First time in Phuket since 2017 - no thanks!

simon43

Nice to read your post again Simon43 ...

Should that not be 'my ex-hotel' ... I seem to remember something about that with the lady who now runs it ...?

I've never considered Kanchanaburi for living and it just didn't get on my travel agenda in all those years. Maybe worth a closer look later this year ... 

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I went for a leisurely drive in Mai Khao and Nai Yang localities. to see what has changed since I lived in Phuket previously.

Did  you go anywhere but the north of the island?

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Right now, I'm in Kanchanaburi, a nice town that I previously visited some 15 years ago. 

So now you are in amphur Muang and you are liking it. That is good. Wait until the hot season. ????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, marin said:

So now you are in amphur Muang and you are liking it. That is good. Wait until the hot season. ????

Since I previously lived in Nong Khai, Bueng Kan and Naypyitaw (in the 'hot zone' of Myanmar at 45 degrees in the hot season), I don't see what the problem will be ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

First time in Phuket since 2017 - no thanks

Even the local women did nothing to encourage me to linger

This would be the last straw, can't stay if the chicky babes are doing it for you. 

Come over to Pattaya, lots of beautiful young ladies here. 

Anyway, too many Dodgy people in Phuket. 

We don't have those types here in Pattaya. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marin said:

If they have air conditioning so what. I lived and worked in the Gulf where its hotter and more humid! Extreme weather conditions are irrelevant as long as you are not working. But monsoon are more stress than heat.

Simon seems like a younger version of me, I was a science teacher, electronics was my hobby, particularly Aerial systems and power supplies. I have been married three times, love travelling but no longer physically possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If they have air conditioning so what. I lived and worked in thIne Gulf where its hotter and more humid! Extreme weather conditions are irrelevant as long as you are not working. But monsoon are more stress than heat.

Interesting so was I. 12 years in my youth. For me its a different heat here but I found Saudi dry and here much more humid. The wife is from Kanchanaburi and we go often. But even with land there I would not want to live there. March through to June is simply to hot. 

Simply my opinion, hoping Simon wont move again. 

10 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

The key word is Guest Room!

A mint room with sea view, much more liveable than the 10-20k houses around and available....

Edited by CANSIAM

On 6/29/2022 at 5:44 PM, spidermike007 said:

Phuket and Samui have long been over priced. I left the Southern islands after years of paying higher prices for nearly everything.

So where to now, Pattaya or Hua Hin?

On 6/29/2022 at 8:44 AM, spidermike007 said:

Phuket and Samui have long been over priced. I left the Southern islands after years of paying higher prices for nearly everything. 

And both are now a pale shadow of their former selves. Some would say that is a good thing. I would estimated Samui is about 20% of what it was previously, in terms of nightlife, restaurants, etc. It is going to be a long time until they recover to a significant degree. Many years. 

Samui is massively improved since before the pandemic.

Sure many businesses went bust in the tourist areas such as Chaweng  (which always was a Cess Pit anyway) and Lamai where the restaurants were mostly owned (RENTED) by Wannabe Farangs.

I disagree with the poster above!....I have lived here permanently for over 12 years so I think I am qualified to judge.......The other parts of the island are doing very well and in Maenam for example nothing much has changed. The locals are doing very well in the main.

Long may it last!

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Haha 2

Hi Simon,

you and I met many years back when I was riding the motorcycle around the island selling wine. Agreed, Phuket is definitely "not what it used to be", that being said, no where is.

What you said about Khao Lak, perfect, I like quiet beaches. When I need to see friends in Phuket or get in the party mode, will jump the bus, get a hotel room.

Good call on Kanchanaburi. I spent some time there, loved it. Can imagine a little place near the river, fishing kit, cooler of drinks. Fish on the grill. Enjoy brother, cheers, GOM