Bangkok bank closures

essex boys

When I landed at Swampy a couple of months back I was shocked to learn that the THREE Bangkok Bank ATMs out front were out-of-service.

Had to use a U.S. card for hey-I'm-in-a-foreign-country cash, taking the account under minimum balance and not just costing me a lot of money but hassle too with the bank.

Saw a few out-of-service BBK ATMs here in Pattaya too.  Not a good look.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well, to see that Bangkok Bank has a branch at North Pattaya road. Another few hundred meters away in Tesco Mall. Another probably close by in Terminal 21. Plus several ATMs ... A shrinking process makes sense, seems overdue, the more as Thais may discover online banking.

• Like 1

Happening everywhere. ATMs are disappearing, branches are closing, banking is moving to mobile phones and internet banking sites.

But if that National Digital ID, apparently required for banking spreads to mobile transactions, non-Thais would have very limited banking options left.

Pretty much all the major banks have been reassessing their real estate portfolio and footprints

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/40014873

I suspect that post-C19 and with the advancement of various “e-“ forms of payments, deposits and such, this will only continue.

While my BBL accounts are all at their 333 Silom office, I do know the branch managers of a few other offices in the general area and have heard that the head office is always looking at branches long-term viability.. not just accounts opened or assets under control, but net foot traffic, type of traffic, quantity and type of transactions being conducted in-branch etc. 

12 hours ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

When I landed at Swampy a couple of months back I was shocked to learn that the THREE Bangkok Bank ATMs out front were out-of-service.

Had to use a U.S. card for hey-I'm-in-a-foreign-country cash

If you have a Bangkok Bank ATM card you can use it in most Thai bank machines. I assume there were other bank ATMs somewhere in the airport, so the problems you had were unnecessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

The bank teller told my wife that the reason is that most Thais do their banking on their phone now.

Did your wife ask what we do when the app is down, as happened at the end of last month with all three main banks?

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

But if that National Digital ID, apparently required for banking spreads to mobile transactions, non-Thais would have very limited banking options left.

Already, I was unable to use a Bangkok Bank card in a KrungThai ATM (the Bangkok Bank machine, subject of this thread, had been removed). Fortunately, a Kasikorn ATM nearby wasn't so fussy.

Imagine you're a tourist and when you arrive you discover that to use an ATM you need a Thai ID card. Of course, that would never occur to Thais as they never think of the consequences of what they do. So, eventually, expect a typically Thai U-turn.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As above

"Cashless" society, internet banking takes away a lot of traditional branch business.

Compare:

Deutsche Bank has no more cash at most of their branches. I was somewhat puzzled to read this.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I assume there were other bank ATMs somewhere in the airport, so the problems you had were unnecessary.

This of course assumes that I have no experience with using Bangkok Bank cards in other bank ATMs, and that that experience didn't leave me without a card.

How fun would it be to lose my only Thailand card at the tail end of 40 hours of travel and with only 120 baht in my pocket?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

The main annoyance now that so many branches have closed is that people who need to go to a bank usually have complicated transactions to be dealt with.....so the queues are long and the waits even longer. Grrrrrrrr

All these changes have been happening in Australia for many years; very big reductions in total numbers of ATM machines, big numbers of branches closed all banks.

I'm aware of one bank which has reduced branches to one per state (and not all states). Customers have an ATM/Debit card, can get cash* from any ATM, bank instantly reimbursed other bank ATM costs. (*Cash rarely used now in Australia, 99% of all transactions is by quick touch debit cards.)

Customer cannot deposit cash at the actual bank because there's no branches (except 1 in most capital cities). Customer can depsoit cash at any other bank for instant transfer to their own bank which instantly reimburses any other bank deposit charges.

Old/new customers can do anything by online or telephone banking.

This bank is attractive for another reason; no 'press 6 for credit cards' etc. A bank officer (could be anywhere in one of their capital city offices (they have no other offices) answers every incoming call. Cannot transfer the call, same officer has comprehensive training and capabilities and must  complete whatever the customer wants by phone. Bank officer (on the phone) can easily/quickly talk the customer through uploading documents etc, showing bank products and more, especially if the customer downloads the bank app., all quick and easy. Excellent security including repeat security checks during phone calls etc., by voice recognition and more. 

Edited by scorecard

It would be nice if due to closures they enhanced the ones that remain, my one branch of BBL has an average waiting time of an HOUR for anything you need at the counter, the 3 girls there take an average of 15 minutes per customer, they even have confy chairs to sit at the desk ! Everything seems so paperwork heavy.

