DIN rail mount toggle switches

carlyai

Anyone use these for on/off light switches?

Don't seem very popular, even though they have DIN 3 pin power outlets now.

I'm building up an outside pump box and thought I'd include some DIN mounted on/off switches for lights that are now only controlled by circuit breakers (first electrician's work).

I see Amazon says they have some but 'not in stock'. 

Maybe the toggle switches are not suitable for DIN mounting and 'push button' types would be better?

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If I really needed a switch in a DIN box I'd probably just use an MCB.

Most are rated for several thousand switching operations.

They are controlled by MCB now, but the electrician did a horrible job and they are outside driveway metal lights with no earth wire. Just thinking of changing it now with the new waterproof box for my pump control box. 

More thinking required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Yes I did see some advertised on RS. Will keep it in mind. Thanks.

I remember it being called "Radio Spares", I think they sold cat's whiskers :whistling:

Re-brand was in 1971 ???? 

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I remember it being called "Radio Spares", I think they sold cat's whiskers :whistling:

Yes I remember morely. Had then in Aus to. My cat's whisker didn't work. Could have been something to do with the metal box.

Re-thinking about light switches inside my DIN box and bad idea. Wouldn't want fingers wandering around inside this box looking for a light switch. It will be safer with the relay cover, terminal strip cover and Intelligent Pump box cover installed. But ....

20220629_163927.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yes. They used to sell parts for home hobyist radio builders. The catalogue must have been 3" x 8" and about 20 pages.

I stopped using them when they got more expensive than pretty well everyone else. However, their delivery speed is/was second to none. 

Also they have the annoying habit of re-branding their products.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Yes. They used to sell parts for home hobyist radio builders. The catalogue must have been 3" x 8" and about 20 pages.

I stopped using them when they got more expensive than pretty well everyone else. However, their delivery speed is/was second to none. 

Also they have the annoying habit of re-branding their products.

The thing with them is that though the items are higher priced they are not expensive just higher quality. Naturally you can set similar but lower quality cheaper.

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The thing with them is that though the items are higher priced they are not expensive just higher quality. Naturally you can set similar but lower quality cheaper.

This is true but many of the companies I was involved with wouldn't touch them with a barge pole because of traceability issues.

Mind you though, these companies had very demanding specs. and unlimited fund chests. A bit like some bar girls I would imagine.

• Haha 2

We used the RS Trade Counter in Hong Kong regularly to support our installation work on the Lantau and Airport Railway, they were convenient and had stuff in-stock (we also had an account so no messing around with cash and expenses claims).

The lady behind the counter ("Mavis" IIRC) was also rather cute and was taken to dinner several times by at least one of the crew ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Lantau and Airport Railway

I did some work on the track-side to train TV laser link for that railway. The company was in Abertillery South Wales and they made laser diode assemblies sold by RS.

I often wondered if it ever got installed