Toyota service intervals

PJ71

In europe they go with longer intervals, 15,000km or 9000miles but in the US they are often 5000 miles which works out to to only around 8000km

in this weather and traffic, plus dirtier fuel I'd say it's just about right

• Like 2

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

In europe they go with longer intervals, 15,000km or 9000miles but in the US they are often 5000 miles which works out to to only around 8000km

in this weather and traffic, plus dirtier fuel I'd say it's just about right

Thanks for your input.

Yes Toyota every 6 Months or 10,000 Kms, but works both ways too, mine does so little kms, 18 Months old now and only done 6,000 Kms but on the 30,000 Km service Schedule . . . . 
Nothing i can do about it if i want to retain the warranty though . . . 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Thanks.

My vehicle is 5 years old with 160K on it, no warranty, never had any issues with it at all just thought 10K maybe a bit frequent but perhaps not....

if your warranty has expired its up to you, I'd say 6 or 12 months

do you want to sell it later or run it in too the ground ?

Depends on the age of the vehicle. I have my 2006 Toyota Vios serviced every 5000 km by an independent mechanic, who keeps it running smoothly.

It also depends on the oils being used in servicing, full synthetics last longer than a petroleum based oil with additives.

10,000 km IMO is a reasonable service interval, I don't take any notice of time recommendations. Those are just to assist the bottom line of service operations.

• Like 1

If it's 5,000 baht then I would get it done. I have a fleet of Mercedes in the UK and they were laid up in the pandemic, Mercedes have turned around and told me the 3-year unlimited mileage warranty is null and void because I didn't get the cars serviced when they were sat there stationary ????

Manufacturers will wiggle out of any warranty if they can

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

If it's 5,000 baht then I would get it done. I have a fleet of Mercedes in the UK and they were laid up in the pandemic, Mercedes have turned around and told me the 3-year unlimited mileage warranty is null and void because I didn't get the cars serviced when they were sat there stationary ????

Manufacturers will wiggle out of any warranty if they can

That wouldn't bother me throughout my life with new cars never had a warranty problem maybe an odd recall for checking things out. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:48 PM, Lacessit said:

Depends on the age of the vehicle. I have my 2006 Toyota Vios serviced every 5000 km by an independent mechanic, who keeps it running smoothly.

It also depends on the oils being used in servicing, full synthetics last longer than a petroleum based oil with additives.

10,000 km IMO is a reasonable service interval, I don't take any notice of time recommendations. Those are just to assist the bottom line of service operations.

A bit of a sore subject right now , my Vios is about a 2006 model , the yellow light came on a couple of days ago , you know the one , little yellow engine warning.  The independent mechanic that always looks after the car could find nothing wrong , he plugged in his computer gubbinz could find no fault , took it round the block and said car is ok.  Today in about an hour we are going to Chiang Rai in it , 'er indoors is very worried of course as they always do.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

A bit of a sore subject right now , my Vios is about a 2006 model , the yellow light came on a couple of days ago , you know the one , little yellow engine warning.  The independent mechanic that always looks after the car could find nothing wrong , he plugged in his computer gubbinz could find no fault , took it round the block and said car is ok.  Today in about an hour we are going to Chiang Rai in it , 'er indoors is very worried of course as they always do.

I have had the same problem, the easy fix is to disconnect the battery for a minute. When it is reconnected, the ECU chip resets itself. Sometimes it would go away while I was driving.

I have not had the problem for years, not sure if my mechanic installed a new ECU. My car never broke down while that yellow light was on, if that's any comfort.

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Probably nothing more than a faulty sensor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I think yellow warning lights are like maybe something needs fixing and it may be expensive if not done. Red warning lights mean it's more imminent and it's going to be expensive either way.

Take the bulbs out, no worries. ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have had the same problem, the easy fix is to disconnect the battery for a minute. When it is reconnected, the ECU chip resets itself. Sometimes it would go away while I was driving.

I have not had the problem for years, not sure if my mechanic installed a new ECU. My car never broke down while that yellow light was on, if that's any comfort.

Thanks Lacessit , going outside right now to disconect the battery.  Went to Big c in Chaingers and no problem. Wife is still full of doom and gloom and says it should go in tomorrow ....AGAIN !

48 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't worry about Toyotas recommendations, just ignore them.  Cars with a relatively high mileage being put on them do not need regular servicing, make sure that you don't ever check the oil or water levels, either. 

Letting your tyre pressures gradually reduce by not checking them, either, will make your 1000km per week journeys more and more comfortable over time also.

Ok - thanks, all great ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PJ71 said:
54 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't worry about Toyotas recommendations, just ignore them.  Cars with a relatively high mileage being put on them do not need regular servicing, make sure that you don't ever check the oil or water levels, either. 

Letting your tyre pressures gradually reduce by not checking them, either, will make your 1000km per week journeys more and more comfortable over time also.

Expand  

No problem!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

It's somewhat true what he has written Toyota truck can do very high mileage even with neglect that often goes with it most of the the time. 

With modern technology and oils used today Toyota trucks are pretty much bulletproof that's why terrorists use em. ????

• Haha 1

The very cheap labour costs here in Thailand using the Toyota main dealer network just does'nt imo justify me messing around with servicing/repair of my car or ignoring their advice re 10K kms/6 months service intervals.

They service my Fortuner every 6 months and the peanuts they charge they are welcome to it, a frequent change of oil is very good for the longevity of the engine.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

The very cheap labour costs here in Thailand using the Toyota main dealer network just does'nt imo justify me messing around with servicing/repair of my car or ignoring their advice re 10K kms/6 months service intervals.

They service my Fortuner every 6 months and the peanuts they charge they are welcome to it, a frequent change of oil is very good for the longevity of the engine.  

It's really a case of you doing what you want and are happy with.

The OP wants to save peanut money if he can and he surely can do that whether he trust my advice or yours is up to him. 

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It's really a case of you doing what you want and are happy with.

The OP wants to save peanut money if he can and he surely can do that whether he trust my advice or yours is up to him. 

The OP infact does n't care about the peanut money, the question was is it necesarry, did you miss that bit?

There's been a good broad range of replies with only a few smart a**e respones like yours, which might be expected.

15 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

The OP infact does n't care about the peanut money, the question was is it necesarry, did you miss that bit?

There's been a good broad range of replies with only a few smart a**e respones like yours, which might be expected.

You said peanuts money you obviously have no idea about service intervals for vehicles.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You said peanuts money you obviously have no idea about service intervals for vehicles.

You are correct, i have no idea about service intervals, that why i asked.....duh!

We used to get approximately 24,000 miles between services for our E-Class Mercedes. Because the service interval indicator used to extend according to your driving behaviour and we were sat on motorways at 70 miles per hour most of the time.

The local dealerships, which had spent so much money on their shiny glass and metal showrooms complained to Mercedes that people were not bringing their vehicles in for servicing as often.

Mercedes then capped it at 16,000 miles.

You can run a car further than the service intervals suggest. This was corroborated by the CEO of Castrol oil, who said oil these days can run a lot further.

I am intrigued to know why Thailand service intervals are so much shorter, is it due to the extreme heat?