Youth reps urge online sales ban and no advertising of weed to protect young people

webfact

"...........new laws to be known as the Cannabis Act..."

Very original - short and to the point to avoid confusion on the part of those who partake of the substance.

No confusing statements like :- "Rules and Regulations for the  indulging and partaking of Marijuana in the "New Amazing Land of the Happy Smiles"!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimboB4 said:

Just require a copy of your Thai ID card or passport when ordering online to verify age. Simple. 

I presume you are adding a photo of you with your id card and/or passport to that statement, or its a bit of a pointless id check otherwise 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She said she was not against medical marijuana but recreational use should be banned. 

The only thing requested that I disagree with.

I am all for restricting access to under 20's. No advertising.

Online sales is tricky, as age confirmation is not so simple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I presume you are adding a photo of you with your id card and/or passport to that statement, or its a bit of a pointless id check otherwise 

By that rationale so is doing it in person lol you can buy it for someone else just as easily in person but it matters not the laws are already here. This is just merely a small group of people who are calling for new laws which appear to be falling on def ears mostly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

No, misinformation the laws are already in place but there is a SMALL group of people calling for new laws. Just require a copy of your Thai ID card or passport when ordering online to verify age. Simple. 

Do you not think that most children are not smart enough to use the internet with a fake ID or "borrow" their parents or an older friends ID card?

Cannabis has been around a long time before it was legal and there will be even easier ways to get it due to the half arzzed way that the law was set up in the first place.

All these problems should have been sorted out long before the got to this stage, but look who has been pushing it the most.

• Like 1

As usual, Thailand is concerned about The Children© and never mind the vocational college murder gangs or helmetless motobike speedsters. The threat of alcohol affecting their innocent brains has pushed government bans on alcohol advertising, which Chang utterly destroyed when it advertised in the Premier League. Now there is concern that The Children© might be affected by cannabis. Never mind that it has been easily available forever, together with harder drugs.

While I accept Thais try to avoid uncertainty by having a law for everything, the main difference with other countries is that people just ignore them because there is a lack of enforcement and willingness to solve problems. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He did not specifically address the idea of an online sales ban, just that youth should be protected.

And how does Suphachai propose to do that, ask them nicely to not take Marijuana substances, it doesn't seem to work out that well for all the other drugs that are available.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Thicha presented their demands in a letter to Bhumjaithai MP Suphachai Jaisamut who has promised that his commitee will come up with recommendations for the Cannabis Act in the coming months.

Considering it was legalised earlier this month that's farcical.

Anutin should be dismissed for gross incompetence at forcing this through, considering he's the "health minister".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Think things out?  

That is the major reason they never should have opened the can of worms. 

History:  can't solve traffic problems, can't control sales of alcohol to minors. Years ago made a law can't sell 300M from a school which even themselves don't understand nor able to enforce, hanging wires everywhere even after clean was done,  roads full of holes right after they were just fixed,  the see saw decisions the last 2 plus years with Covid,  the list is so long the leaders can't figure left from right worry there are many reasons the youth and everyone else need to worry!

Another great decision by leaders who claim they care but continue to step on the necks of their population so they can control.

Land of Smiles just get a Weed instead of a flower when you visit have a good smoke waiting for a stone taxis while they hit you with duel pricing and scams   so when one bends over it be like getting a colon cleanse before Dr. Oh give you your digital checkup.  ????

Edited by thailand49
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, lujanit said:

I can see online sales and advertizing being banned similar to alcohol.  Either that or the ban on alcohol should be lifted.  Then again TIT.

Why would we lift the alcohol ban, weed is less damaging. So let the alcies suffer they were enjoying it when weed was illegal looking down on weed users, so maybe they need a taste of their own medicine. (more a tongue in cheek remark im not that vindictive). Online buying of alcohol would make things better as it will allow smaller beer sellers (with the new law change) get to a larger public. So it will probably not happen as the major players don't like a level playing field.

I agree that young people should be protected and cannabis use among kids should be discouraged / illegal. 

The online sale thing is a hot topic for both alcohol and cannabis, i wonder how they can prevent minors buying. Even if you make people put in their details and have them verified, these details can be stolen by youth. So no system will ever be full proof. Same goes for just normal buying of cannabis and alcohol. Buying by proxy is always possible.

20 hours ago, timendres said:

The only thing requested that I disagree with.

I am all for restricting access to under 20's. No advertising.

Online sales is tricky, as age confirmation is not so simple.

Pay with credit card ?

I'm no smoker/eater myself and the reek of skunk on London streets used to make me gag.. but these Youth Training Centre reps will be the ones in the classroom who have a personality deficit, and who never question their pathetic old grandma's values. Instead of trusting common sense in their own age group, and thinking about the opportunities for small businesses after 2.5 years of economic disaster, they will be threatened because of their own narrow-minded view of the world. For that reason I'm glad cannabis is off the narcotics list???? Anything to rattle those boring f*@*@*s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1