drivers,more frequent changes or not.

• 2 weeks later...

So many opinions on this. I read several pages of a forum recently, where an "expert" was saying that too frequent oil changes are bad for the engine in fact. He said that because new engine oil has quite high detergent levels, for a while after an oil change the engine wear is higher than usual. Once the detergent content gets lower, engine wear is reduced or back to normal. So therefore constantly doing frequent oil changes means the engine is wearing faster. I cannot comment on the validity of those claims, but he was advocating longer intervals as best for the engine in most cases. As always, depends on your usage and there must be a happy medium. The manufacturer's recommendation is the starting point, to modify if you feel needed.