Can you transfer fund from paypal to a Thai account yet or on a US bank account still.

I've heard of something called Asia Pay? I think you can send money there via paypal, then transfer to a Thai bank.

Anyone familiar with either.

Thanks

Can you transfer fund from paypal to a Thai account yet or on a US bank account still.

I've heard of something called Asia Pay? I think you can send money there via paypal, then transfer to a Thai bank.

Thanks

Hi,

yes you can open a paypal account and send money straight to your Thai bank account, i must warn you though the exchange rate is criminal, you would probaly be better of paying USD's into your US bank account where your'd get a better exchange rate, maybe 2-3 baht a dollar.

Chris.

Chris is right - I sent $ 100 yesterday to Thailand via Paypal. 50 Baht fee and abad exchange rate, buta lot cheaper than Western Union. Try sending completely filled in travellers' checks by recorded delivery.

Thanks

Hi,

yes you can open a paypal account and send money straight to your Thai bank account, i must warn you though the exchange rate is criminal, you would probaly be better of paying USD's into your US bank account where your'd get a better exchange rate, maybe 2-3 baht a dollar.

Chris.

I can confirm the "criminal" exchange rate of Paypal. You get a better exchange rate with Thaiepay which do basically the same, just one slight difference, they pay out toward your Bank account only on the 10th of each month.

rcm

I emailed Paypal about this and they told me that they are using only a 2.5% ( or similar) amount as a margin (similar to credit cards) but they would not give rates. Also, they cannot accept inward THB payments to fund a Paypal account and they offered no work around for this (there are ways).

They are probablly using the "offshore rate" as opposed to the onshore rate, so that is why it was in the low 30's.

On a seperate tangent, can you actually get cash out of your thai paypal account and move it to your thai account?  Last I remember you couldn't get money out of your paypal account if you were based in thailand.

I emailed Paypal about this and they told me that they are using only a 2.5% ( or similar) amount as a margin (similar to credit cards) but they would not give rates. Also, they cannot accept inward THB payments to fund a Paypal account and they offered no work around for this (there are ways).

Are you saying that a live person actually answered your email? When I moved over here they limited (froze) my account and after a number of emails, I decided that there are no people who work there, only computers. After that I wasn't even able to log into my account to try to explain that I had indeed moved to Thailand. <deleted> paypal now and forever.

Thanks

Yes you can. I have a paypal account connected to my Thai bank account. You can receive funds in USD, Pound Sterling or Euro and keep it in your PayPal Account then transfer it into your Thai Bank account. If your transfer is under 5000 baht there is a 50baht fee - if over 5000 baht, it's free, BUT the exchange rate they're using is the offshore rate e.g: 32.40 baht for 1 USD :-(.

As above. Yes. My paypal has been linked to my Thai bank account for 3 months now.

On top of Paypals commission they have an exchange rate which is quite honestly..........criminal. :o

Example. Last week i received $3200 into my Thai account from Paypal. Paypal converted it to the Thai baht at 31.45 to the dollar. On the very same day my bank ( Kasikorn ) were quoting 34.38. Thats nearly a 10% mark-up for paypal ON TOP of their commisssion.

Screw em. I use Thaipay now.

I use my PayPal debit card at the ATM here. I just checked and the last time I got a rate of 34.18 with a fee of 1 dollar. I can live with that. For large sums I transfer from PayPal to my Schwab account (free) and then from Schwab to my Thai account at a good rate.

I know asiapay. They operate a payment gateway service but we don't use it for paypal payments since we get credits from paypal to our bank. If you want a contact for them PM me.

Slightly off topic a little but does anyone know if you can open a Paypal account in Malaysia, and of course withdraw into a Malaysian bank account ?

