Favourite Axe Man (Guitarist)

Nothing to do with Thailand (or Asia) Maybe mods can put make a general chit-chat forum, but Youtube served up a delight for me this morning & it got me thinking about great "Axe Men" (Guitarists). 

I'll name mine (& the song) if it comes up, but would love to hear if anybody else has a favourite guitarist/song... 

P.S. Hendrix/Santana defy comment ???? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

So many to choose from but I think Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin would be my ultimate choice.

My dad used to knock about with Ian Paice (Deep Purple) and always said that Jimmy Page was one of the finest musicians to ever live... 

How about Richie Blackmore (Rainbow) - High Noon well I'd sell my soul for water... (Stargazer)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mentors65 said:

Robin Trower, Stan Webb, Peter Green, Michael Schenker

Hands up, at 1st blush I thought I didn't know any of them, but then remembered Robin Trower (Procol Harum ) for "Whiter shade of pale" - Awesome...  

The others, I'm sorry I don't know but will google/youtube them ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Hands up, at 1st blush I thought I didn't know any of them, but then remembered Robin Trower (Procol Harum ) for "Whiter shade of pale" - Awesome...  

The others, I'm sorry I don't know but will google/youtube them ????

Robin Trower w/ Procol Harum is like Jimi Hendrix w/ Isley Brothers ????

So many great guitarist, really hard to pick top 10.

• Like 2

Matteo Mancuso, Jon Gomm, Joshua Meader, Pierre Bensusan, Mike Dawes and many many others that are more wellknown and deserve it (Knopfler or Hendrix for example). I would exclude very well known but massively overestimated "stars" like Eric Clapton etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

Jimmy Page. Will never be equaled let alone surpassed. ( Had dinner with him in Pattaya years ago)

Lol, awesome... One to tell the Grand Kids - Page, Pattaya, what could be better ???? 

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

Lol, awesome... One to tell the Grand Kids - Page, Pattaya, what could be better ????

None yet - son smarter than me !

He is a real nice guy, down to earth, kind.

Led Zeppelin 2 changed my life - Whole Lotta Love in particular.

Order an 8 track from some guys in school for my 57 Chevy. They grabbed one from a BMW, along with a beer box full of tapes. LZ 2 was in there. Never heard music like that in my life.

Hair got longer, smokes got greener, got a HD

And away I went ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, seedy said:

None yet - son smarter than me !

He is a real nice guy, down to earth, kind.

Led Zeppelin 2 changed my life - Whole Lotta Love in particular.

Order an 8 track from some guys in school for my 57 Chevy. They grabbed one from a BMW, along with a beer box full of tapes. LZ 2 was in there. Never heard music like that in my life.

Hair got longer, smokes got greener, got a HD

And away I went ...

Lol, when I read that I had this going through my head... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Issanman said:

Chet Atkins

Johnny Winter

Thank you, these are 2 new names for me which I will google/youtube (initial search on Chet says Country, I love all kinds of music so always good to get tips on genres I'm not too familiar with) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

That's sacrilege & unfair as Hendrix used to play his guitar upside down.... Lets see Stevie Ray do that (Actually I would would have loved to see Stevie Ray play the guitar ????  )

Also, he played with Bowie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

My dad used to knock about with Ian Paice (Deep Purple) and always said that Jimmy Page was one of the finest musicians to ever live... 

How about Richie Blackmore (Rainbow) - High Noon well I'd sell my soul for water... (Stargazer)

Ian Paice is a drummer.

Richie Blackmore was in Deep Purple and Rainbow.

• Like 1