Thailand Praised by Islamic Organization for Setting Example for Multicultural Society

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

YALA (NNT) - Thailand has been praised as a positive example of a multicultural society by delegates from the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC).

Delegates from the OIC, led by Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs Yousef Mohammed S.Aldobeay, traveled to the southern provinces of Thailand at the invitation of the Thai government from June 29-30, 2022.

The delegates visited the provinces of Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat and observed local communities, education programs and religious activities.

The assistant secretary-general commended the Thai government for looking after the Muslim community in the southern provinces and addressing disputes in a peaceful manner.

The OIC delegates also affirmed that Thailand set a positive example for a multicultural society where everyone can live together regardless of race, ethnicity, nationalities and religion.

Rear Adm Somkiat Pholprayoon, secretary-general of Southern Border Provinces Administrative Center (SBPAC), said the visit by the OIC delegates represented a good opportunity for local communities in provinces to express their views.

He noted to the OIC that Thailand prioritizes multiculturalism and equality as one of the main policies set by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, and that the OIC visit directly reflects those commitments to the international community.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-07-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I am wondering if the more peaceful relations between Thai muslims and others in the south is the sole triumph of the Prayuth era? It certainly has calmed down a lot since the TakBai and Krue Se events under Dr.Thaksin's term.

This is only one incident, but in my former office, we had a dozen Thai IT Professionals, a new manager was selected, and I asked one of the workers why another individual was not selected - he had been there the longest and was actially the most qualified for the job.  Her comment to me was  "Oh, he is not Thai, he is Muslim"  He was from the deep south.  That was a number of years ago, but begs the question if the same attitude toward Southern Thai's is still the same today.          Peace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The assistant secretary-general commended the Thai government for looking after the Muslim community in the southern provinces and addressing disputes in a peaceful manner.

What'd he been smoking?

29 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

It doesn't always have to be about you you know.

Poor TVF posters are sooooooo persecuted....

It's never been about me, and I have never had an issue with a single Thai, nor do I feel persecuted, that said, I was merely explaining a given for those who can take off their blinkers and can see what I was talking about, i.e. Thailand has had a selective multicultural and ethnic pluralism since the 80's.

The above said, it has never been an assimilation model. Cultural rights for ethnic minorities are still outstanding and are exoticized and of course used for tourist purposes. 

What is the Difference Between Multiculturalism and Pluralism - Pediaa.Com

3 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Ce n'est qu'un incident, mais dans mon ancien bureau, nous avions une douzaine de professionnels thaïlandais de l'informatique, un nouveau responsable a été sélectionné et j'ai demandé à l'un des travailleurs pourquoi une autre personne n'avait pas été sélectionnée - il était là depuis le plus longtemps et était en fait le les plus qualifiés pour le poste. Son commentaire pour moi était "Oh, il n'est pas thaïlandais, il est musulman". Il venait du sud profond. C'était il y a quelques années, mais on peut se demander si la même attitude envers les Thaïlandais du Sud est toujours la même aujourd'hui. Paix

This member of your corporation know better the reality what mean islam, better than numerous west peoples ,so naive about this sect ! He , like me don t want to commit a previous suicide !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

They  make me puke,  so  when will  some of those muslim countries be  allowing open worship for other religions, building of  places  of  worship and spreading the word of other religions, when will muslims be  able to convert to christianity in  other countries  freely? Maybe he  should try a  trip to his "brothers"  (note  not  sisters) in Iran for example. Or  pop to Afghanistan, Saudi etc etc

All religions are  sick, but this is  one of the sickest.

That “ religion” (like all) is obviously complete evil nonsense & the “motherlode of bad ideas” (Sam Harris).  Buddhism is a Philosophy not really a Religion.. . 

Thailand is Thai Buddhist Vast Majority so NOT remotely

” Multicultural” , an idea that has no real “value” & that has completely failed everywhere.

It means if you are a Muslim, in UK for example, you are treated only as a Muslim in a Majority non- Muslim society. Different Laws & Schooling etc. What a Crock. 

Clearly Islam is utterly incompatible with any modern free society. 

8 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

This is only one incident, but in my former office, we had a dozen Thai IT Professionals, a new manager was selected, and I asked one of the workers why another individual was not selected - he had been there the longest and was actially the most qualified for the job.  Her comment to me was  "Oh, he is not Thai, he is Muslim"  He was from the deep south.  That was a number of years ago, but begs the question if the same attitude toward Southern Thai's is still the same today.          Peace

there is nothing benign about that death cult and you know it. submit or die is the better meaning of its name, not peace. kthxbye.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Did he have a white cane?

On 7/4/2022 at 7:54 PM, Lemsta69 said:

there is nothing benign about that death cult and you know it. submit or die is the better meaning of its name, not peace. kthxbye.

I agree but not according to ex president Obama's ridiculous statement some years back!

Barak Obama.jpg

I know there is a problem down south ,but it could be that ,here you dont see women walking around dressed like penguins , there are no terrorist shootings all the time and muslims dont seem to be constantly demanding that everything is done their way ,

they just seem to blend in ,well here in Pattaya they seem to anyway .