I'm a Thai person living in Thailand and I'm planning to open an ebay store soon but still cannot figure out a clear answer about how paypal functions for Thai people. I hear that now paypal supports payment in Thai Baht, but they take a lot of fees for converting the Dollars to Thai baht. According to my research if the actual exchange rate is 35 we will receive about 31-32 Baht per Dollar which is about 10% difference than the normal rate and 50 Baht fee if the money is lesser than 5000 baht. I would like to ask if we can do any other better way. I heard that Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York, if I open a paypal account and let my money go into that account there and then have it transferred myself from there to my Bangkok Bank account here will the rates be better. Any idea from your side will be very helpful

Thank you in advance

I'm a Thai person living in Thailand and I'm planning to open an ebay store soon but still cannot figure out a clear answer about how paypal functions for Thai people. I hear that now paypal supports payment in Thai Baht, but they take a lot of fees for converting the Dollars to Thai baht. According to my research if the actual exchange rate is 35 we will receive about 31-32 Baht per Dollar which is about 10% difference than the normal rate and 50 Baht fee if the money is lesser than 5000 baht. I would like to ask if we can do any other better way. I heard that Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York, if I open a paypal account and let my money go into that account there and then have it transferred myself from there to my Bangkok Bank account here will the rates be better. Any idea from your side will be very helpful

Thank you in advance

Interesting thought I have to say, but im not sure Bangkok bank will not allow you to have a bank account in New York. I cant see them being able to offer banking facilities like you would get here. My feeling is that they would be merely representative offices.

I have a USD$ account in Malaysia but Paypal wont let me withdraw there, they have informed me that I can open a Paypal account but I must have a US account in the US, the words they used was must be on US "soil".

So heres one, is there any other such as Asiapay that would allow me to transfer funds from out of my Paypal into another (i.e. Asiapay), and then allow me to then withdraw into my USD account ? I dont mind paying a fee twice as it seems the scam that Paypal have with the exchange rate from USD to THB it would still be a better option.

Anyone ?

hands off of paypal!

sold once a camera - sent it to the buyer after paypal confirmed the buyer's money is on my account.

hours after the buyer received the camera, paypal sent an email saying that the buyer's money was fraudulent!!!

can you believe it?

they confiscated the whole over 1000 US.

luckily the day before i had transferred half the amount already to my bank from the "paypal account".

then they started threatening me to reimburse that money i got in safety - can you believe it?

hands off of paypal.

you are warned.

They do give you a horrible exchange rate when withdrawing money from a Thai paypal account to Thai bank.

Better (if you are from the US) to sign up for a US account then get the debit card, this will allow you to get the money out of the ATM (using the onshore rate)

As for fraud:

Yes there are tons of con artists out there. I sell electronic (downloadable) products and this is an especially fond target for these people.

The key is make sure customer's have a confirmed address (this means the shipping address they enter matching the billing address for the credit card) - Paypal will tell you if the customer has a confirmed address.

If the address is confirm then you can shipping anything to them (even an empty envelope) and get an online tracking #. Should the transaction be fraudulent just send Paypal the tracking # and you will still get to keep the money under the sellers protection policy.

If the address is unconfirmed and you have ANY doubts about the legitimacy of an order just refund and cancel it.

As for those suggesting to just pull the money out of the account, this is a very poor solution. You will end up with a negative balance, which they will most likely pass on to a collection agency.

(I have had blockbuster send a collection agencies after me for $7 in late fees! so i am pretty sure Paypal will do the same thing, especially if the balance is in the 100s)

Edited by dave111223

Dear All,

We have been for a long time working with a THAI payment gateway

called Thaiepay, which unfortunately does not offer debit card

payments. This is the one and only reason, that we decided to open a

PAYPAL account and also offer this payment opportunity. When a charge

is made using PAYPAL, they are the payment processor and as such they

have your money until they release it to the merchant us. In our

case, they have for no reason locked our account, possibly because we

are in Thailand - I do not know. That means that we cannot retrieve

the funds and neither can we refund the funds. We have sent numerous

emails to PAYPAL asking that they simply refunds the payees, but they

just don't answer.

Having encountered this problem, I have searched the internet to see

if there are similar stories - and there are - thousands infact. It

seems it is common policy for PAYPAL to lock accounts, seize funds

and blame the seller. And when the buyer calls PAYPAL to check what's

going on they are told a blatant lie: that they have indeed given the

seller the funds and that if the seller wants he can easily refund.

This is just not so.

I also encourage you to never ever pay anything with PAYPAL again and

further more to google PAYPAL to see the list of horror stories which

happen to ordinary honest business people, who get lured in by

www.paypal.com and their promises.

• 3 years later...