Delivery rider in tears after apparent food hoax - but there's a happy ending

webfact

Using a UK credit card with FoodPanda...no issues and consistently good service in Bangkok. The one time they were excessively late, emailed me a 50 baht voucher, unprompted. 

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Prepayment is the only way to go….also lazada could learn a few things about fiscal responsibility…to customer pay in cash upon delivery is beyond stupid….

the tech is there - use it 

Why is COD stupid? I won't by anything on Lazada that isn't COD so I can check that I'm getting what I paid for. If you prefer to prepay and hope for the best up to you. Also the tech is there - use it. I shop at Makro with cash in hand but have to wait up to 5 mins for those in front of me that pay with their phones. Cash will always be king

Edited by Dumbfounded
  • Like 2

To those who pay cash and think they are faster... I have my doubts.

When I use a CC or prompt, it takes seconds. What takes maybe an equivalent or longer time is printing out the receipts, but that is true with cash as well.

Now, if you pay cash, either you count all the baht and satangs, or you hand out big bills and let the cashier count the change. Takes time too.

There will always be slower people with one method or the other, but they are usually the minority.

But, back to topic,  it should be possible for the police or the Grab company to trace back those who placed the "hoax" order and make them cry - instead of the poor delivery rider.

22 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Making the delivery drivers pay for customer mistakes and hoaxes is really low... but not surprising for corporations... squeeze the workers so the share holders get more. 

Very prevalent in Thailand.... it extends beyond corporations down to small bars and restaurants. 

When I use a CC or prompt, it takes seconds.

Thai credit cards are notoriously slow to authorize - quite often in stores they'll start serve the next customer whilst waiting for some Thai platinum gold blah to authorize, local debit cards and international credit/debit cards seem to take standard few seconds or less. The real delay is the telephone number collection, Thai will insist of sharing it with the cashier or number pad thing even if purchasing a pack of 10baht mama noodles. 

Edited by mnomad

I see two sides to this situation:

While very wrong, perhaps this was done by one of the thousands of other people on the road who finally got sick and tired of the near-collisions the food riders cause every day with their complete disregard for the safety of anyone else on the road, and decided on a little pay-back.  Is there anyone who has not been cut off, forced to the side, or almost hit by the unsafe driving by a large percentage of these delivery riders?

While no one should have to pay out of pocket in a situation where the rider is just trying to make a living, by the same token, a rider should not be allowed to endanger the lives of others while making that living.

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I see two sides to this situation:

While very wrong, perhaps this was done by one of the thousands of other people on the road who finally got sick and tired of the near-collisions the food riders cause every day with their complete disregard for the safety of anyone else on the road, and decided on a little pay-back.  Is there anyone who has not been cut off, forced to the side, or almost hit by the unsafe driving by a large percentage of these delivery riders?

While no one should have to pay out of pocket in a situation where the rider is just trying to make a living, by the same token, a rider should not be allowed to endanger the lives of others while making that living.

An 80 year old friend was recently knocked down by a Grab rider while crossing a road. The driver did stop, but his insurance would only pay maximum 30,000 baht. His first day hospital bill was 32,000 baht. Lucky that he still has some baht in the bank.

Grab should be responsible for insuring their drivers for an adequate amount - 30,000 baht just doesn't do that.

15 hours ago, Dumbfounded said:

Why is COD stupid? I won't by anything on Lazada that isn't COD so I can check that I'm getting what I paid for. If you prefer to prepay and hope for the best up to you. Also the tech is there - use it. I shop at Makro with cash in hand but have to wait up to 5 mins for those in front of me that pay with their phones. Cash will always be king

Even with COD ... you cannot open the parcel until the payment is handed over so you still could end up with the wrong or faulty product. 

Few years back I remember a story out in the provinces, of a lady who got an order for several hundred boxed lunches to be delivered to a factory, as a reward for the workers. Whoever did the order represented themselves well as part of the company. She gleefully prepared them all, only to arrive at the factory with the truckload which no one had ordered. The order was traced back to some lady in the village who had a beef with her. Terrible.

This could have turned out really bad but I’m glad it worked out in the end.  I saw an example of how not to treat a food delivery driver in my apartment complex.  

A Grab Driver was waiting in front of my apartment building.  I was going to the pool and I noticed about 15 minutes later he was still waiting for the person who made the order.  Then I saw a woman step out and hand the driver a 500 Baht note.  The food order looked to be under 100 Baht(It was a single plastic bag).  The driver did not have enough change.  For some reason the woman commanded the security guard to find change.  The Security guard as always snapped to it and ran off to the office and then to neighboring businesses.  Ten minutes later the guard came back with the change.  The woman then paid the driver and the driver was now able to give change.  

This driver spent almost 25 minutes to just complete the delivery for this order.  I felt bad for this driver because he had to spend so much time just to complete the delivery.  I always use my bank card for food deliveries and it takes about one to two minutes to hand the food to me. Even when I paid cash I never handed a large bill to the driver.  Times are tough and the cost of gasoline is high, I hope people can be considerate the next time when they order food.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

An 80 year old friend was recently knocked down by a Grab rider while crossing a road. The driver did stop, but his insurance would only pay maximum 30,000 baht. His first day hospital bill was 32,000 baht. Lucky that he still has some baht in the bank.

Grab should be responsible for insuring their drivers for an adequate amount - 30,000 baht just doesn't do that.

30k is only the preliminary compensation from the compulsory insurance. In total they will pay up to 80k baht, your friend just has to submit a claim.

Your friend could sue the rider for any amount exceeding this.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:38 AM, Jerno said:

Mandatory payment upon ordering.  Instant stop to hoaxes.

But here in Samui we had a problem where they were taking orders but then deliveries could be taking an hour or more and stone cold food deivered as they tried to get drivers to wait for various other orders and drive around for other deliveries on the way.  A lot ofpeople booking payment on delivery and cancelling if they could not deliver in a reasonable time seems to have got them to up their game.

Sure the cyber cops could track the perpetrator.

But it's too low profile.

Cardboards would cost more than the actual order...

On another note, i booked an uber, or grab, forgot it, when i had to go to the airport, and almost missed the checkin deadline coz the driver didnt come

Works 2 ways, as mentioned above. Maybe this crying man was an hour late... just dunno

On 6/28/2022 at 9:33 AM, webfact said:

Netizens said that there should be rules in place so that people who turn down orders or who hoax delivery companies are penalized rather than delivery drivers who have to carry the can. 

They must have a phone number of the person placing the order?