Toyota service intervals

PJ71

4 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

We used to get approximately 24,000 miles between services for our E-Class Mercedes. Because the service interval indicator used to extend according to your driving behaviour and we were sat on motorways at 70 miles per hour most of the time.

The local dealerships, which had spent so much money on their shiny glass and metal showrooms complained to Mercedes that people were not bringing their vehicles in for servicing as often.

Mercedes then capped it at 16,000 miles.

You can run a car further than the service intervals suggest. This was corroborated by the CEO of Castrol oil, who said oil these days can run a lot further.

I am intrigued to know why Thailand service intervals are so much shorter, is it due to the extreme heat?

Wait for Kwasaki to answer, he knows everything.......

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

We used to get approximately 24,000 miles between services for our E-Class Mercedes. 

I am intrigued to know why Thailand service intervals are so much shorter, is it due to the extreme heat?

No it's due to wanted to screw and scare people who have no idea about the mechanics and workings of modern engines and oils. 

What's funny is people get upset if you tell em the truth about them spending more money than they need to.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you're a high-mileage driver then I do think 10,000km is not necessary. For us that would mean an oil change every 2-3 months.  We have stuck to that sometimes, but other times we've gone to 15,000km which I think is totally fine. For what it costs, if it was me I'd probably do the 10k, but trying to convince my wife to do that is extremely difficult. You know what most Thais are like with car maintenance...  Not sure what mileage we are at now, I've been away and recently returned. We bought new and it is probably close to 160k now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:15 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

We used to get approximately 24,000 miles between services for our E-Class Mercedes. Because the service interval indicator used to extend according to your driving behaviour and we were sat on motorways at 70 miles per hour most of the time.

The local dealerships, which had spent so much money on their shiny glass and metal showrooms complained to Mercedes that people were not bringing their vehicles in for servicing as often.

Mercedes then capped it at 16,000 miles.

You can run a car further than the service intervals suggest. This was corroborated by the CEO of Castrol oil, who said oil these days can run a lot further.

I don't know about the extreme heat we get here is why Toyota recommend 10k service. I do low Millage around 10K km per year. So get it service at 5k KM or 6 months. Cheap as chips, always less than 2.400BHT for 8lt Toyota Full syn: Oil and filter, grease prop and general check. Last time 55k KM they took all the wheels off and did a brake clean and re-grease for free. Will the Syn: oil last longer??? but the filter wont. So better to stick the the recommended service times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

I don't know about the extreme heat we get here is why Toyota recommend 10k service. I do low Millage around 10K km per year. So get it service at 5k KM or 6 months. Cheap as chips, always less than 2.400BHT for 8lt Toyota Full syn: Oil and filter, grease prop and general check. Last time 55k KM they took all the wheels off and did a brake clean and re-grease for free. Will the Syn: oil last longer??? but the filter wont. So better to stick the the recommended service times. 

My services are about 5-6K for a Fortuner.

Thanks for the feedback.

On 6/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, Golden Triangle said:

When ours was new we followed the manufacturer's guidelines, then after the warranty expired we moved to 6 monthly, now at close to 8 years we just get it serviced annually, everything, all fluids and things like brake pads & stuff get done every December. 

No matter what distance you have driven in that year?

New brake pads every year? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Last time 55k KM they took all the wheels off and did a brake clean and re-grease for free.

I take my Vigo at every 10k km and each time they take all the wheels off, clean it all, grease whatever needs greasing, and rotate the wheels when putting back on. It is NOT for free, it's included in the price.

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yep.

Not the cleverest way to maintain your vehicle.

A bit like saying you have a shower every Friday whether you need one or not.   555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

My vehicle, up to me.

Inded, I bought a Vios 9 years ago and it's never been back to the dealership.

I've changed the oil a few times, changed the tires and fitted a slightly different battery at one point.

It's done 20,000 km in that 9 years, still looks like new and I've never had a problem with it - but as you can see from the mileage I don't really use it that much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I've changed the oil a few times, changed the tires and fitted a slightly different battery at one point.

It's done 20,000 km in that 9 years, still looks like new and I've never had a problem with it - but as you can see from the mileage I don't really use it that much.

Changed the tyres below 20,000 km?

My Vigo is 10 years old, done 220,000 km. Been to Toyota for every service ON TIME.

I too, like your Vios,  have never had a problem with it.

• Like 1

I think the 10kkm service is a bit OTT, all they do is look around stuff for probs, brush this and that, and rarely find anything, unless its an OTT, OOOOOH, HMMMMMM, kinda thing to earn a few quid.

My Vigo had synthetic oil most of its life, which I sold at 11.5 years old in excellent condition.

Oil changed at 15kkm. Auto fluid changed twice, brake fluid twice, axle and 4x4 box twice, power steering fluid once during that time. 

Though I do change the oil a bit earlier on our weeee runaround, small engine doing a bit more work, but as it only takes 3 ltr of oil, I can get 3 ltr of Synthetic 0w-20 + filter for around 900bht at B-Quik.

Brakes etc I do myself, CVT fluid change at Suzuki, just insurance..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Only just run in. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Changed the tyres below 20,000 km?

Yep, they needed changing, something to do with heat related damage I believe.

I don't service it but I have someone keep an eye on it every now and again.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, KannikaP said:

No matter what distance you have driven in that year?

