Masks in airplanes

Today on a domestic flight, I noticed that the announcement regarding masks had changed, it said: "We recommend to wear a mask at all times [...]".

The cabin crew reminded passengers who took off their masks to put them back on.

Upon specifically asking the cabin crew why the announcement says "recommended to wear", they told me that the announcement is wrong, and that it's still mandatory to wear a mask in the airplane.

What has your experience been? Of course from after 24th June, since wearing a mask is no longer required by law, before this is irrelevant.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Same reason we wear a mask in 7-11 - to protect the staff. Airline  staff are exposed to hundreds of people a day. As the covid induced air flight  cancelations demonstrate these are essential workers. I'm totally bored with people that are so obsessed with their own "personal liberties" that they resent being asked to wear a mask protect others ????

Many European flights does not require masks anymore, even if BA5 if on the lose at the moment

and the BA5 are suspected to create a new wave across Europe this summer if not all over.

We do not have to wear masks during out 6 hour flight to Tenerife from DK.

Seems like there is a huge difference from airline to airline across the world.

• Like 1

You got it wrong FriendlyFarang. What happened on June 23 which was published in the Royal Gazette on June 24 was that the mandate for wearing a mask out in the public (not in the shopping centres or any other enclosed areas) was changed to be a persons option to wear a mask or not but this is only in public places like parklands, the beach, or any other area in the open but not at any sporting or entertainment events where there is a crowd.

6 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Same reason we wear a mask in 7-11 - to protect the staff. Airline  staff are exposed to hundreds of people a day. As the covid induced air flight  cancelations demonstrate these are essential workers. I'm totally bored with people that are so obsessed with their own "personal liberties" that they resent being asked to wear a mask protect others

Alan Joyce, the CEO of Qantas, disagrees with you. Do a web search “Qantas Joyce masks”

12 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Alan Joyce, the CEO of Qantas, disagrees with you. Do a web search “Qantas Joyce masks”

I'm wrong that some people are so obsessed with their "personal liberties" that they resent being asked to wear a mask protect others? You haven't met my neighbors ????

• Like 2

In the early 1980s. I travelled on Gulfair from London to Bahrain. Some few rows behind me a woman kept up a persistent coughing, sneezing and sniffling all through the flight. 3 days later I came down with severe cold and the next edition of Gulf News reported a severe respiratory epidemic had spread through the Island.

It may have been a coincidence but with hindsight maybe a mask might have prevented it.

The air inside an aircraft is recycled every few minutes and the purification systems are not designed to catch germs. Wear your mask if asked.

• Like 1

This morning, International flight with Thai Airways, message: "We recommend to wear a mask at all times"

No correction if you did not wear mask, Most people did wear it, maybe 5-10 did not. I wore upon boarding and exit the plane when every body stand so close to each other.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:35 PM, bbko said:

within 24 hours of me arriving in Thailand I came down with a fever/cough, ended up being strep throat.

"How long does it take to get strep throat once exposed?
It usually takes two to five days for someone exposed to group A strep to become ill with strep throat. It is important to know that some infected people do not have symptoms or seem sick. People sick with strep throat are much more contagious than those who do not have symptoms."

• 2 weeks later...

On a Jetstar flight from Melbourne to BKK 9-10 hours at the beginning of July, masks were not compulsory and as a result a lot of people did not wear them, including the woman sitting next to me who had a couple of massive coughing bouts on that journey.  I tested positive a few days after arrival and are still testing positive 10 days later even though symptoms have gone. Hard to say for sure but it seems likely that person had Covid and my standard surgical type mask did not save me, I should have had a better mask, but in my opinion if is a HUGE mistake for mandatory mask requirements to have been removed on planes. I feel so sorry for the cabin crew as well. For them it isn't just one flight.

• Like 1