I dare say in 10 years we will be almost cashless! certainly like that now in the UK by all accounts with many places refusing cash.

But what do we disenfranchised expats do when our embassies renege on income letters and we have to drag ourselves into our BB branch to obtain credit advices and annual statements for Immigration???

OK BB open branches in all Immigration Offices!

Or even better Embassies/Immigration do a deal on income letters!

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

All these changes have been happening in Australia for many years; very big reductions in total numbers of ATM machines, big numbers of branches closed all banks.

I'm aware of one bank which has reduced branches to one per state (and not all states). Customers have an ATM/Debit card, can get cash* from any ATM, bank instantly reimbursed other bank ATM costs. (*Cash rarely used now in Australia, 99% of all transactions is by quick touch debit cards.)

Customer cannot deposit cash at the actual bank because there's no branches (except 1 in most capital cities). Customer can depsoit cash at any other bank for instant transfer to their own bank which instantly reimburses any other bank deposit charges.

Old/new customers can do anything by online or telephone banking.

This bank is attractive for another reason; no 'press 6 for credit cards' etc. A bank officer (could be anywhere in one of their capital city offices (they have no other offices) answers every incoming call. Cannot transfer the call, same officer has comprehensive training and capabilities and must  complete whatever the customer wants by phone. Bank officer (on the phone) can easily/quickly talk the customer through uploading documents etc, showing bank products and more, especially if the customer downloads the bank app., all quick and easy. Excellent security including repeat security checks during phone calls etc., by voice recognition and more. 

Sorry but customers cannot do everything on a banking app-see my previous response

• Like 2

15 hours ago, essex boys said:

it seemed a busy branch to me

Yes indeed, when I lived in Khon Kaen Province pre-Covid-19. Great shame reading of its closure. Being a former Bangkok Bank customer, I regularly used the service counters and ATMs at this busy Tesco supermarket. I used to withdraw cash here to use across the road in MAKRO at its "cash only" checkout. If my memory is correct, wasn't there a Krung Thai Bank next door to the Bangkok Bank in Tesco Lotus?? 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

You can use your Bangkok Bank Card at krungsri banks atm 2 times in 1 month no charges.

My biggest complaint is people paying with their phones now, it takes forever, either the person doesn’t know how to use it or the system is very slow.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Sorry but customers cannot do everything on a banking app-see my previous response

Totally agree.

Not only the necessary letter and statements for immigration, but getting a new passbook.....which I have to do this week because the pathetically small one they provide very quickly fills up !

Will have to stop doing updates !

Both my "local" BB and SCB branches have closed during Covid. 

One space now occupied by a Watson and the other a Starbucks. 

That local BB branch was 5 minutes from home. 

Now the nearest big Center is a 20 minute drive. 

Finally, I still withdraw my Oz pension# from a BB atm and deposit it into a CDM alongside. 

Think I'll have to look at opening a Wise account and use that to transfer to my BB account here.

# Oz pension (Superannuation) will only pay it into an Oz bank !

• Like 1

Same in Kumphawapi market branch was open 7 days a week …. Closed in June. US social security 

direct deposit BKBank is a special deposit account with no ATM or Internet access.

When you need money must go to branch in person and in my case I transfer monies to another useable BKBank account …. So once a month trip to branch required…. It’s ok but a pain. 

Only one BKBANK in the small town… next nearest branch 90 km away…. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

In Australia, my credit union AFAIK only has one branch per state. I haven't been in any of their branches for 15 years.

I seem to be able to manage all my banking affairs by email and phone from Thailand - direct debits, Bpay, transfers to here. I think I wrote my last cheque in 2014.

When I am in Australia, it's very rare for me to need cash. Just about everything there gets paid with a debit card.

Here,they still have savings passbooks.

Banks have found they save themselves a bundle by doing everything with a stream of electrons, over paper-based transactions. IMO Thai Banks are waking up to that too.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

It would be nice if due to closures they enhanced the ones that remain, my one branch of BBL has an average waiting time of an HOUR for anything you need at the counter, the 3 girls there take an average of 15 minutes per customer, they even have confy chairs to sit at the desk ! Everything seems so paperwork heavy.

I dare say in 10 years we will be almost cashless! certainly like that now in the UK by all accounts with many places refusing cash.

My most recent shopping sprees in UK have come up with cash accepted everywhere. That is for every day purchases.

Large items, such as cars, usually require a deposit on a card and bank transfer. Something to do with money laundering restrictions.

• Like 2