New brake pads every year? 

I have had my Toyota Tuna TRD for over 5 years it's done coming up to 60k KM from new and The brakes pads an all 4 discs still have 75% life left in them. Must be the way you drive.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 6:04 PM, ukrules said:

Yep, they needed changing, something to do with heat related damage I believe.

I don't service it but I have someone keep an eye on it every now and again.

My Toyota Tuna is over 5 years old done coming up to 60k and there's loads of life left on my tires. Might have to change them next year more than likely in the 70K KM range. But might even get to 80k+ KM.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, PJ71 said:

My services are about 5-6K for a Fortuner.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have my Tuna serviced at Toyota Kamphaeng Phet and they always charge 2.300kBHT for 8lt syn: oil and filter. Comes to a few hundred more if I change the A/C filter. The most I have been charged was still under 3k BHT that's when I changed the A/C and air filter. As well as the oil and engine filter. Sorry but your being done.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

My Toyota Tuna is over 5 years old done coming up to 60k and there's loads of life left on my tires. Might have to change them next year more than likely in the 70K KM range. But might even get to 80k+ KM.

It's time and temperature that gets them, even if it sits there unused - those tires will need changing.

I got about 7 years out of them before changing them.

Edited by ukrules

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's time and temperature that gets them, even if it sits there unused - those tires will need changing.

I got about 7 years out of them before changing them.

You could keep them up to 10 years if there's no cracking on the side walls. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I change my first set at 80K then 2nd set at 140K.

Could have maybe squeezed a few more km but at only 25K why take the risk.

12 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Explain how i'm being done when i have an itemised bill each time?

You suggesting they're doing unecessary changes?

You're not if you are paying for a proper service, which includes Genuine Toyota items, such as recommended oil, oil filter, induction air filter, cabin filter etc replacements...????

Of course the internet is full of cheap Chinese copies to save money, but it is the norm at Toyota to provide the replaced items packaging for your peace of mind...???? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, transam said:

You're not if you are paying for a proper service, which includes Genuine Toyota items, such as recommended oil, oil filter, induction air filter, cabin filter etc replacements...????

Of course the internet is full of cheap Chinese copies to save money, but it is the norm at Toyota to provide the replaced items packaging for your peace of mind...???? 

Packaging is the thing Toyota just the same as say Volvo they get there parts from many places China included even some the steel they use is Chinese.

There are 4 Toyota plants in China. 

They get a lot of stuff from America too.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Packaging is the thing Toyota just the same as say Volvo they get there parts from many places China included even some the steel they use is Chinese.

There are 4 Toyota plants in China. 

They get a lot of stuff from America too.

You can buy an air filter for near any ride on Lazada for silly money, made in China, you can buy a genuine brand air filter that maybe made in China in that brand packaging, but, it will be made to that brand's specifications....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, transam said:

You can buy an air filter for near any ride on Lazada for silly money, made in China, you can buy a genuine brand air filter that maybe made in China in that brand packaging, but, it will be made to that brand's specifications....

That's right but still cheap. ????

ALL vehicles have different stages of servicing

for example in the 1st 5 years they have a higher level, say every 5,000km-10,000km

after they have reached 5 years the serving ratio gets longer.

so to summarise

new 1st 5 years get serviced every 6 months.

then 5 years get recommended service every 12 months

they also estimate the average vehicle will travel 12,000 Km per year.

so even though old and new vehicles travel the same estimated distance per year, the level of servicing is different, its most related to liability with the manufactures.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bolt said:

ALL vehicles have different stages of servicing

for example in the 1st 5 years they have a higher level, say every 5,000km-10,000km

after they have reached 5 years the serving ratio gets longer.

so to summarise

new 1st 5 years get serviced every 6 months.

then 5 years get recommended service every 12 months

they also estimate the average vehicle will travel 12,000 Km per year.

so even though old and new vehicles travel the same estimated distance per year, the level of servicing is different, its most related to liability with the manufactures.

Not talking silly kilos a car nowadays in UK travelling 10.000 miles to 15,000 miles is considered average mileage. 

A car with 100,000 miles on it in good condition will still have a lot life in the engine. 

20 years ago we had a 2•0 ltr Cavalier auto which we kept as a spare car with 220,000 miles on it and still going sweet. 

Edited by Kwasaki

On 6/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, howerde said:

My Toyota service interval is 10 000km or 6 months which ever is earlier. i have 30 000km on it over last year, i stick to service interval (cost i think about 5000 baht ), i have a 5 year warranty on the car 2 years parts and labour  and 3 years labour, i do not want Toyota wriggling out of any claims by saying you have not had it serviced in accordance with the manual.

well said I do same with my triton.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not talking silly kilos a car nowadays in UK travelling 10.000 miles to 15,000 miles is considered average mileage. 

A car with 100,000 miles on it in good condition will still have a lot life in the engine. 

20 years ago we had a 2•0 ltr Cavalier auto which we kept as a spare car with 220,000 miles on it and still going sweet. 

my Toyota is now 6 years old we have 68k on the clock, I like to take it to Toyota dealer once a year.

it costs a wee bit more but not an issue just now.

I expect to change it over to a newer once i stop work, so probably another 4-7 years for now

then the last car will be run to the ground 

• Like 1