UPDATE: CCTV shows Australian man accidentally fell from hotel in Patong while balancing on rooftop railing

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Patong, Phuket – CCTV footage at a hotel in Patong clearly showed a 19-year-old Australian man who was walking around a pool on a wall and then a railing accidentally fell down, say law enforcement officers familiar with the investigation. Phuket Police told the press no foul play took place while the victim’s relatives also believe it was a tragic accident.

The CCTV on the roof top of the sixth floor at the Patong hotel shows the man, now identified publicly as 19-year-old Joshua James Connell, was walking on a raised wall above the pool around 5:45 P.M. He appeared to be practicing a type of parkour, according to Phuket Police, and jumped to a smaller white metal railing from the raised wall above the pool before losing his balance and falling down.

Mr. Connell, who was wearing only swimming shorts and was barefoot, had tried to restore his balance, tottering like a tightrope walker for about fifteen seconds, but tragically tumbled six stories below.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/07/01/update-cctv-shows-australian-man-accidentally-fell-from-hotel-in-patong-while-balancing-on-rooftop-railing/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 202207-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

Does acting like a total **** and paying the near inevitable price really qualify as a "tragic accident"?

Russian Roulette on a railing.

Well, the prefrontal cortex doesn't fully develop til like 25, so.....we all did stupid <deleted> when we were his age.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He appeared to be practicing a type of parkour, according to Phuket Police, and jumped to a smaller white metal railing from the raised wall above the pool before losing his balance and falling down.

Note to self.. don't try parkour 6 stories up.

The first reporting of this incident was immediately closed for comment by the admin staff, decision I agreed with knowing the history of some of our less savory members.

The trash that has been posted here shows clearly that they originally made a good editorial decision, one that should have been repeated here. Many of the posts here are utterly disgraceful!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:
7 hours ago, Enoon said:

Does acting like a total **** and paying the near inevitable price really qualify as a "tragic accident"?

Yes, did you never do anything stupid when you were young

Not many people do things quite as ridiculously stupid as this Australian did!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not many people do things quite as ridiculously stupid as this Australian did!

I have done some really stupid things during my lifetime and got away with all of them, more or less. At 80, though, there's still time for me to run out of luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, did you never do anything stupid when you were young despite which you miraculously survived?

Nope...pretty boring spent youth; and I'm still alive and kicking at 57 and even dodged such dangerous swimming pools in Thailand the last 20 years.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Nope...pretty boring spent youth; and I'm still alive and kicking at 57 and even dodged such dangerous swimming pools in Thailand the last 20 years.

Never drove drunk? Never owned a high powered motorcycle? Never took a recreational drug other than cannabis? Never had unprotected sex with a sexually promiscuous girl? Never swam in shark infested waters? etc. etc? Your life was that boring?

Edited by ozimoron

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I was in bomb disposal for about 5 years, that got quite silly sometimes ????????????

Agreed... I was 23 at the time..

grew up kinda quick, as I'm posting I got back, some of my mates didn't.

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed... I was 23 at the time..

grew up kinda quick, as I'm posting I got back, some of my mates didn't.

About the same age me then, Belfast was a real hoot, Grand Central Hotel.         Belfast kept us busy ????

15 hours ago, rwill said:

People in their teens feel so invincible.

Felt invincible all the way up to a terrible bicycle accident at 50. That changed my perspective ... quite dramatically.

But I did what this guy did on Heidelberg Castle's battlement - a 200' drop if I'd come off on the wrong side ... I was thirtyish at the time ... people I was with were terrified but that's what I wanted.

Same 'surfing' on the outside of city transit trains - turns other passengers' faces white 555

I'd never do anything remotely like that now - I'm too aware of my mortality. Keep my kicks to things like flying or diving.

Certainly wouldn't ever ride a bike in LOS again after trying it once only. Autos have absolutely NO respect for or possibly even awareness of cyclists as the death toll of experienced cyclists shows.

I've been very lucky in life in many ways. So sad the way this young lad ended. 

Edited by BusyB

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Never drove drunk? Never owned a high powered motorcycle? Never took a recreational drug other than cannabis? Never had unprotected sex with a sexually promiscuous girl? Never swam in shark infested waters? etc. etc? Your life was that boring?

Motorcycles are death traps, but sharks ain't interested in you as a diver. Swimming with them is an interesting experience nonetheless ...