How to buy condo if seller not in Bangkok?

I want to buy a condo in Bangkok,  but the owner lives in the south. 

Her son is living in the condo. 

I heard her son can transfer the chanote at the land office using their form Aor Chor 21? Is this correct?

And we would write in the purchase agreement "payment will be made to Mr. Xxx", then i will give her son a bank cheque when transferring the chanote. Is that the best way?

How would I establish that I am dealing with the right persons, anyway? Just by signed copies of their ID cards? If all I have from the owner is a signed copy of her ID card this doesn't seem secure to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated

The son could certainly act as power of attorney for the owner. Using Or Chor 21, which is authority to act on behalf of someone, at the land office.

Its not authority to receive/bank money in their (the person with POA) name. Any payments would still be made to the owner, banked into owners account etc. The  POA would receive a cashiers cheque made out to the owner and bank it into the owners account etc.

If the POA is not in order, and the person represented is not the owner, the land office wont do the transfer.

• Like 1

There must be a way. The agent for a condo I was interested in offered to do all the paperwork, without me or seller even being at the land office. I guess power of attorney would be needed, but with that in hand, process would likely be the same as if seller and buyer were present. The reason I can't tell you more is because I didn't trust that agent, so I bailed out and bought another unit.

When I bought my condo in Jomtien, the seller was in Canada. I let the agent handle everything, just had a lawyer quickly review the contract. Arranging to have my electricity bills auto debited to my bank account was far more complicated. I was no doubt stupid, but I still seem to own the place.

I was in a similar situation when I bought mine (Seller in the South). Made them fly to Bangkok - if they wanted rid of the property then a 1500 baht flight shouldn't be a problem at all and would save a lot of headache with power of attorneys, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pazienza said:

I was in a similar situation when I bought mine (Seller in the South). Made them fly to Bangkok - if they wanted rid of the property then a 1500 baht flight shouldn't be a problem at all and would save a lot of headache with power of attorneys, etc.

I am  thinking the same.

I would be willing to pay the flight. 

If the owner is too old and fragile to travel, I might fly there myself (Surat Thani city) to get her signatures under purchase agreement and Aor Chor 21.