First time in Phuket since 2017 - no thanks!

simon43

On 7/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, simon43 said:

Well, I was in Kanchanaburi, and it was very nice and peaceful, good for a quiet life alone that I normally enjoy.

However, some of you might know that my 18 year old Thai niece recently died from HIV/TB.  I cared for her night and day for several weeks in hospital, until she finally died in my arms.  I knew her and helped to look after her and her sister in Phuket since she was 3 years old.  Her death hit me rather hard ????.

I decided to return and live in Pattaya for the time-being, where I am close to other people, social activities etc. Living alone in a rural location with too much time for thinking etc is probably not a good idea right now.  I always like Pattaya a lot, because it has a range of shops, facilities, people-watching etc, but is not so good for my radio amateur hobby.  But I found a top-floor condo literally on the roof of a building, with a largish (40sm) open patio where I can install some vertical antennas and weather satellite antennas etc.

So I started off in Pattaya, then went to Chachoengsao, Khao Lak, Samui, Phuket, Kanchanaburi and back to Pattaya!!

Sorry to hear about Niece’s demise. My sincere condolences!!  Is this same niece you mentioned in another post that you were looking for a condo for the 2 of you ? I had sent you a PM with info.  If this question is too personal ignor it and I apoligise but most people no longer pass from HIV or have it progrees to AID's  unless they don't get on anti -viral meds.  Magic Johnson has been living with it for over 20 years. Did she not want to take meds or waited too long for diagnosis?

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 6:16 AM, simon43 said:

Well, I was in Kanchanaburi, and it was very nice and peaceful, good for a quiet life alone that I normally enjoy.

However, some of you might know that my 18 year old Thai niece recently died from HIV/TB.  I cared for her night and day for several weeks in hospital, until she finally died in my arms.  I knew her and helped to look after her and her sister in Phuket since she was 3 years old.  Her death hit me rather hard ????.

I decided to return and live in Pattaya for the time-being, where I am close to other people, social activities etc. Living alone in a rural location with too much time for thinking etc is probably not a good idea right now.  I always like Pattaya a lot, because it has a range of shops, facilities, people-watching etc, but is not so good for my radio amateur hobby.  But I found a top-floor condo literally on the roof of a building, with a largish (40sm) open patio where I can install some vertical antennas and weather satellite antennas etc.

So I started off in Pattaya, then went to Chachoengsao, Khao Lak, Samui, Phuket, Kanchanaburi and back to Pattaya!!

Sorry to hear about your niece .

I didn't think that HIV was such a severe illness these days .

Did She not get diagnosed/Treated early ?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sorry to hear about your niece .

I didn't think that HIV was such a severe illness these days .

Did She not get diagnosed/Treated early ?

I'm sure it was TB that caused issues. 

I had a mate that died a few years back, I was told died from TB but heard that he had HIV which no one knew about.

TB isn't a killer these days but combined with HIV it does. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2022 at 11:32 AM, Janney B said:

It isn't really. HIV Treatment is very effective these days. See - https://www.cmmediclinic.com/hiv-treatment-chiang-mai.html

Yes, the treatment is very effective if you start treatment early enough.  If you leave it until HIV has progressed into Aids, and your weakened immune system allows opportunistic infections (TB, pneumonia etc), then the prognosis is poor, (as demonstrated by my niece) ????

• Thanks 1